New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Angel Ariel

I mean, you clearly feel some level of upset about the lines in the park, but your response wasn't to say "Oh well, something negative is happening in my otherwise positive experience, I'll never go again." Almost nothing in life is an absolute.

People with chronic pain are going to have to deal with that pain no matter where they are. At least at Disney grandparents can share a wonderful experience with their children and grandchildren, be surrounded by beauty, have a great time, etc.

I am all for calling out people who do not actually need DAS. And I am even open to the idea that DAS abuse is more prevalent than I realized or assumed, based on what people here have said. But elderly patrons, the disabled, and those with health problems - where there is absolutely no question that they have a legitimate need - have every right to be at the parks. Saying DAS shouldn't be abused and insinuating only the young, fit, neurotypical and healthy should even be in the parks at all are totally different things.
Exactly.

I'm looking at going to a local theme park for a day this weekend. I've been in pain for 3 months at this point. The more active I am, the worse it gets. It really sucks. But it is the reality I'm living with no matter where I am until the doctors figure out what's wrong with me (it's so fun when they all look at test results blankly and tell you they can't figure them out).

This may be DD's only chance to go to a park this summer. So I have a choice:

1 - stay home, don't go and be in pain at home

2 - go, she and her dad take the lead and I rest as needed throughout the day, and she gets a day of fun.

Choice 2 wins, hands down. Will I hurt? Most likely. Will I be wiped out for the next couple of days? Again, likely. Do I want to miss out on seeing her smiles and giggles as she spins and rides? Nope.

It really isn't up to anyone else to determine whether this is something I should do or not, or to question my choice. If I could take us all to Disney right now, even while in pain, I'd do so in a heartbeat.

Happyday

They are again being allowed apparently.
Actually I think there is a difference. I could be wrong but it looks like what she had was not attached to a cane or walker. We have brought both of those multiple times in the past without issues. They have had issues with people bringing in the collapsible seats and causing issues in queues.

Happyday

They are again being allowed apparently.
This is from the website.
1000002972.png

Jenny72

It's ironic that some of Disney's policies have made DAS much more necessary. For a lot of people, it's the stationary time in the line that is the real issue. Whether it's physical (orthopedic issues, POTS, etc.) or mental (feeling trapped), it really is genuinely worse to stand in one place for long periods than to be moving. Everyone has to move to get around the park (even if in a wheelchair or similar), but the *standing still* is particular to lines.

Obviously keeping the line moving wouldn't solve everything (certain autism issues, for example), but it would help a portion of people's issues. Fastpass, Genie+, and now, ironically, DAS holders, are all making the line more unbearable for a significant portion of people. It is to some extent a vicious circle.

Minnesota disney fan

Exactly.

I'm looking at going to a local theme park for a day this weekend. I've been in pain for 3 months at this point. The more active I am, the worse it gets. It really sucks. But it is the reality I'm living with no matter where I am until the doctors figure out what's wrong with me (it's so fun when they all look at test results blankly and tell you they can't figure them out).

This may be DD's only chance to go to a park this summer. So I have a choice:

1 - stay home, don't go and be in pain at home

2 - go, she and her dad take the lead and I rest as needed throughout the day, and she gets a day of fun.

Choice 2 wins, hands down. Will I hurt? Most likely. Will I be wiped out for the next couple of days? Again, likely. Do I want to miss out on seeing her smiles and giggles as she spins and rides? Nope.

It really isn't up to anyone else to determine whether this is something I should do or not, or to question my choice. If I could take us all to Disney right now, even while in pain, I'd do so in a heartbeat.
Love your post. I, too, have constant pain. I wonder if your doctors have checked you out for fibromyalgia? It's hard to diagnosis and takes a while. Some people with FMS have some soreness and some, like me, have debilitating pain which requires pain medications. I hope you get this checked out if you haven't already.

Happyday

It's ironic that some of Disney's policies have made DAS much more necessary. For a lot of people, it's the stationary time in the line that is the real issue. Whether it's physical (orthopedic issues, POTS, etc.) or mental (feeling trapped), it really is genuinely worse to stand in one place for long periods than to be moving. Everyone has to move to get around the park (even if in a wheelchair or similar), but the *standing still* is particular to lines.

Obviously keeping the line moving wouldn't solve everything (certain autism issues, for example), but it would help a portion of people's issues. Fastpass, Genie+, and now, ironically, DAS holders, are all making the line more unbearable for a significant portion of people. It is to some extent a vicious circle.
Yep🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ unfortunately not all but some of the rules come out of people not being kind and respectful, or gaming the system and taking advantage of Disney's accessible adaptations. Catch 22 situation😝

Happyday

Is TWDC doing double speak? Folding chairs NO, cane chairs YES:
View attachment 785898
I don't think so from my point of view a 'chair' that is attached to a mobility device is different than a 'folding' chair. These are the kind of chairs they are having issues with especially the round one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240516-123756.png
    Screenshot_20240516-123756.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20240516-123733.png
    Screenshot_20240516-123733.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 51

Disstevefan1

I don't think so from my point of view a 'chair' that is attached to a mobility device is different than a 'folding' chair. These are the kind of chairs they are having issues with especially the round one.
TWDC is scrambling to come up with solutions. I am glad they now allow cane chairs.

I wonder, will you have to "qualify" to be able to bring a cane chair into the park to prevent "abuse" of cane chairs for folks who "really don't" need a cane chair in the eyes of Disney?

Angel Ariel

Love your post. I, too, have constant pain. I wonder if your doctors have checked you out for fibromyalgia? It's hard to diagnosis and takes a while. Some people with FMS have some soreness and some, like me, have debilitating pain which requires pain medications. I hope you get this checked out if you haven't already.
That hasn't been a discussion yet, but I will bring it up - thank you!

ditzee

Can we just stop with figuring out how DAS will or won't hurt someone with a disability? If someone wants to take my pain and then, with no pain, I can stand in the regular line or use Genie for an LL, I would love it. Oh and be sure to ask the doc for the morphine script I was offered. I refused it but hey maybe you might want it.

Unless you're in the position of the person who has the disability, no matter what it is, you cannot know what will help or harm. Disney can try the changes and hopefully they'll work for everyone. I'm sure tweaking will be necessary.

It seems pretty heartless that some resent the fact that some Disney guests actually need DAS. Now, the cheaters, I think they should be banned for life, IF they're caught.

Happyday

Can we just stop with figuring out how DAS will or won't hurt someone with a disability? If someone wants to take my pain and then, with no pain, I can stand in the regular line or use Genie for an LL, I would love it. Oh and be sure to ask the doc for the morphine script I was offered. I refused it but hey maybe you might want it.

Unless you're in the position of the person who has the disability, no matter what it is, you cannot know what will help or harm. Disney can try the changes and hopefully they'll work for everyone. I'm sure tweaking will be necessary.

It seems pretty heartless that some resent the fact that some Disney guests actually need DAS. Now, the cheaters, I think they should be banned for life, IF they're caught.
Absolutely we will not know until it happens! Everyone needs to just 🛑. Look at the rules and regulations for yourself instead of assuming. Absolutely it will need to be tweaked Disney is trying to do what they can with all the backlash they are getting. The problem is others resent and judge others because of those bad apples.

ditzee

Yes as I posted earlier, none of the WDW parks had no problem with the rollator integrated seat. Below is an example of mine:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 3.39.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 3.39.09 PM.png
    255.9 KB · Views: 25

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom