New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

TrainsOfDisney

Probably better to wait for some reports on how far the policies actually do go.
It was the reports that led to the discussion. Did they actually happen? Was it some college intern making a rule that they were later reprimanded for? Who knows.

But the reports are out there.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It is relevant though, because we don't yet know how the new accommodations will work.

Asking what the (legal) minimum age for children is to wait in a queue (or outside the queue) by themselves is very pertinent.

How far should the new policies go?

It's a boundary case - not one that drives the whole monster. It's more a curiosity of the execution plan... maybe it becomes some big loophole? Who knows yet what Disney will do... but we do know children aren't going to be left to die... nor is Disney going to force parents to abandon their children against their will.

So at worst case, it means someone will have to abandon their place in line... or it becomes a loophole if you have the right combination of people... but for most people, it's not going to be an issue either way.

MickeyLuv'r

Probably better to wait for some reports on how far the policies actually do go. Why argue over hypotheticals? I guess it’s a matter of opinion.
Hard disagree. This is an important aspect of the new policies that needs to be clarified.

and it has repercussions for everyone, because we may well see children alone in the queue.

Angel Ariel

Again. I have explained myself regarding the word “staggering”. Ill play the % game 80% ;) were in there with New DAS issues… like i said. I was sharing information regarding what i saw and heard. Common sense that no matter what the number was it couldnt be high unless you thought i decided to spend my day in GR… maybe Len can do that next.
Just as a final clarification - the people you heard were following up on confusion regarding AQR or RTQ - were they also saying they needed to be reconsidered for DAS, or were they just sharing that cast members didn't seem to know how the AQR/RTQ accommodations were supposed to work?

It seemed like the latter when I read it, but many seemed to have taken it as the former, so I just want to clarify

Chi84

Premium Member
Hard disagree. This is an important aspect of the new policies that needs to be clarified.

and it has repercussions for everyone, because we may well see children alone in the queue.
How is arguing about that now going to help anything? Wouldn’t it be better to find out what Disney is actually doing first? We often see children alone in the queues; it doesn’t seem necessary to prepare for it.

In any event I’m not going to argue with you about what we should be arguing about. 😉

Splash4eva

Just as a final clarification - the people you heard were following up on confusion regarding AQR or RTQ - were they also saying they needed to be reconsidered for DAS, or were they just sharing that cast members didn't seem to know how the AQR/RTQ accommodations were supposed to work?

It seemed like the latter when I read it, but many seemed to have taken it as the former, so I just want to clarify
To clarify. NOT once person asked to be re considered NOT one person was nasty rude loud or out of line. They all were mature adults literally just asking for answers to legit questions and concerns they had regarding this new process and from everything i was able to tell and heard pretty much were met with no real solutions.

Angel Ariel

To clarify. NOT once person asked to be re considered NOT one person was nasty rude loud or out of line. They all were mature adults literally just asking for answers to legit questions and concerns they had regarding this new process and from everything i was able to tell and heard pretty much were met with no real solutions.
Thanks - that's how I initially read it, appreciate the clarification :)

KrzyKtty

It is frustrating that HR had no answers, but not unexpected considering how they have been shut out of the process.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The fact Disney has basically kept an air-gap between Guest Relations, DAS policy management... and the operations of running the attractions is a recipe for disaster.

It basically creates a lack of ownership of the concern. On the GR side they just throw the ball over the fence to attractions and have no ownership of the woes the other team may create. And the attractions have no ownership of the woes they create... because complaints goto GR... not them.

It just festers a 'not my problem' environment where humans get to hide in silos.

Purduevian

I do think there is a difference between saying a 7-year-old is allowed to queue for a ride themselves vs telling someone that can not wait in a line that in order to experience an attraction the 7-year-old has to queue by themselves.

I also feel like even if the person with a disability is able to wait alone while the rest of their party is in standby, the rule should be that they can have 1 other person use the AQR with them (just like rider swap).

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I'm not sure that's the correct interpretation. I think ages 7 to 14 are allowed to "ride alone" (under 7 need to ride with someone over 14) but that isn't the same as being allowed to be in line or otherwise in the park alone. I think it means that (for example) you can be in a vehicle by yourself at age 10 but your parents/older siblings who were in line with you could be in a different vehicle.
What gave me confidence in that interpretation was 2 DAS moderators (eta - Disboards)explaining the mechanics of these rules many times (over years) and nothing ever outright refuting it (personal experiences, correspondence from WDW, CM testimony, etc), coupled with continued first hand stories of people experiencing Disney Parks years ago under those guidelines and the same technical rules are still in place today.

Last edited:

DoubleSwitchback

Not gonna say exactly where, but over the last few days I've personally seen the Ratio of DAS vs Genie+ shift dramatically. Used to be around 60% of LL scans in a given hour were DAS at this attraction during peak times. Now it's down to about 15-20%. It's definitely noticeable to CM's.
Still being 15 to 20% is shocking to me, but that's progress at least.

maemae74

I do think there is a difference between saying a 7-year-old is allowed to queue for a ride themselves vs telling someone that can not wait in a line that in order to experience an attraction the 7-year-old has to queue by themselves.

I also feel like even if the person with a disability is able to wait alone while the rest of their party is in standby, the rule should be that they can have 1 other person use the AQR with them (just like rider swap).
In our experience last week we were told that someone in our group could wait with my mom.

KrzyKtty

I get not having answers about DAS now that the accessibility team is handling that. They should have answers to AQR or RTQ questions, though - as those are about park operations.
Maybe, but honestly it would never occur to me to go to guest relations about how individual rights operate. I would always personally assume that I would go talk to someone at the ride.

I would at least expect that they would be able to give me the basic information of what AQR and Rider Switch are, but if they said I had to talk to operators at the ride for more details, that would make sense to me. I do concede that from the original poster,it might have been that they could not at least produce basic information about what the accommodation were, and that is bad.

Splash4eva

Not gonna say exactly where, but over the last few days I've personally seen the Ratio of DAS vs Genie+ shift dramatically. Used to be around 60% of LL scans in a given hour were DAS at this attraction during peak times. Now it's down to about 15-20%. It's definitely noticeable to CM's.
With all this info and insider knowledge. Im curious can anyone tell us or even know what % of DAS was being used by locals/AP who frequent more often vs people who actually come to disney on vacation?

nickys

Premium Member
I spoke to Disney directly about this & was told Neurodivergent only. Not Epilepsy anymore like my family member has basically we travel with a service dog & were told we will need to go to the que to ask for a return time. Which is honestly fine with me . I don't want to plan my day ahead.
But that isn’t the case. There have been some guests given DAS with non neuro-divergent disabilities. I suggest you try doing the call and see what they say.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom