News New DVC Resale Restrictions Regarding Riveria and Reflections Resorts

flyerjab

Original Poster
My wife just discovered this bit of news in the DVC resale world that goes into effect following January 19th of the 2019 calendar year.

If you buy a resale contract at any of the currently existing resorts, you will not be able to use those resale points at either the upcoming Riviera Resort or the Reflections wilderness inspired DVC rooms.

Additionally, if in the future you purchase resale contracts at either of these two new DVC locations - Riviera and/or Reflections - you will only be able to use those resale points at the resort that the contract is related to. Meaning those resale points won’t be usable at any of the other pre-existing DVC locations.

Last edited:

lostpro9het

My wife just discovered this bit of news in the DVC resale world that goes into effect following the 2019 calendar year.

If you buy a resale contract at any of the currently existing resorts, you will not be able to use those resale points at either the upcoming Riviera Resort or the Reflections wilderness inspired DVC rooms.

Additionally, if in the future you purchase resale contracts at either of these two new DVC locations - Riviera and/or Reflections - you will only be able to use those resale points at the resort that the contract is related to. Meaning those resale points won’t be usable at any of the other pre-existing DVC locations.

I will look to see if I can find where she read this.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/nw-resale-restrictions-as-of-jan-19th.952387/#post-8516315

SpaceMountain77

If true, this is excellent news for individuals who purchased directly through DVC and the reservation system as a whole. Simply put, if you purchase at Disney's Rivera Resort for half price or less through resale, then you will not be able to book rooms at Disney's Polynesian Villas and Bungalows or the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, which are currently $220 per point.

Last edited:

matt9112

tightening the grip on DVC ownership what gives you the right to own DVC without paying the piper. it makes sense but honestly current DVC new rates are absurd so good luck with all this.

Surfin' Tuna

Well... They have to do something to get people to keep buying direct. Don't change the corporate thinking, just change the rules.
I was going to say the same thing. DVC is the only timeshare that can easily be resold. This had to give a slight ego boost to the DVC management, but it also has to really irritate them. The best thing to do is change the rules during the game. I've tried this in my marriage unsuccessfully, so I'm slightly jealous.

Sneezy62

It seems a lot of people are rationalizing this because their grandfathered resale points are not taking a hit. If they own their preferred resort they are ok but this puts a lot of pressure on Epcot and monorail resorts at 7 months as Riviera points will go farther at Boardwalk and Bay Lake Tower than they likely will at Riviera. SSR resale may go back in the bargain bin even if the monorail resorts hold their resale value.

Lensman

Newly resold points will still be able to be used to book all 14 resorts that are currently open, right? And resold Riviera points will only be able to be used to book Riviera? So it seems to me that if you're going to buy resale in the future, the original 14 resorts are the way to go.

I can't say I'm happy, but it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

eliza61nyc

I was going to say the same thing. DVC is the only timeshare that can easily be resold. This had to give a slight ego boost to the DVC management, but it also has to really irritate them. The best thing to do is change the rules during the game. I've tried this in my marriage unsuccessfully, so I'm slightly jealous.

lol, us women folk aren't as flexible.

eliza61nyc

So not sure how I feel about this, I purchased my contract back in the dark ages when there was nothing called resale. It actually doesn't surprise me though.

I know a number of members who hate the fact that some folks who purchase in at vero beach and hilton head, do so just to get cheap points and then use them at the mouse world. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they make even more restrictions on resale contracts.

eliza61nyc

Newly resold points will still be able to be used to book all 14 resorts that are currently open, right? And resold Riviera points will only be able to be used to book Riviera? So it seems to me that if you're going to buy resale in the future, the original 14 resorts are the way to go.

I can't say I'm happy, but it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Yes it is my understanding (and someone please correct me if it's not the case) that recent resold purchases will still be able to book any of the on site resorts.

This may have a side benefit that maybe it will put a slow down on resale prices. I'd add on points again if I could get Grand floridian or Beach club at 80 bucks. I purchased direct at BCV back in the early 2000's I think it was 82 bucks back then.

cmb5002

I purchased direct at BCV back in the early 2000's I think it was 82 bucks back then.

We bought BWV in 2015 at the same price/point (which is amazing to me). I can't believe the prices are in the $120's right now, without access to the discounts. Happy to have pulled the trigger when we did.

On-topic, I view this as an annoyance to the resale market. All the advice out their is buy where you want to stay. Anything else is proceed at your own risk.

TOCPE82

As an owner or part owner of 4-5 contracts, I'm torn on this.

On one hand, the ability to use DVC anywhere made me not care very much what contracts I bought. I avoided Hilton Head and Vero because Obviously. I love the flexibility.

On the other hand, it has become neigh impossible to get the reservations I want because of people from HH, VB and heck even Aulani using them at WDW, on top of the super pricey Poly Bungalows that sit empty and eat points. So to a point, I like this if it means I can get what I want easier.

And no, I'm not rich. My family bought them together under various ownership arrangements over ten years ago when I was a CM. We paid less than 70 a point even then! It's pretty chaotic.

Nick Pappagiorgio

As an owner or part owner of 4-5 contracts, I'm torn on this.

On one hand, the ability to use DVC anywhere made me not care very much what contracts I bought. I avoided Hilton Head and Vero because Obviously. I love the flexibility.

On the other hand, it has become neigh impossible to get the reservations I want because of people from HH, VB and heck even Aulani using them at WDW, on top of the super pricey Poly Bungalows that sit empty and eat points. So to a point, I like this if it means I can get what I want easier.

And no, I'm not rich. My family bought them together under various ownership arrangements over ten years ago when I was a CM. We paid less than 70 a point even then! It's pretty chaotic.

I think the other part is that it is also driving down interest in DVC as well. Anyone who does basic research on buying DVC quickly comes across forums of owners complaining about availability. If you book your vacations 11 months out you don't have a problem. If you prefer to wait for airline fares to come out at 6 months then DVC is a nonstarter.

Last edited:

TOCPE82

I think the other part is that it is also driving down interest in DVC as well. Anyone who does basic research on buying DVC quickly comes across forums of owners complaining about availability. If you book your vacations 11 months out you don't have a problem. Of you perfer to wait for airline fares to come out at 6 months then DVC is a nonstarter.
This is exactly it. I book far out now BECAUSE of availability. I prefer to wait and see flights, but I can't. My best hope is to find decent flights or hopefully be able to bump my reservation a day or two either way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom