New Destinations coming to Star Tours

RSoxNo1

With the new scenes being played for all guests, the ride currently offers 6 different combinations:
2 opening scenes
1 first destination (Jakku)
1 transmission (BB-8)
3 second destinations

Ultimately the ride will have 96 different combinations:
2 opening scenes
4 first destinations (including Jakku)
4 transmissions (including BB-8)
3 second destinations

Eckert

So, I was able to ride Star Tours 2.5 today twice. It was about a 15 minute wait each time. Let's talk about what I saw!

My first ride I got Vader, Jakku, and Naboo.

The Vader scene is SO much better now. It's been improved upon with some new animation for Vader and BOBA FETT makes an appearance alongside him when he stops the vehicle.

Jakku was tons of fun. You land on the planet and are immediately caught between the Millennium Falcon (being driven by Finn) and the two TIE Fighters from the trailer. Finn appears on the side screen and gives Star Tours some words of warning. After following him for a little, he does a cool maneuver to destroy the TIEs (probably a movie spoiler) and you crash land into the ruins of the Imperial Star Destroyer (there are some really unique motions that the cabin makes when you're landed). You're met with some scavengers who begin to take pieces off of the ship, and then you make your escape back into space. BB8 sends a transmission and has a cute little scene with the three droids. You're then off into Hypserspace again and Star Tours continues as normal...or so you think.

We were shot into Naboo, so I stopped really paying attention because it was the same old scene I'd seen before. Not! At the end, instead of crashing into the tail of the vehicle, you stop directly in front of it and the droid that usually falls in the cabin instead splashes yellow paint onto the windshield! It was a nice twist and made me wonder if all the scenes had minor alterations like I had seen.

It wasn't entirely the case, because the second time around I got Millennium Falcon, Jakku, and Naboo again. Millenium Falcon was always how I remembered it and Naboo ended with the ship crashing through the windshield like it always used to, which made me think that maybe there are now two different endings for each scene? That would be a really great way to add some variety to the ride.

All in all, I loved it. I thought Star Tours 2 was a perfect and proper update to an existing attraction when it first premiered, and these new additions really are one of the best examples of "plussing" a ride that we've seen in a good while.

That Guy

So, I was able to ride Star Tours 2.5 today twice. It was about a 15 minute wait each time. Let's talk about what I saw!

The Vader scene is SO much better now. It's been improved upon with some new animation for Vader and BOBA FETT makes an appearance alongside him when he stops the vehicle.

Jakku was tons of fun. You land on the planet and are immediately caught between the Millennium Falcon (being driven by Finn) and the two TIE Fighters from the trailer. Finn appears on the side screen and gives Star Tours some words of warning. After following him for a little, he does a cool maneuver to destroy the TIEs (probably a movie spoiler) and you crash land into the ruins of the Imperial Star Destroyer (there are some really unique motions that the cabin makes when you're landed). You're met with some scavengers who begin to take pieces off of the ship, and then you make your escape back into space. BB8 sends a transmission and has a cute little scene with the three droids. You're then off into Hypserspace again and Star Tours continues as normal...or so you think.

We were shot into Naboo, so I stopped really paying attention because it was the same old scene I'd seen before. Not! At the end, instead of crashing into the tail of the vehicle, you stop directly in front of it and the droid that usually falls in the cabin instead splashes yellow paint onto the windshield! It was a nice twist and made me wonder if all the scenes had minor alterations like I had seen.

It wasn't entirely the case, because the second time around I got Millennium Falcon, Jakku, and Naboo again. Millenium Falcon was always how I remembered it and Naboo ended with the ship crashing through the windshield like it always used to, which made me think that maybe there are now two different endings for each scene? That would be a really great way to add some variety to the ride.

All in all, I loved it. I thought Star Tours 2 was a perfect and proper update to an existing attraction when it first premiered, and these new additions really are one of the best examples of "plussing" a ride that we've seen in a good while.

I may need new pants...

RAXIP

My observations after 10 rides on the new version:

As far as I can tell, there are now three opening scenes:
  • The original with Darth Vader
  • The new Darth Vader scene with Bobba Fett
  • The original scene with the Stormtroopers & Falcon
There are now three versions of Naboo
  • The original with the smashed viewscreen
  • Getting paint splattered on the viewscreen instead
  • One where we don't miss the Gungan in the water and he ends up across the viewscreen (this scene has the original ending in the hangar)
There are two version of Courscant
  • The original with other Starspeeder 1000s in the landing bay
  • In the new version the Millennium Falcon is parked there, with Chewie in the cockpit
I don't know if there is an alternate version of the Death Star scene.

YodaMan

^this. Although Jakku and BB8 will come up every time for the time being, I think they've added enough variations on the opening and closing scenes so there are still as many possible ride scenarios as before

RSoxNo1

It's possible there are now at least 1296 different variations.

3 Opening Scenes
4 First Destinations with 3 versions of each
4 Transmissions
3 Second Destinations with 3 versions of each

Last edited:

JohnD

This is what I was able to find. Shows 2 new scenes although it isn't the best quality.

Of course not. Someone was using the video on their phone while riding a motion simulator! I think I'll forgive the reduction in quality.

I do have a question about the story, though. While I'm not that fixated on it, because of the experience, they couldn't have a beginning scene of Darth Vader stopping the shuttle, right? After all, there are scenes with BB8 and the Millennium Falcon after Darth Vader died.

WDWscope

I do have a question about the story, though. While I'm not that fixated on it, because of the experience, they couldn't have a beginning scene of Darth Vader stopping the shuttle, right? After all, there are scenes with BB8 and the Millennium Falcon after Darth Vader died.

I had the same sequence that YodaMan listed above, which means that my Starspeeder 1000 started in the Classic Trilogy, detoured into the Sequel Trilogy and ended in the Prequel Trilogy. Maybe Star Tours got some unexpected upgrades from the DIno Institute.

Eckert

I was thinking if it was possible to swap out Vader/Boba with Kylo/Phasma if the next destination was going to be Jakku.

JohnD

I had the same sequence that YodaMan listed above, which means that my Starspeeder 1000 started in the Classic Trilogy, detoured into the Sequel Trilogy and ended in the Prequel Trilogy. Maybe Star Tours got some unexpected upgrades from the DIno Institute.

I missed the soft opening by several days. Oh well. Sounds like just roll with it.

FigmentJedi

Of course not. Someone was using the video on their phone while riding a motion simulator! I think I'll forgive the reduction in quality.

It's Disney Imagineering channeling their inner Carl

Phroobar

All Star Speeder 1000s are equipped with a Flux Capacitor.
IMG_5089c-650x433.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom