News New DVC Resale Restrictions Regarding Riveria and Reflections Resorts

eliza61nyc

This is exactly it. I book far out now BECAUSE of availability. I prefer to wait and see flights, but I can't. My best hope is to find decent flights or hopefully be able to bump my reservation a day or two either way.

This is one I've never understood. We decided to take a quickie, last minute trip next month. had no problem getting a room. Yes it's mainly saratoga springs but I got a 1 bedroom for 3 days. Now I totally admit that if you have 'specific" request that you must have, dvc may not be for you.

I don't know any timeshare that you don't have to make some advance reservations. Heck I don't know a lot of hotels in popular places that you can do this. If you want to stay in times square during NY's eve, do you think you're going to get a room 1 month out?? I went to Paris last minute in June, any thing near popular tourist spots was booked.

Anyone who thinks they are going to get an Epcot resort are villa 2 months out does not understand dvc. In real estate location is key. I think that's why I encourage the mantra of "buying where you stay". If someone wants to go cheap and purchase HH thinking it's going to be easy to get BCV's they fooled themselves.

If you don't get decent airfare to you cancel trips? usually I know what dates I want to go on vacation.

TOCPE82

This is one I've never understood. We decided to take a quickie, last minute trip next month. had no problem getting a room. Yes it's mainly saratoga springs but I got a 1 bedroom for 3 days. Now I totally admit that if you have 'specific" request that you must have, dvc may not be for you.

I don't know any timeshare that you don't have to make some advance reservations. Heck I don't know a lot of hotels in popular places that you can do this. If you want to stay in times square during NY's eve, do you think you're going to get a room 1 month out?? I went to Paris last minute in June, any thing near popular tourist spots was booked.

Anyone who thinks they are going to get an Epcot resort are villa 2 months out does not understand dvc. In real estate location is key. I think that's why I encourage the mantra of "buying where you stay". If someone wants to go cheap and purchase HH thinking it's going to be easy to get BCV's they fooled themselves.

If you don't get decent airfare to you cancel trips? usually I know what dates I want to go on vacation.

The way the pricing works, the 1-bedrooms are the worst value and usually the easiest to find in my experience. Try finding a studio, especially a studio that isn't "deluxe" or whatever they're calling premium view rooms now. It isn't easy. And I'm not picky about where I stay at all.

I think part of it is the way Disney has been, at least since the mid-90s hotel boom. Pre-DVC we never had issues getting a hotel 2-3 months out. The glut of hotel rooms on property always benefited us. As it is, we usually book 5-6 months out because that's when flights come out, but as a teacher I don't always know the days I'll be available to go, with different trainings, events and off days, etc. I've lucked out so far.

cmb5002

This is exactly it. I book far out now BECAUSE of availability. I prefer to wait and see flights, but I can't. My best hope is to find decent flights or hopefully be able to bump my reservation a day or two either way.

I'm fortunate in that there are 4 major airports within decent driving distance of my home. And Southwest has 10 direct flights daily from BWI to MCO. I can book at 11 months with ease, knowing a flight will be available and cheap. I can imagine the heartburn of having a regional airport with only one flight. It would make booking much more anxiety inducing.

TOCPE82

I'm fortunate in that there are 4 major airports within decent driving distance of my home. And Southwest has 10 direct flights daily from BWI to MCO. I can book at 11 months with ease, knowing a flight will be available and cheap. I can imagine the heartburn of having a regional airport with only one flight. It would make booking much more anxiety inducing.

This is exactly it. SW is at that airport, but they rarely have direct (though they did for several years - not anymore!). It's almost always through BWI or MDW, sometimes both, and you have to watch the prices like a hawk unless you like 2 layovers with 2 kiddos. I am equidistant between Detroit and Chicago, but both involve hauling kiddos 3 hours and paying for parking and probably a shorter vacation.

TL:DR - I hate flying out of my city.

MickeyMinnieMom

I'm curious why both of you feel this way? Could you explain?
How is that going to solve anything? People are not likely to let their points go to waste (given the investment they have in them), whether they use them, give them, or rent them. The capacity is going to be utilized either way.
Guessing it would make it easier to actually get a worthwhile booking <7mos. It’s a mess right now IMO.

Minthorne

...Now they just need to crack down on the point rentals which I think are a bigger problem.

Should they ban all point rentals?

For all existing contracts before Riviera it would be impossible to ban point rentals. The ability to rent is written into the contract.

1547061934968.png

nickys

Premium Member

How?

1) It is explicitly allowed in the rules.
2) There is no way to identify whether someone is renting or not. If the owner lets their brother and his family stay or free, or rents out his points to a complete stranger, there is nothing that distinguishes between them.
3) The rooms are all booked by an owner either way.

4) Although rentals did put pressure on availability....
it is not because they’re rented out per se. Previously, before renting became so popular, if someone couldn’t use their points, they let them go to waste, thus leaving available rooms on the table. Now they rent them out so the points are used, thus less availability.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

For all existing contracts before Riviera it would be impossible to ban point rentals. The ability to rent is written into the contract.

View attachment 339725
All true... but let's look at that cute phrase "or rent them solely through the Club Members own efforts".

It's the "solely through the Club Members own efforts" I wonder about. Any Lawyers on board that would like to "play Disney" for a moment, and offer an interpretation of "solely through the Club Members own efforts"? Just me... it sort of looks like a built in dodge against Rental AGENCIES.

Lensman

I wonder if it would improve things to make the home-resort window go from 5-11 months instead of 7-11 months? That way you could book your (6-month APEX) airline tickets with your home resort booking.

Could they make that change or is the 7-month window written into the contracts?

Moderation note: Do we really need this thread in rumors and the same thread over in the DVC forum?
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/nw-resale-restrictions-as-of-jan-19th.952387

nickys

Premium Member
I wonder if it would improve things to make the home-resort window go from 5-11 months instead of 7-11 months? That way you could book your (6-month APEX) airline tickets with your home resort booking.

Could they make that change or is the 7-month window written into the contracts?

Moderation note: Do we really need this thread in rumors and the same thread over in the DVC forum?
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/nw-resale-restrictions-as-of-jan-19th.952387

IIRC, the only thing written into the contracts is that there will be a home resort booking advantage of at least one month.

And yes, the second poster here tried to redirect people to the DVC forum thread - so much for that eh? ;)

Lensman

All true... but let's look at that cute phrase "or rent them solely through the Club Members own efforts".

It's the "solely through the Club Members own efforts" I wonder about. Any Lawyers on board that would like to "play Disney" for a moment, and offer an interpretation of "solely through the Club Members own efforts"? Just me... it sort of looks like a built in dodge against Rental AGENCIES.
I do wonder what they meant by that as well. Though too draconian an interpretation would lead to ridiculousness like:
1. Not being able to advertise your rental anywhere unless you did it on your own website.
2. Running said website on servers you built yourself.
3. Operating said servers at your house.
4. Operating said servers using electricity generated by your rooftop solar array (or riding a bicycle)
5. Hmm. How to connect to the internet solely through your own efforts...

Lol

Minthorne

I think you are right. They don’t want a company set up that buys points and rents them. Some how the current rental brokers are able to exist despite this wording. I’m not sure if that is because DVD hasn’t bothered to go after them yet or if they are within the allowed parameters of the contracts.

Last edited:

Minthorne

IIRC, the only thing written into the contracts is that there will be a home resort booking advantage of at least one month.

And yes, the second poster here tried to redirect people to the DVC forum thread - so much for that eh? ;)

You know, I never notice what forum threads are in - I’m a ‘What’s New’ junkie!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom