New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

seabreezept813

A DAS poweruser can repeatedly ride popular rides at parties for basically no wait instead of the 5-15 minute wait everyone else might have to wait.
Our family has used DAS and would never dream of using it for something with a wait 15 minutes or under because it pretty much defeats why we have to get it. But we feel pretty strongly about only using it in scenarios that it’s truly needed.

Angel Ariel

So we’re a month out from May 20 now.

Are people still booking DAS 30 days out or is that cut off? (Or being cut off tomorrow?)
The window opening 30 days ahead is the same both with old and new DAS. So yes, people booking DAS for trips starting May 20th should be starting to pre book DAS today, and theoretically that's supposed to be under the new changes (though from what I've read from people who've gone through it today, it doesn't appear to yet be much different).

lentesta

Premium Member
Some WDW CMs got briefed today on the new rules. The take-aways that I heard (which could be wrong, so grain of salt):
  • DAS Advance is going away
  • There'll be a 10-minutes-between-rides enforced break before signing up for a new ride
  • Guest Relations will no longer have the ability to register or modify anything DAS-related. That's being taken away.
  • It's going to be restricted to developmental needs like autism and Down's. Mild cases may not qualify.
  • Guests claiming IBS/gastrointestinal issues, or diabetes, will be instructed on how to use the new exit-and-return lines.
  • A doctor's note saying you can't wait in lines will not be an automatic yes. Instead, you'll be transferred to speak to a registered healthcare professional about why you can't wait in line. Disney may not even read your documentation.
  • The party-size limits will be strictly enforced.
Guest-facing CMs were also told:
  • The job is going to suck for a while
  • You can remind guests:
    • It's well-known that theme park vacations involve long waits in line
    • The new policy is designed for the small percent of the population that has developmental disabilities; it's not for everyone with any medical condition.
    • Disney provided ample notification of the policy change.
In talking about this, I got the sense that Disney was already overwhelmed with questions along the lines of "Why does this qualify now but not after May 20?" And their point is that if everything that counted now counted on May 20, we'd have the same system and the same problems.

It’s because it’s not a myth. It’s just also not the whole story.

It is skip the line access. It’s just not instant.
Agreed. As someone who has toured the parks with family that needed the DAS (severely autistic young nephew) and then toured the parks without a DAS user in the party…

It is a skip the “line” access… but I think those who need it bristle at that statement because it’s not a skip the “wait” access.

So those using the DAS do wait (the amount of the standby and then the LL upon return)..
But they are able to do so outside the line.

Now for those that NEED it, it really isn’t an “advantage” (my nephew paces and stims while waiting, and that cant the done in a confined space ) .

But for the non DAS guests it does seem like an advantage, because if possible everyone would rather wait in a shaded quick service area eating ice cream .

But for those who really need it, there would be no other way to access the attractions.
That said, my sister and her husband have always assumed that Jonathan’s needs didn’t come before everyone else’s . And since they have 3 other kids they have always split up in longer lines so she does the DAS with Jon and then her husband does the regular line with the other kids and they meet up afterwards.

As I wrote in another chat, I know ideally families would stay together to experience everything and I’m not saying those who want to do that are wrong.

But the bottom line is that on a ride like Space Mountain taking up a spot for 2 people entering the LL after a return to ride time… is different than taking up spots for 5.

Because he wasn’t their first child, they knew what it was like to wait with typical kids in line and they knew it wasn’t fun… so they see it from both sides and realize there is a nuance between accommodations being offered and preferential treatment being offered.

I am not judging how others need to accommodate their disability, just saying that I think to solve this problem (and I think everyone agrees there is a problem) I think it will take the willingness to compromise some from those guests who use DAS and those who do not.

Also, I know that some who have needs for the DAS feel attacked by those who don’t need it… but in my experience other park guests have been very kind to my nephew. In the shorter lines where they take him and try to make space for him to do what he needs to do while waiting… other guests have been super kind to form a space around him and been accommodating.

And I think in person, people generally want to be kind to each other and I doubt there are many people that would really resent making accommodations for those with needs…

it is just a big ask to accommodate those with needs and 7 other people (and honestly on some low capacity rides, even 4 people is a challenge)

DisneyHead123

• You can remind guests:
    • The new policy is designed for the small percent of the population that has developmental disabilities; it's not for everyone with any medical condition.
Thanks for posting this!

Interesting that they are going straight to (what sounds to me like) “lawyer talk” with guests. Vs. “Corporate-speak” type responses. If a frustrated guest says “I just don’t know how I can make this work!”, advising CMs to respond “Remember, long lines are part of visiting an amusement park.” sounds like sort of an awkward response. Not “Please feel free to submit your feedback to…” or “We’ve put a lot of thought into these accommodations and feel confident they will serve our valued guest's needs.”

Someone should start a GoFundMe to cover these poor CM’s nightly bar tab…

Brian

Some WDW CMs got briefed today on the new rules. The take-aways that I heard (which could be wrong, so grain of salt):
  • There'll be a 10-minutes-between-rides enforced break before signing up for a new ride
  • Guest Relations will no longer have the ability to register or modify anything DAS-related. That's being taken away.
  • It's going to be restricted to developmental needs like autism and Down's. Mild cases may not qualify.
  • Guests claiming IBS/gastrointestinal issues, or diabetes, will be instructed on how to use the new exit-and-return lines.
  • A doctor's note saying you can't wait in lines will not be an automatic yes. Instead, you'll be transferred to speak to a registered healthcare professional about why you can't wait in line. Disney may not even read your documentation.
  • You can remind guests:
In talking about this, I got the sense that Disney was already overwhelmed with questions along the lines of "Why does this qualify now but not after May 20?" And their point is that if everything that counted now counted on May 20, we'd have the same system and the same problems.
I've heard the plan is to boost staffing in Guest Relations for the first few weeks because it will indeed suck. There will be guests who take a considerable amount of time fighting with them because they either weren't offered the accommodations they want from the virtual team, or don't want to participate in the virtual process. Many are used to getting their way, and frankly, the GR CMs are used to just giving in after a while, so this will be a big change for many.

Some guests sadly might even try to take it out on the attractions CMs. I'm told GEMs and coordinators have been/will be given instructions to not back down (for example, just cutting their losses and letting them through the LL as a "courtesy") and refer them to GR.

Last edited:

RamblinWreck

• You can remind guests:
Great info!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom