New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Grantwil93

I believe you and I know that many here feel the same. I have no issues with that. My issue is with those who are attacking those with legitimate needs. We are allowed to feel how we feel about these changes. For many of us, WDW is the one place that we can go to feel halfway normal and only because we can get the DAS. To have that potentially taken away really sucks. And what is worse is knowing that there are fakers and having Disney treat those with legitimate issues, as if they were also faking it. When they won't accept medical documentation, then they shouldn't be calling anyone a liar.
I honestly believe that Disney will go to what universal did fully if those court cases go the way of Uni/6flags. Documents and everything. If those cases don't go that way, then these changes are their potentially ill conceived half measures

Splash4eva

I believe you and I know that many here feel the same. I have no issues with that. My issue is with those who are attacking those with legitimate needs. We are allowed to feel how we feel about these changes. For many of us, WDW is the one place that we can go to feel halfway normal and only because we can get the DAS. To have that potentially taken away really sucks. And what is worse is knowing that there are fakers and having Disney treat those with legitimate issues, as if they were also faking it. When they won't accept medical documentation, then they shouldn't be calling anyone a liar.
Thats my point. If im willing to show proof. Dr notes & letters written willingly why will you refuse to take them & simply say this person is not lying there is no Dr willing to lose their license over skipping a line at a theme park. Pretty safe to say anyone who legit needs it would havr no issues & those that are lying would be in a tizzy

RamblinWreck

But is this because people are applying for DAS now when in the past they just used FP to get through that day? With the cost and limitation of Genie+, I am sure that there are plenty of families now that apply for DAS because that is the only way for them to experience the park. FP had those 3 preselects, and then you could use it for whatever ride that you wanted as many times as there were passes for it, unlike Genie+.
I think that it is really crappy that there are so many people who lie just to get the DAS and something needs to be done, but not at the expense of those who truly need it. And it really is gross the amount of people on these boards that act as if someone with a disability getting accommodations is a bad thing.
I think a lot of people tend to see it in a black and white manner.

There’s no doubt that DAS has been an amazing benefit that has helped a lot of people.

That’s not to say that everyone who has a disability needs that specific accommodation in order to access the park’s attractions adequately. Or that even most of them do.

I think the reality is that it will be difficult for the vast majority of disabled people to make a case that the new rules aren’t accommodating them. Essentially, if you can’t wait in the regular line you still don’t have to. But someone else in your party does, and you may not all get to ride together.

And while doing everything together with your party is obviously preferable, I don’t think anyone is going to be able to make a successful legal case out of it.

It will be interesting to see what they do with smaller parties or parties where there’s only 1 adult or all adults in the party are disabled.

Chi84

Premium Member
The problem is two-fold. There are cheaters and there is an increasing number of people who have legitimate disabilities as defined by law.

Hopefully the cheaters will be eliminated. But a large number of people who previously were given DAS are now going to be offered considerably less in the way of accommodation to make room for people who previously did not ask for accommodation.

People can argue all they want here but I suspect Disney has the numbers to back what it’s doing.

jaklgreen

I think a lot of people tend to see it in a black and white manner.

There’s no doubt that DAS has been an amazing benefit that has helped a lot of people.

That’s not to say that everyone who has a disability needs that specific accommodation in order to access the park’s attractions adequately. Or that even most of them do.

I think the reality is that it will be difficult for the vast majority of disabled people to make a case that the new rules aren’t accommodating them. Essentially, if you can’t wait in the regular line you still don’t have to. But someone else in your party does, and you may not all get to ride together.

And while doing everything together with your party is obviously preferable, I don’t think anyone is going to be able to make a successful legal case out of it.

It will be interesting to see what they do with smaller parties or parties where there’s only 1 adult or all adults in the party are disabled.
I agree with the party size. It should only be the parents/adults and their minor children. You obviously can't tell one of your kids that they can't go on the ride with you. Not have extended family all together utilizing the DAS. I don't think that you will get any argument about this from many people. WDW is actually a horrible vacation destination for big groups, IMO.

RamblinWreck

Thats my point. If im willing to show proof. Dr notes & letters written willingly why will you refuse to take them & simply say this person is not lying there is no Dr willing to lose their license over skipping a line at a theme park. Pretty safe to say anyone who legit needs it would havr no issues & those that are lying would be in a tizzy
I think the concern is that there are too many people with disabilities that both qualify under the ADA and can arguably make waiting in a typical queue difficult for the DAS system to accommodate them all.

So, fakers or not, the rise in awareness of DAS combined with a large number of people who felt they could at least get by when they had fast passes, but can’t now, has just broken the system entirely.

So they’ve come up with alternative accommodations that will still provide adequate access, but not in a way that seems so generous that it appeals to people who actually don’t need it.

I do think it’s going to cause a lot of discomfort for people that they were able to avoid with the DAS system. Hopefully Disney works to limit that as much as possible,

I’m sure there will be growing pains with the roll-out

rct247

Ultimately, I think having everyone scan into lines will be the ultimate answer. If you are in one, you can't be in another unless it's VQ or LL. If you need to leave and reenter, you scan. If you have DAS you scan to be in line virtually but you can't then go get in another line. I think that DASs ability to go do something else is it's primary draw outside of those that truly need it for cognitive disabilities.

Vegas Disney Fan

It makes sense because 1 person on the DAS can easily ride 10x as many rides as someone who isn’t, all other things being equal. And they can do all the big ticket attractions without having to wait, while they do the other attractions with less wait. So DAS passes all get used on the rides with long lines (by people who aren’t abusing it and also by everyone who is abusing it) and it makes them practically impossible to ride for anyone without a lightning lane pass, or half a day to waste in line

Theoretically it could probably be 3-4x the number of rides but I highly doubt that’s the reality for most, I can’t remember the last time we managed a full day in the parks, usually by 2pm we’re back at the hotel, some days we make it back to the parks at 6, other days we never make it back. A good day for us is 10 rides, a bad day is 2-3, an average day is probably 6-8, I’d be surprised if that’s more than the average guest.

Ultimately, I think having everyone scan into lines will be the ultimate answer. If you are in one, you can't be in another unless it's VQ or LL. If you need to leave and reenter, you scan. If you have DAS you scan to be in line virtually but you can't then go get in another line. I think that DASs ability to go do something else is it's primary draw outside of those that truly need it for cognitive disabilities.

Not a bad solution, I wonder if that’s something that could be incorporated into the MagicBand+.

Trauma

The problem is two-fold. There are cheaters and there is an increasing number of people who have legitimate disabilities as defined by law.

Hopefully the cheaters will be eliminated. But a large number of people who previously were given DAS are now going to be offered considerably less in the way of accommodation to make room for people who previously did not ask for accommodation.

People can argue all they want here but I suspect Disney has the numbers to back what it’s doing.
I have a longer answer to this, that I’ll respond with whenever I wake up tomorrow. They wanted me to sleep for 4 hours after this LASIK and now my sleep schedule is off and I’m realizing it’s 4am.

Let me just say this for now.

Disney has had numbers on a lot of things for a very long time. For years now, an endless number of things could have been done to not end up where we are now.

I’m assuming you have been to the parks plenty so you will know what I’m talking about here is true.

Disney sells you on the Magic. The memories.

Hey check out this DVC, you can share the Magic with your family for the next 50 years. Generations of your family will experience the Magic together.

Now a lot of families have an older generation that they would most definitely would like to share the Magic with.

You have seen them, a sweet 81 year old lady getting on Space mountain, Grandkid in the front seat and she is sitting there with a look of pure happiness on her face.

You see that’s Disney to me. That’s what it represented. It was more than just some rides and a castle. It was the culmination of so many amazing things coming together to deliver an experience you simply couldn’t find anywhere else.

It’s family.

It’s home.

You also know too be true that among that older generation there will be many that struggle with the parks and benefited greatly from DAS.

I know they are going to provide some other form of accommodations but it may just be to much for some people.

They could have added sufficient capacity to the parks.

They didn’t have to monetize line skipping.

The could have had more live entertainment and things to do besides rides.

They could have lived up to the Disney name instead of cowing to Wall Street.

Well I was planning on keeping this short but the pills they gave me are kicking in and I’m rambling.

Hopefully some of this makes sense.

All I know for sure is this whole situation really miffs my muffins because it could have been avoided with proper stewardship of what it means to be Disney.

Touchdown

Yes, this explains it perfectly. Everyone is so hung up about how all of the DAS users are "taking up space", well no crap. They are in the park also, no different than anyone else. DAS people waited for the ride, just like everyone else. They are not stealing anyone's space. It is getting annoying, the people that are acting as if those who use DAS are getting some kind of free ride. They paid their admission, they waited for their turn on the ride, and they shouldn't be treated like some kind of usurper. Frankly, some of these posts about those with disabilities are disgusting. Every single person would love to not have their medical issues.
Except they didn’t wait just like everyone else, Disney, which has the data, knows that a significant portion of them use that time they are waiting to go ride other attractions lengthening standby lines at the exact same time. Additionally there are so many of them that are not accounted for that they lengthen the G+ line for paying guests significantly affecting the satisfaction of premium guests that expected better service and angering a majority of guests in standby because instead of the 80:20 ratio lines should be a majority of the day lines are 90:10 or worse 100:0 due to the length of LL. This is the only reason Disney is changing, and it puts them in a bad light politically, the fact that they are still doing it means the company feels that financially they have no choice. You can argue about the way they handled this (although I personally would wait to see what the alternative option becomes first) but you cannot argue this point, it’s a fact, no matter if you believe it or not.

Happyday

Yes, this explains it perfectly. Everyone is so hung up about how all of the DAS users are "taking up space", well no crap. They are in the park also, no different than anyone else. DAS people waited for the ride, just like everyone else. They are not stealing anyone's space. It is getting annoying, the people that are acting as if those who use DAS are getting some kind of free ride. They paid their admission, they waited for their turn on the ride, and they shouldn't be treated like some kind of usurper. Frankly, some of these posts about those with disabilities are disgusting. Every single person would love to not have their medical issues.
AMEN right back at you thank you for saying how I have been feeling.

Happyday

Or at least make the prebooks lower rides. I was really surprised to see rides like SDD on the list
Some of us don't or can't use them anyway. This is why Genie+ doesn't work for us. We can't guarantee we will get there in the hour time frame you never know when will be a good time to ride. Not saying this is our situation but with what I know and see...between medical needs, bathroom needs, sensory shutdown to name a few.
While I'm on this subject I know some people with DAS will go on a bunch of other rides while waiting not all of them do IF we get on another ride while waiting we usually find a low key ride Magic carpets of Aladdin at MK is a go to for us. Again not saying this applies to us but with my knowledge and what I've seen, some take care of other needs during wait times as those take a lot longer than they would for an average person sometimes a trip all the way to first aide for a bathroom need in addition to the extra time needed while there, finding a quiet place to take care of medical needs, getting something to eat believe me sometimes I have seen a meal time last for over an hour. I understand that many people don't have these issues and are able to get on multiple rides but keep in mind disabilities come with many different needs

Happyday

Multiple DAS allows a party of 16 to all book and go together.

GR will sometimes issue multiple DAS for large parties just for that reason. Even if someone doesn't need it. It's something that does happen with hige regularity. Which I think is a big factor in why they want to cut party size and limit it to immediate family only exceptions.
I am guessing this is also why GR can not issue a DAS anymore.🤷🏻‍♀️

SamusAranX

Except they didn’t wait just like everyone else, Disney, which has the data, knows that a significant portion of them use that time they are waiting to go ride other attractions lengthening standby lines at the exact same time. Additionally there are so many of them that are not accounted for that they lengthen the G+ line for paying guests significantly affecting the satisfaction of premium guests that expected better service and angering a majority of guests in standby because instead of the 80:20 ratio lines should be a majority of the day lines are 90:10 or worse 100:0 due to the length of LL. This is the only reason Disney is changing, and it puts them in a bad light politically, the fact that they are still doing it means the company feels that financially they have no choice. You can argue about the way they handled this (although I personally would wait to see what the alternative option becomes first) but you cannot argue this point, it’s a fact, no matter if you believe it or not.
I agree with the substance of your post BUT how does does Disney have concrete numbers of DAS users who are also going to wait in standby lines while waiting for their call back time? Nobody scans into standby

Happyday

Exa
I’m getting it from personal experience.

I have been to Disney World with someone who didn’t have to lie to get a pass but IMO didn’t actually need one, within the last few years.

We never waited for anything. We practically ran from ride to ride. If there was a time where we might feel like there was some down time because we booked something with a bit of a wait then you just use that time to grab lunch or go to the bathroom.

People who aren’t on the DAS can’t do that. When they are in line, they are in line.

Anything with a 45 minute wait or less practically becomes an instant walk on. You put in for the next DAS while you’re getting on the current ride. Then by the time you get off that ride and walk over to your next booking, it’s time to walk on again. And repeat.

Everything from walking across the park, to going to the bathroom, to eating meals, to catching a parade counts as “standing in line” when you’re on the DAS. It’s an unbelievably generous benefit

I didn’t say it was abuse.

But it’s a problem for the park, and not one with an easy solution.
Exactly because there are many DAS users that literally can't do this but others that can there needs to be a different solution. Check out some of my other responses.

ohioguy

I just don’t think that’s what humans do. I don’t think it’s cynical to think that, but I look at it like a survival mechanism we have— “If something is there for the taking and going to advantage me, then I should do it.”
The human condition will always vie for one's self interest. But a moral mind - from learned and exampled behavior -will do the right thing.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I'm not going to argue your experience. It sure as heck isn't ours though. 45 min DAS waits were 45 min DAS waits.

True. But that wait isn’t from end of ride to beginning of ride.

You DAS jungle cruise, for example. 45 minute wait, okay. You booked it the moment you got into the park, so by the time you walk there, after taking Castle selfie’s and grabbing a Starbies, it’s time to get on the ride. Zero wait.

The moment you scan in, you book DAS for pirates that has a 45 minute wait (35 min return time). You get through the LL of JC, ride the actual ride, then by the time it’s over your return time is up for Pirates so you walk onto that. Rinse and repeat.

That’s what that poster is saying.

Fido Chuckwagon

Personally i dont see 1/2 the DAS users being frauds… but again you want to increase capacity take away the 2 pre books. Why have they not done this already?!? They are under NO obligation at alllll to give this. Next they should have reduced party sizes way back and simply allowed those with larger immediate families the exceptions. That would help out tremendously.
A DAS user doesn’t have to be a “fraud” for this to be still be a systemic problem. Part of the problem here is obviously that people are getting an accommodation that interferes with park operations when a different and less demanding accommodation is possible. This is why things like a “return to line” pass are a reasonable accommodation for those whose disability prevents them from standing in lines for a long period of time without a break (versus those who are neurodivergent and literally cannot wait in a long line). Then there’s the soft abuse already mentioned here, when those who legitimately qualify for DAS nevertheless “maximize” it to such an extent that they are using it when they don’t need to. Things like a DAS user who uses DAS to skip a 15 minute peoplemover line, not because they really can’t wait in that line (they just waited in a 20 minute lightning lane+after-merge line for Soarin the day before) but because they have the service, so they use it.

In the end it doesn’t really matter whether it’s all abuse. What matters is that the system as a whole is unsustainable. As DAS usage increases year over year (that tripling stat is eye-popping), more and more of overall ride capacity will go to DAS and less and less will be available for everyone else. Each individual DAS user may think “hey, I’m only adding a minute onto everyone else’s line, and they’re all jerks for questioning that”), but in the aggregate every ride only has a certain amount of throughput every day. DAS is currently on the trajectory that, if unchanged, nearly all of that throughput would go to those within the DAS ecosystem, with very little left for everything else. Something had to change, and this is why Disney is doing this.

Fido Chuckwagon

Although… if we believe the assertion that everyone with DAS would be in the standby line without it
Nobody is asserting that. Whether you have DAS or not the average person can only tolerate so many long waits in one day and still have a somewhat enjoyable day. One of the reasons that DAS is leading to such a hoovering of ride capacity is because DAS users, in the aggregate, are almost certainly riding more attractions per day than those without DAS.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom