New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Splash4eva

I am sure that there can be a number of medical situations that can occur and can be argued. I think that the world is changing and we are working on no longer telling those with medical issues to "just stay home". The lawsuit against Six Flags is just the start.
We cant expect a company to fundamentally change their entire business for a what if… like i said. If they would provide an easier way in and out and be a little clearer they should be fine. Its miraculous how all these what if issues practically never happen on rides or in LL que’s etc

jennab55

Feeling bad for a billion dollar company that has to operate like a billion dollar company?
I feel that way about anyone. If someone brought a lawsuit against you, in which you believed you were right and you won, would you be happy to have had to pay all those legal fees?

But I can see the point someone else made about consumers not filing lawsuits for fear of having to lose everything if they lost the suit.

jennab55

We cant expect a company to fundamentally change their entire business for a what if… like i said. If they would provide an easier way in and out and be a little clearer they should be fine. Its miraculous how all these what if issues practically never happen on rides or in LL que’s etc
Out of curiosity, what do you think should be done to make it easier for people to exit the queue when needed? Obviously redoing all the queues to make them larger would cost tons of money and take tons of time, so what is your suggestion?

DisneyHead123

Its miraculous how all these what if issues practically never happen on rides or in LL que’s etc

This basically implies that you think those using DAS for the reasons you were discussing are either lying or greatly exaggerating their issues.

I’m not saying this never happens. Or that there are not wild discrepancies in people’s point of view on various topics. Many conditions and ways of being exist on a spectrum, and there are significant grey areas where one person might choose to say “I have / am X” while another person might brush it off as just the stuff of life (to be clear, I’m talking about grey areas on various spectrums, not everyone with a difference or disorder. There are many cases where it’s very clear.)

That said, keep in mind that 1. How would you know if emergencies are happening in line, because people peace out of there real fast when that happens? (I’ve certainly carried my screaming child out of a standby line mid meltdown because he decided a ride was too scary) and 2. There is a huge amount of selection bias happening there. As someone with significant anxiety, there are certain things I only do on “good days”, and avoid on bad days. A park goer who knows they’re on edge and may well go into a PTSD induced panic attack, or in the middle of a painful medical flair, is not likely to get in a standby line in the first place.

Splash4eva

Out of curiosity, what do you think should be done to make it easier for people to exit the queue when needed? Obviously redoing all the queues to make them larger would cost tons of money and take tons of time, so what is your suggestion?
Ride by ride basis & if it meant some of change needed that was easily done to queue so be it but thats for them to figure out. Have CM working the queue as well for the what if situation to now direct people out. Its not as difficult to try and make happen. I never said easy but doable. We just watched them waste north of 150mm from what is reported to redo a ride that didnt need to be redone

Splash4eva

Actu
This basically implies that you think those using DAS for the reasons you were discussing are either lying or greatly exaggerating their issues.

I’m not saying this never happens. Or that there are not wild discrepancies in people’s point of view on various topics. Many conditions and ways of being exist on a spectrum, and there are significant grey areas where one person might choose to say “I have / am X” while another person might brush it off as just the stuff of life (to be clear, I’m talking about grey areas on various spectrums, not everyone with a difference or disorder. There are many cases where it’s very clear.)

That said, keep in mind that 1. How would you know if emergencies are happening in line, because people peace out of there real fast when that happens? (I’ve certainly carried my screaming child out of a standby line mid meltdown because he decided a ride was too scary) and 2. There is a huge amount of selection bias happening there. As someone with significant anxiety, there are certain things I only do on “good days”, and avoid on bad days. A park goer who knows they’re on edge and may well go into a PTSD induced panic attack, or in the middle of a painful medical flair, is not likely to get in a standby line in the first place.
Actually i think the liars are not as bad as people think. The number that used DAs that we went by was around 8-9% of guests so even if say 1/3 of that didnt need it the number is low. All im saying is everyone talks about well what if this happens what does a guest do yet how many times does that what if happen….

jennab55

Re
Ride by ride basis & if it meant some of change needed that was easily done to queue so be it but thats for them to figure out. Have CM working the queue as well for the what if situation to now direct people out. It’s not as difficult to try and make happen. I never said easy but doable. We just watched them waste north of 150mm from what is reported to redo a ride that didnt need to be redone
Re-doing queues again would be too costly. Having a CM walking up and down the line might be ok, but would be an extra cost in which we’d all pay for somehow, but is doable. What about having more wheelchairs at rides so people can use those instead of an ECV in the queue? Would be easier to turn around. I think most of people, besides those with mobility issues, can get out a queue without too much trouble. Most people are not going to block or give someone an issue who is trying to get OUT of line.

Dranth

I am sure that there can be a number of medical situations that can occur and can be argued. I think that the world is changing and we are working on no longer telling those with medical issues to "just stay home". The lawsuit against Six Flags is just the start.
The worlds view on these things are changing, for the better in my opinion, but it is also literally impossible to account for every variation and possible outcome out there and reality has to factor in at some point. Hence the reasonable accommodation approach to the ADA which I think covers Disney across the board minus employees doing something out of line.

NotTheOne

I feel that way about anyone. If someone brought a lawsuit against you, in which you believed you were right and you won, would you be happy to have had to pay all those legal fees?

But I can see the point someone else made about consumers not filing lawsuits for fear of having to lose everything if they lost the suit.
My understanding is that Disney was awarded court costs in the GAC-to-DAS lawsuit, but not sure if they got that money or not, or if they even pursued it.

Splash4eva

Re

Re-doing queues again would be too costly. Having a CM walking up and down the line might be ok, but would be an extra cost in which we’d all pay for somehow, but is doable. What about having more wheelchairs at rides so people can use those instead of an ECV in the queue? Would be easier to turn around. I think most of people, besides those with mobility issues, can get out a queue without too much trouble. Most people are not going to block or give someone an issue who is trying to get OUT of line.
Have there been reports where wheelchairs were not enough and scarce and part of the problem? If so i would love to see those reports. Also. How do you know how much something would cost to in certain realistic cases modify lines and who are you or anyone to determine its too expensive for Disney to spend. Again just seems like the same tune where people refuse to budge or try something.

jennab55

Have there been reports where wheelchairs were not enough and scarce and part of the problem? If so i would love to see those reports. Also. How do you know how much something would cost to in certain realistic cases modify lines and who are you or anyone to determine it’s too expensive for Disney to spend. Again just seems like the same tune where people refuse to budge or try something.
Didn’t they already alter their lines to be ADA compliant years ago? Altering them more would be costly, as with any sort of project. They are already compliant so why should they need to alter them more?

I read a report where someone said more wheelchairs have been available at lines for people to use just in the line. So that is a good option.

Splash4eva

Didn’t they already alter their lines to be ADA compliant years ago? Altering them more would be costly, as with any sort of project. They are already compliant so why should they need to alter them more?

I read a report where someone said more wheelchairs have been available at lines for people to use just in the line. So that is a good option.
So the scenario you mentioned is not an issue and conveniently disregarded most of what else i said

jennab55

So the scenario you mentioned is not an issue and conveniently disregarded most of what else i said
I said they could offer it more. I don’t know how many people realize this is an issue, or if it is an option at most rides. I don’t use an ECV so honestly am not sure. I’m guessing most people would prefer to use their ECV in line anyway, but Disney could put something on the website of it being an option that they have wheelchairs available in liked for those who may need to exit the line.

I just dont think Disney should be required to do construction on their lines again when they are already ADA compliant. I honestly don’t think there’s that big of an issue with people leaving the line as you think there is. The only people I’ve heard having issues are people in ECVs. Have you heard otherwise?

Dranth

Yeah but is that because the capacity limit is too high? So instead of screwing over those with disabilities, they could add more rides and entertainment. It is not like that is going to bankrupt them.
Sure, but from a legal and business perspective I don't think anyone could successfully argue in court that a park operator is required to spend millions if not billions of dollars to add more rides, shows and entertainment to accommodate more people. Their only requirement is that accommodations exist to access what is built within reason.

I could open a park tomorrow with one ride and as long as it had basic accessibility taken into account no one could legally argue I am required to build more.

Sunnyfla856

There are so many people who have unjustly taken advantage of this system, to the detriment of those who truly need it, so, unfortunately this was an inevitable outcome.
I’ve used the DAS pass twice I have metastatic lung cancer and a intercranial carotid artery aneurysm. I take medication, which makes it difficult for me to stand in line for long periods of time. i am grateful I dont have to add a mental disability such as Autism to the list I never felt I was “taking advantage of the system”
I know a lot of people on the Spectrum who wouldn't have a problem waiting but now they can get the pass SMH

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom