New details on the Beauty and the Beast area

tl77

Original Poster
The new issue of Disney Files Magazine has an interview with Imagineer Tim Warzecha covering everything in the Beauty and the Beast area, a lot of it was news to me so I thought I'd share it, but there's some spoiler-ish stuff ahead so anyone who want to be surprised turn back now

--------SPOILER--------SPOILER--------SPOILER--------SPOILER--------SPOILER--------SPOILER--------SPOILER--------SPOILER--------SPOILER--------​

Beauty and the Beast venues scheduled to open late this year

Be Our Guest Restaurant
Positioned across a bridge through snow-capped mountains, the Beast's castle will be home to a meticulously detailed lunch-and-dinner restaurant (serving up a casual "great food fast" lunch experience and a more formal table-service dinner) designed to immerse Guests in one of animation's most iconic spaces.
"The restaurant's main dining room faithfully recreates the famous castle ballroom you see in the film" Tim said. "From intricate floor pattern to the towering windows at the end of the ballroom to those fantastic chandeliers, the layers of detail is incredible. Our designers have really out done themselves."
Among those details are snow flurries Guests will see through the ballroom windows, helping to create a space that feeds eyes and appetites alike, and during selected hours, additional seating will be available in the ominous Castle Dining Room, where a portrait gallery will showcase castle staffers as they appeared before falling under that spell.
At the center of the Castle Dining Room, a music-box style sculpture of a dancing Belle and Beast will rotate beneath a sky-inspired tile mosaic and a chandelier that warrants a second look.
"The chandelier is designed with a beautiful rose motif" Tim said. "It's a great example of that painstaking attention to detail."

Enchanted Tales with Belle
Representing the next evolution of character meet-and -greets, Enchanted Tales with Belle will welcome Guests inside Maurice's cottage, where they'll pass through a mind-bending magic mirror and into an interactive storytelling experience starring Belle and a scene-stealing Lumiere (representing the latest evolution of the Audio-Animatronics art form), with Guests cast in supporting roles. "I think it's going to redefine what it means to interact with characters," Tim said.

Bonjour! Village Gifts
At Bonjour! Village Gifts, Guests will find merchandise in a location inspired be Belle's beloved village. "One of the most striking elements of the store will be the specialty glass used in the windows," Tim revealed. "You'll actually see it throughout the Beauty and the Beast venues. We worked with a fifth-generation, family-run glassmaker, and the craftsmanship is remarkable. Particularly for people who return year after year and really appreciate the details, I think the glasswork is one of the area's hidden treasures."

Gaston's Tavern
If the Be Our Guest Restaurant is where Guests will go to feel refined, Gaston's Tavern will be the place for Guests to feel, as Belle would say, positively primeval.
"This is a very masculine space that will again be immediately recognizable to fans of the film," Tim said. In addition to snacks and non-alcoholic beverages (it's a family friendly "tavern"), expect to find Gaston's imposing chair sitting in front of a special-effects-fueled fireplace, rustic woodwork and, of course, plenty of antlers.
Greeting Guests outside the tavern will be a statue depicting Gaston engaged in two of his favorite pastimes: celebrating himself and abusing his fateful sidekick, Lefou
"This one-of-a-kind bronze statue is bigger than life, just like Gaston," Tim explained. "It's a statue of Gaston, commissioned by Gaston, as a 'gift' to the people of the village from Gaston."

"All of these venues reprsent what Imagineering does best: really understanding the story and finding creative ways to amaze our Guests."

Bork Bork

I can't wait to see the Lumiere AA. The BatB area might just be my new happy place to sit and take it all in. Kind of like La Petit Rue is in France by the Patisserie. I could just sit there all day.

I'd love to hear about the BGM for this area. I hope is more than just music from the movie.

Weather_Lady

Thanks for sharing this!

Hmmm... I wonder if they dropped the "West Wing" portion of Be Our Guest, as the description mentions only the ballroom and dining room. The portraits and the music-box-style sculpture reenacting the final scene from the movie sound cool.

The conspicuous reference to "snacks" as the menu for Gaston's Tavern jumps out. Sounds like this won't be a true counter-service eatery, but a permanent indoor snack bar of sorts (maybe with turkey legs, as in the concept art?).

NYwdwfan

I'm interested to see the snow out the ballroom windows - sounds like a cool touch for guests coming in from the hot Florida sun.

Animaniac93-98

There's great potential to turn the Belle attraction into a "Turtle Talk" type of experience with multiple "living" characters and such. Maybe Later they could add Cogsworth.

Stupido

Disney's really in jeopardy of missing an opportunity with Gaston's. WWoHP has ButterBeer. Arguably one of the most delicious things on the planet. To the point, that I don't mind waiting 20 minutes to get a glass. I could ride Dragon Quest TWICE for the amount of time it takes me to get one ButterBeer.

Gastons would be the PERFECT place to come up with a speciality drink that would challenge ButterBeer as the reigning champion. Hopefully there's a surprise to come in that aspect.

As for everything else, it sounds truly wonderful. It's no secret, this is the area of FLE that I'm looking forward to the most. The snow sounds magical, and I'm excited to see the dining room as well. I hope that the West Wing hasn't been scrapped, but I remember them saying there would be three different dining locations, themed after three different areas in the castle. So I'm not worried about that. It seems weird though, how it says "during selected hours, additional seating.." I hope that doesn't mean that they're putting all their focus into the Ball room, and the other areas are just being thrown together to manage crowds.

Magenta Panther

Jeez, I hope the West Wing hasn't been dropped as part of the restaurant. I was really looking forward to a slightly eerie area, with gargoyles and so on. Bummer. :(

ToTBellHop

Looks like this (sadly) kills off any speculation that Gaston's will be the first place to serve alcohol...
Was there every any speculation about that? The Magic Kingdoms around the world never have and likely never will serve alcohol. You can still enjoy wine w/ Belle and Beast at Epcot...

Castle Cake Apologist

Thanks for the post! This all sounds and looks so amazing, can't wait for previews to start! Though... I also hope they haven't cut the West Wing from Be Our Guest, it sounded like it was going to be one of the coolest areas in the place.

Looks like this (sadly) kills off any speculation that Gaston's will be the first place to serve alcohol...

Disney has been pretty clear from the start that Gaston's would not be serving any kind of alcohol... what speculation was there exactly?

GLaDOS

Has DLP served alcohol since it opened or was that a more recent change?

Opened without it, but quickly change positions when the visitors basically revolted when they couldn't get wine with their meals.

Personally I think it's bullhonkey that you can't get wine and beer in MK. I understand the hard stuff, but really, it's 2012. Time to change the rules.

tl77

Original Poster
I was wondering about the West Wing when I read the article, I hadn't heard of the Castle Dining Room before and wasn't sure if they were the same thing or if the name had been changed, but I wouldn't worry to much these Disney Files magazines are more like fancy DVC newsletters or like a "coming attraction" not necessarily the final story

djkidkaz

Opened without it, but quickly change positions when the visitors basically revolted when they couldn't get wine with their meals.

Personally I think it's bullhonkey that you can't get wine and beer in MK. I understand the hard stuff, but really, it's 2012. Time to change the rules.

Completely disagree! I don't understand people who get upset that they can't have alcohol. Sounds like they have bigger problems in their life and they shouldn't be at WDW.

DizMagic

Completely disagree! I don't understand people who get upset that they can't have alcohol. Sounds like they have bigger problems in their life and they shouldn't be at WDW.

Ya because everyone who likes to have a drink with their meals obviously has a problem! People who want to get drunk in MK already do anyway so, the anti alcohol rules are really only stopping non troublemakers from enjoying a drink or two while those who want to get drunk at the park still find ways to do it.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Was there every any speculation about that? The Magic Kingdoms around the world never have and likely never will serve alcohol. You can still enjoy wine w/ Belle and Beast at Epcot...

From what I remember on any of the threads on Gaston's Tavern, you'd see pages upon pages of the discussion of Gastons / Be Our Guest and will they or should they serve alcohol. I don't think any of the people "in the know" ever speculated that they would, but it seemed to be the most discussed thing involving Gaston's.
I seem to remember reading through this thread, probably even commenting on it:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=687470

I'm not surprised in the slightest that this will keep with the park tradition of being non-alcoholic, and felt it would be that way. I just know this topic has been discussed like crazy.

fngoofy

I like beer, I can handle myself when drinking a few. Others can't and that's why we can't have anything nice (to drink.)

If Walt thought the general public couldn't handle it in the more polite era of the 50s & 60s, then it's probably more relevant today.

Although let's not forget that he, his friends, and big wigs got to drink (and still do)in Club 33 (cause they can handle it, but the unwashed masses...well that's another story.

JustInTime

Jeez, I hope the West Wing hasn't been dropped as part of the restaurant. I was really looking forward to a slightly eerie area, with gargoyles and so on. Bummer. :(

There was also originally a library area that you could eat in too, right? I remember reading about it. Looks like that is gone too.

pppapazo

There was also originally a library area that you could eat in too, right? I remember reading about it. Looks like that is gone too.

I think the library was always meant to be part of the Enchanted Tales with Belle attraction. The Be Our Guest restaurant was supposed to recreate the Ballroom, the West Wing, and add a new "Gallery," which it looks like has turned into the Castle Dining Room.

Months ago, someone here mentioned that there would be a Wardrobe AA in the Enchanted Tales with Belle attraction in addition to the Lumiere AA. Any truth to that? I haven't seen it mentioned in official literature as of late.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom