New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

SamusAranX

Right right. Can you clarify what you would call it?
DAS users still had to wait the posted wait for standby, at time of selection, but that return time would minus 5-10 minutes to compensate for the LL wait.

The “advantage” was they could spend that wait eating or in a store or just sitting in A/C; or waiting for a short attraction. although for a truly disabled person that wasn’t really an advantage. It was the cheaters that really made it desirable, not as a needed accommodation that helped someone in need equalize their experience. So nobody was skipping the wait time. A true line skip system is say UE, where they go up to the attraction and just all but hop in. DAS is most comparable to a virtual queue.

DoubleSwitchback

Almost 500 pages in and people still think it was a “line skip” program
Yep, because about 20 pages back we agreed to discuss it in plain language, describing it as it actually operates.

A defensible program should be defensible on its merits, not by obscuring the reality of how it works. It's fine that it's a line skipping program! But then the follow up question, that people don't like, is who can only be accommodated by skipping the line?

Last edited:

NotTheOne

DAS users still had to wait the posted wait for standby, at time of selection, but that return time would minus 5-10 minutes to compensate for the LL wait.

The “advantage” was they could spend that wait eating or in a store or just sitting in A/C; or waiting for a short attraction. although for a truly disabled person that wasn’t really an advantage. It was the cheaters that really made it desirable, not as a needed accommodation that helped someone in need equalize their experience. So nobody was skipping the wait time. A true line skip system is say UE, where they go up to the attraction and just all but hop in. DAS is most comparable to a virtual queue.
So, DAS users skip the line but don't skip the wait. No issue with that obviously, as that's what the accommodation calls for, but it's intellectually dishonest to say that DAS users don't skip the line.

Angel Ariel

Can anyone who has experienced both confirm? Is it the same process? Or different?

I believe someone reported a multiple hour wait for the interview? Was that common at guest relations?
The interview itself is the same. Yes, we've done both in person and video.

The virtual interview often does have a wait. For WDW, I had made a habit of getting on right at 7am at 30 days if possible (not a school day, so DD was home). Doing that my wait was typically 15-20 mins. I started doing that because of you try to come on in then afternoon, then yes a multi hour wait was not uncommon. I would open the chat and do other things (periodically checking the page to make sure I was still in the queue).

At Disneyland the only time I've done the virtual interview it was a 3.5 hr wait. I signed on to the chat maybe 5-10 mins after the videos opened for the day. Looking at the waits they've had in person at DLR since the change, DLR's volume of DAS guests seems significantly higher than WDW.

TrainsOfDisney

The interview itself is the same. Yes, we've done both in person and video.
Thanks! Since the new program seems more restrictive I was thinking the interview process was more complex.

I would say the long waits are not legal but Disney could argue that anyone calling Disney is subject to long waits now - it’s amazing how far the parks have fallen from “world class” customer service they used to be known for.

Angel Ariel

Thanks! Since the new program seems more restrictive I was thinking the interview process was more complex.

I would say the long waits are not legal but Disney could argue that anyone calling Disney is subject to long waits now - it’s amazing how far the parks have fallen from “world class” customer service they used to be known for.
To clarify - I haven't done the new interview yet. My understanding is that there are typically more follow up questions than there may have been in the past. But from all accounts I've read, people have said the interview starts the same way it always did (asking what needs the guest has that require not being in line), and depending on how answered it goes from there.

You asked if the in person and video experiences were the same and seemed to be referring to them overall, not specific to the new system, so that is what I responded to. Apologies for any confusion

TrainsOfDisney

To clarify - I haven't done the new interview yet. My understanding is that there are typically more follow up questions than there may have been in the past. But from all accounts I've read, people have said the interview starts the same way it always did (asking what needs the guest has that require not being in line), and depending on how answered it goes from there.

You asked if the in person and video experiences were the same and seemed to be referring to them overall, not specific to the new system, so that is what I responded to. Apologies for any confusion
Oh so you did the old interview on video, but not the new one?

I didn’t realize there was an old version of the video - I thought the video interview was itself new so I was confused as well.

NotTheOne

Based on your previous posts, everything Disney now does related to DAS is illegal, so...

Angel Ariel

Oh so you did the old interview on video, but not the new one?

I didn’t realize there was an old version of the video - I thought the video interview was itself new so I was confused as well.
Correct - I've done the pre-May 20th DAS interviews both in person and on video. The video option began after Covid reopening, so it's been around for a few years now.

SamusAranX

So, DAS users skip the line but don't skip the wait. No issue with that obviously, as that's what the accommodation calls for, but it's intellectually dishonest to say that DAS users don't skip the line.
It’s best described as a juiced up VQ because you’re not skipping the wait but you also get to wait in a timed “line” for your ride elsewhere. For a genuine user of DAS this wasn’t really a “buff”. They used that time to perhaps change environment (sensory issues) stay near a bathroom (digestive, diabetic etc issues), and maybe if they’re lucky get to hop on People Mover if it’s a 2 minute wait For example. I can tell you from personal experience just sitting around for 45 minutes in a store or sipping a Joffreys is a huge waste of time and money you spent, so the reason this became a hack was because you could wait in two lines at once, doubling your attraction body count. Enter the abusers and non-disabled. You can’t tell me without being facetious that if WDW found some way to eliminate to where they could not allow a user to be in another standby queue while waiting for their selected RTQ, that the same amount of people would have been trying to utilize it. Because for a truly healthy person the benefit of the “hack” would be nonexistent. Nada. Most people don’t wanna wait in stores or just shoot the breeze five times a day 45 minutes at a time.

On the other hand, not all disabilities necessarily needed it even if they got easy approval. The pendulum has to be balanced, so while I feel for some who have shared their stores on social media, they need to utilize the other options that Disney is giving before giving up IMHO

NotTheOne

It’s best described as a juiced up VQ because you’re not skipping the wait but you also get to wait in a timed “line” for your ride elsewhere. For a genuine user of DAS this wasn’t really a “buff”. They used that time to perhaps change environment (sensory issues) stay near a bathroom (digestive, diabetic etc issues), and maybe if they’re lucky get to hop on People Mover if it’s a 2 minute wait For example. I can tell you from personal experience just sitting around for 45 minutes in a store or sipping a Joffreys is a huge waste of time and money you spent, so the reason this became a hack was because you could wait in two lines at once, doubling your attraction body count. Enter the abusers and non-disabled. You can’t tell me without being facetious that if WDW found some way to eliminate to where they could not allow a user to be in another standby queue while waiting for their selected RTQ, that the same amount of people would have been trying to utilize it. Because for a truly healthy person the benefit of the “hack” would be nonexistent. Nada. Most people don’t wanna wait in stores or just shoot the breeze five times a day 45 minutes at a time.

On the other hand, not all disabilities necessarily needed it even if they got easy approval. The pendulum has to be balanced, so while I feel for some who have shared their stores on social media, they need to utilize the other options that Disney is giving before giving up IMHO
DAS is skip the line, period. There is a good reason for it, as for some, it's a needed accommodation. You can call it a "timed 'line'" elsewhere if you choose to do so, but that's ridiculous on its face, as eating, going to the restroom, riding another attraction, or going back to the resort for a nap are not the same as waiting in line. All are permissible, and there is no reason DAS holders shouldn't do all of those things, but it's not the same as standing in a line.

And I'm all in on finding a way to prevent people with a DAS return time from riding other attractions while they wait, but until Disney makes that decision/finds a way, there is nothing wrong or abusive with DAS holders doing so.

Splash4eva

Interesting tidbit of info. So i was talking to one of my GF friends today she is going to Disney this week and she was approved for DAS for the same reason 2 of my other friends were denied. Only Difference i saw was this she is a single mom of 2 children thats are 7 & 11. My other friends were with another adult and the other one her daughter was 16. So im wondering if that is now getting approved to avoid any issues with minors

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
For WDW -

Prior to Oct 2021, DAS was only being issued after arrival, with a visit to guest relations.

In Oct 2021 the online chat with video call was added. This method could only be done 2-30 days before first park day. It came with 2 preselected ride time slots daily. The old in-person visit to guest relations was still an option.

May 2024- Online chat with video call still works the same, just no longer offers the 2 preselected rides daily. Guest relations is what changed. Guest relations no longer decide the requests, instead they’ll help facilitate the online chat with video through iPad they supply. All DAS requests now go through online video call.

I know less about DL. It appears they still have live in person request available. With WDW, whether you do the chat prior to arrival or at Guest relations after arrival, both go through the same chat/video system online.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom