New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Grantwil93

This is what I wonder as well. I have a feeling a large percentage was APs. I of course have no actual proof, just a thought as they would put more strain on the system then the family who comes annually or less often.
I don't have proof other than irl conversations, but AP's/DVC seem to be a huge chunk. CM's were probably the second highest. With day ticket holders being the least impactful on DAS.

Which makes sense given so many guests show up not even knowing that anything exists beyond MK, it would follow that the repeat guests are more likely to hear about something like DAS

I know practically no CM's are getting it via the interview. Even those who could theoretically provide documentation of something like Autism. This whole thing is a massive population reduction of the system

jennab55

I don't have proof other than irl conversations, but AP's/DVC seem to be a huge chunk. CM's were probably the second highest. With day ticket holders being the least impactful on DAS.

Which makes sense given so many guests show up not even knowing that anything exists beyond MK, it would follow that the repeat guests are more likely to hear about something like DAS

I know practically no CM's are getting it via the interview. Even those who could theoretically provide documentation of something like Autism. This whole thing is a massive population reduction of the system
so I wonder why CMs aren’t getting approved? Don’t they get asked the same questions as everyone else?

Yes I think the visitors who come often are putting the strain on the system. I think the people who come once a year or less are probably buying G+ already even if they are getting DAS. At least we did the last 2 times we came in 2021 and 2022. I do also wonder if they are being more lenient on approvals of DAS for non APs.

Grantwil93

You are describing what used to happen with DAS and what cannot happen now that GR doesn’t have the ability to offer it anymore.

Going back to @Grantwil93’s post, I am surprised that DAS usage of LL has already decreased from about 60% to less than 20% given that the highest capacity using APs probably still have old DAS approvals that won’t expire until July. I wonder if Disney has already started making more LL capacity available to Genie+ users. Genie+ would work better for so many ex-DAS users if you could reliably get one ride on all the headliners without waking before 7AM.
I do want to clarify I can only speak for 1 attraction that I'm not able to name(sorry, I care enough to post but not to get in trouble). I don't know what the ratio looks like property wide. But I do think it's a good indicator of what Disney is going for here.

TrojanUSC

Maybe, but honestly it would never occur to me to go to guest relations about how individual rights operate. I would always personally assume that I would go talk to someone at the ride.

I would at least expect that they would be able to give me the basic information of what AQR and Rider Switch are, but if they said I had to talk to operators at the ride for more details, that would make sense to me. I do concede that from the original poster,it might have been that they could not at least produce basic information about what the accommodation were, and that is bad.

Except that like there's still a huge swath of people who will go to GR for disability accommodation then be unable to be accommodated. Thereby GR has to explain to them what they can offer, which is AQR and rider swap. It would make the most sense for GR to at least know the basics - but there does seem to be a real lack of consistency with whether there can be companions, how and when the family meets back up, etc.

C33Mom

I do want to clarify I can only speak for 1 attraction that I'm not able to name(sorry, I care enough to post but not to get in trouble). I don't know what the ratio looks like property wide. But I do think it's a good indicator of what Disney is going for here.
I completely understand and I should have been clearer, because that is what you communicated in the first place. My guess is that each ride (or at least, each type of ride) will be impacted differently if the crackdown is limiting DAS access (mostly) to groups with significant developmental disabilities.

Grantwil93

so I wonder why CMs aren’t getting approved? Don’t they get asked the same questions as everyone else?

Yes I think the visitors who come often are putting the strain on the system. I think the people who come once a year or less are probably buying G+ already even if they are getting DAS. At least we did the last 2 times we came in 2021 and 2022. I do also wonder if they are being more lenient on approvals of DAS for non APs.
They do get the same questions, but it's very hard to try and justify why you can stand for 8 hours dealing with thousands of ppl a day, but can't wait in any regular lines. Because if all you need at work is access to bathroom breaks upon request to make it through your shift, then the new accommodations would cover you(for example)

You are only supposed to get one if you cannot wait in regular lines at all and no alternatives could be considered reasonable. It's an incredibly hard sell for a frontline CM to make.

jennab55

They do get the same questions, but it's very hard to try and justify why you can stand for 8 hours dealing with thousands of ppl a day, but can't wait in any regular lines. Because if all you need at work is access to bathroom breaks upon request to make it through your shift, then the new accommodations would cover you(for example)

You are only supposed to get one if you cannot wait in regular lines at all and no alternatives could be considered reasonable. It's an incredibly hard sell for a frontline CM to make.
True, but I was thinking more along the lines of a CM who isn’t front line working with the general public all day. Maybe someone who works alone in a quiet area or from home (not even sure if those are options).

Grantwil93

I completely understand and I should have been clearer, because that is what you communicated in the first place. My guess is that each ride (or at least, each type of ride) will be impacted differently if the crackdown is limiting DAS access (mostly) to groups with significant developmental disabilities.
The family rides for all ages with the most accessible vehicles like omnimovers and boats will probably see far more of an effect than something like Tron will. At least, that is my guess.

Grantwil93

True, but I was thinking more along the lines of a CM who isn’t front line working with the general public all day. Maybe someone who works alone in a quiet area or from home (not even sure if those are options).
That would be different I would hope, I'm more speaking about frontline CM's when I say they aren't getting it anymore. I don't have any info about other CM types

C33Mom

The family rides for all ages with the most accessible vehicles like omnimovers and boats will probably see far more of an effect than something like Tron will. At least, that is my guess.
So I was thinking the opposite—that the families who truly need DAS will be more likely to use it on omnimovers and people eaters, with fewer new DAS guests trying to do rides like Tron/Slinky/Rise/TBA several times a day— under that theory, you’d see more LL use reduction on headliners and less reduction on the family friendly rides.

NotTheOne

I would hope that everyone is evaluated the same way - just because someone has an AP doesn't mean they should have a reduced chance of getting DAS.

NotTheOne

Except that like there's still a huge swath of people who will go to GR for disability accommodation then be unable to be accommodated. Thereby GR has to explain to them what they can offer, which is AQR and rider swap. It would make the most sense for GR to at least know the basics - but there does seem to be a real lack of consistency with whether there can be companions, how and when the family meets back up, etc.
There will most likely always be inconsistency based on the circumstances at the time the requests are made. If the LL dead and a the party consists of two guests, the CM might let them through right away. If LL has more people, or if the party is larger than two, they might have them use AQR.

I think expecting a cut & dried "non-DAS accommodations will always work the same way" is a mistake.

Angel Ariel

Unfortunately this isn’t rare either, in my 20+ years of customer service in Vegas I can’t count the number of times the executive team made an unpopular policy, without providing specifics of how it would work, and then left it up to the front line employees to implement and deal with the fallout.

The people who make these decision never have to deal with the complaints and upset guests face to face, they leave that to the front line workers who have no input on the policy.
Same thing happens in education all. The. Time.

It's infuriating.

C33Mom

I would hope that everyone is evaluated the same way - just because someone has an AP doesn't mean they should have a reduced chance of getting DAS.
I agree all people should be evaluated by the same standards, but an AP holder family (and I am one, FWIW) who goes 50 days a year uses way more system capacity than a family who saves up to go 3-5 days a year— and getting the decision correct for high capacity users will have more of an impact on keeping the DAS system sustainable. I also think the more frequently you attend, and the more long LL headliners you ride on each trip, the more scrutiny should be applied to see if other accommodations will work.

NotTheOne

I agree all people should be evaluated by the same standards, but an AP holder family (and I am one, FWIW) who goes 50 days a year uses way more system capacity than a family who saves up to go 3-5 days a year— and getting the decision correct for high capacity users will have more of an impact on keeping the DAS system sustainable. I also think the more frequently you attend, and the more long LL headliners you ride on each trip, the more scrutiny should be applied to see if other accommodations will work.
I don't agree, but respect your opinion.

Angel Ariel

So I was thinking the opposite—that the families who truly need DAS will be more likely to use it on omnimovers and people eaters, with fewer new DAS guests trying to do rides like Tron/Slinky/Rise/TBA several times a day— under that theory, you’d see more LL use reduction on headliners and less reduction on the family friendly rides.
Developmental disabilities don't necessarily impact a person's ability to handle headliner attractions. In fact, for those that are sensory seeking in terms of proprioception or vestibular senses, headliners meet that need more than anything.

TrojanUSC

There will most likely always be inconsistency based on the circumstances at the time the requests are made. If the LL dead and a the party consists of two guests, the CM might let them through right away. If LL has more people, or if the party is larger than two, they might have them use AQR.

I think expecting a cut & dried "non-DAS accommodations will always work the same way" is a mistake.

Making a magical moment is different than what should be a pretty standard SOP though. Does the person with the disability get to have a caretaker stay with them? What if they're traveling solo or only have a minor child to wait on their behalf? Stuff like this is seems to be inconsistently trained but should be a pretty standard across the board.

NotTheOne

Making a magical moment is different than what should be a pretty standard SOP though. Does the person with the disability get to have a caretaker stay with them? What if they're traveling solo or only have a minor child to wait on their behalf? Stuff like this is seems to be inconsistently trained but should be a pretty standard across the board.
I personally haven't seen enough actual, plausible feedback from people who have experienced these situations to know whether or not it's been consistently trained.

C33Mom

Developmental disabilities don't necessarily impact a person's ability to handle headliner attractions. In fact, for those that are sensory seeking in terms of proprioception or vestibular senses, headliners meet that need more than anything.
Completely agree that it will vary by individual DASholder and didn’t mean to suggest that there wouldn’t be variance between DAS parties—but based on posts in DAS groups, many “meet the new criteria DAS families” do not seem to use it disproportionately for headliners and are more likely to use DAS for less intense rides (or rides without long preshows and post-merge queues), whereas people who used it exclusively as a “hack” or Genie+ alternative are more likely using it for headliner attractions.

RamblinWreck

Ok, but which rides do you think the fakers are inclined to use their DAS on?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom