New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

lazyboy97o

I mean, I’m not “estimating” anything here. We have pretty good information that:
1. At least 50-75 percent of people in the Lightning Lane are DAS; Source: Earlier postings in this thread by @lentesta;
2. 80-95 percent of ride capacity goes to Lightning Lanes; Source: Tons of posts by insiders about how LL’s and Genie+ work over multiple threads going back years at this point; and
3. Around 8 percent of people in the park are DAS users; Source: Again, insiders in this thread.

From there it’s pretty easy to do the math and see that at least 40-71 percent of ride capacity is being used by 8 percent of people. It’s not particularly difficult math. I understand that these numbers do not support the arguments of those defending the current system, which is why they are being ignored or dismissed :rolleyes:.
8% of people that are with a party of four jumps you up to 32% of visitors. An average party of five gets you to 40%. We’re already in that range just based on party size.

Grantwil93

The same way they're going to be making the determination for guests now. Do cast members not have to go through the same process to qualify?

And this is the whole point many here are trying to make when pointing out there will be people who legitimately qualify who will be left behind by this change.
Yeah, they do. But I was referring to the old system. Sorry.

The virtual chat and potential to rope in a 3rd party should do a LOT in this regard. But it's a very unpopular change it seems because it seems to go hand in hand with limiting the scope of what is valid to grant a pass,which is more controversial

Splash4eva

If they don't do it, lots of parties just book anyway and then show up with ppl not on the reservation and it's up to the CM at the rude to either tell the remaining 2 or more ppl they can't go or just let them in.

Happens to me a lot. And it is something that can and should have been curtailed. I'm agreeing with you that many things can be done.
CMs are usually very friendly but there are more now that literally will sit there and tellyou wait if you have say 2 minutes from the 5 minute grace w DAS & if you use Genie will let you on w/o an issue lol

jaklgreen

It sorta feels like you are ignoring data gathered by real ppl like @lentesta , the anecdotal evidence and opinions of ppl who work at WDW(like me) in daily operations and see the actual scans, and ppl showing how bad this easily could be on paper.

And are just saying that there isn't any way it could be this extreme. I can tell you that it is.

And I agree that WDW needs more capacity. But even if Disney immediately started addressing it with massive expansion right this second, that's still at least 5 years from fixing anything.

Something must be done. And reducing the overall load DAS has on daily operations seems to be a first target for the company. I'm not sure I agree, but I feel like it's nice that so many ppl are seeing just how broken the combo of DAS/G+ has become at the current WDW
What you are all really calling for is for disabled to just stay at home. Because people are not going to automatically not have their medical issues just because you don't want them to.
Why is this a DAS issue and not a Genie+ issue? Clearly the real problem started when they introduced Genie+. And would you all have such an issue with DAS if there were no fakers? Because it seems like you are attacking legitimate DAS users, some even going so far as to claim that people don't really need them for their issues.

RamblinWreck

Where are you getting that das users can do all the big ticket attractions without having to wait? That would be a front of the line pass. That's what GAC was for many. That's not what DAS has ever been. Yes they can do other rides with short waits while they wait, and I have not debated the existence of DAS abuse existing - but none of that changes that DAS users are not riding "big ticket attractions" with no wait. Every time we've gotten DAS for a headliner, the return time has been at least 45 mins out, if not more. No wait would mean we're walking straight into the LL. That's not what happens.
I’m getting it from personal experience.

I have been to Disney World with someone who didn’t have to lie to get a pass but IMO didn’t actually need one, within the last few years.

We never waited for anything. We practically ran from ride to ride. If there was a time where we might feel like there was some down time because we booked something with a bit of a wait then you just use that time to grab lunch or go to the bathroom.

People who aren’t on the DAS can’t do that. When they are in line, they are in line.

Anything with a 45 minute wait or less practically becomes an instant walk on. You put in for the next DAS while you’re getting on the current ride. Then by the time you get off that ride and walk over to your next booking, it’s time to walk on again. And repeat.

Everything from walking across the park, to going to the bathroom, to eating meals, to catching a parade counts as “standing in line” when you’re on the DAS. It’s an unbelievably generous benefit.

jaklgreen

It makes sense because 1 person on the DAS can easily ride 10x as many rides as someone who isn’t, all other things being equal. And they can do all the big ticket attractions without having to wait, while they do the other attractions with less wait. So DAS passes all get used on the rides with long lines (by people who aren’t abusing it and also by everyone who is abusing it) and it makes them practically impossible to ride for anyone without a lightning lane pass, or half a day to waste in line
What do you mean, "without having to wait"? NO ONE is getting a front of the line pass.

Grantwil93

CMs are usually very friendly but there are more now that literally will sit there and tellyou wait if you have say 2 minutes from the 5 minute grace w DAS & if you use Genie will let you on w/o an issue lol
At least for me, it's cause the capacity is so broken that being nice and letting ppl in early or late just breaks it moreso we literally can't. Still, it's a case by case basis. I try to bring as much magic as I can every day and I love my job. Not everyone has that mindset though

Splash4eva

I have been to Disney World with someone who didn’t have to lie to get a pass but IMO didn’t actually need one, within the last few years.

We never waited for anything. We practically ran from ride to ride. If there was a time where we might feel like there was some down time because we booked something with a bit of a wait then you just use that time to grab lunch or go to the bathroom.

People who aren’t on the DAS can’t do that. When they are in line, they are in line.

Anything with a 45 minute wait or less practically becomes an instant walk on. You put in for the next DAS while you’re getting on the current ride. Then by the time you get off that ride and walk over to your next booking, it’s time to walk on again. And repeat.

Everything from walking across the park, to going to the bathroom, to eating meals, to catching a parade counts as “standing in line” when you’re on the DAS. It’s an unbelievably generous benefit.
And how is any of this abuse when its literally exactly how disney tells you & allows you to use the system. So again its disneys policies that are creating this mess not frauds

RamblinWreck

What you are all really calling for is for disabled to just stay at home. Because people are not going to automatically not have their medical issues just because you don't want them to.
Why is this a DAS issue and not a Genie+ issue? Clearly the real problem started when they introduced Genie+. And would you all have such an issue with DAS if there were no fakers? Because it seems like you are attacking legitimate DAS users, some even going so far as to claim that people don't really need them for their issues.
DAS usage is skyrocketing, Genie+ isn’t.

Honestly I was skeptical of the new rules at first but it sounds like they’ve come up with pretty good solutions and accommodations.

The only thing that seems to be an issue is the idea that parties with someone who can’t wait the whole line out may need to ride in smaller groups rather than as a whole party. Hopefully they come up with some alternative to that.

Grantwil93

Genie + is the issue. I'm pretty sure I said that somewhere in here.

I've repeatedly said that I want everyone accommodated and I don't even like all these changes

I would have zero issue with DAS if there were no fakers no matter how much it impacted operations. The point was illustrating how much impact the system currently has and trying to figure out if Disbey can at all reduce it fairly.

I will say again that I want everyone to have what they need.

Angel Ariel

I'm not going to argue your experience. It sure as heck isn't ours though. 45 min DAS waits were 45 min DAS waits.

Grantwil93

Its a problem bc they did nothing to try & fix it.
How do you fix this particular aspect? Do you turn it into like getting a redemption for the ride and not being able to book till after you get off and you can't ride anything else?

I don't think those are good solutions. But there probably is a way to change it to close that type of usage as the other user was describing(and that type of usage is why it's popular)

jaklgreen

DAS usage is skyrocketing, Genie+ isn’t.

Honestly I was skeptical of the new rules at first but it sounds like they’ve come up with pretty good solutions and accommodations.

The only thing that seems to be an issue is the idea that parties with someone who can’t wait the whole line out may need to ride in smaller groups rather than as a whole party. Hopefully they come up with some alternative to that.
But is this because people are applying for DAS now when in the past they just used FP to get through that day? With the cost and limitation of Genie+, I am sure that there are plenty of families now that apply for DAS because that is the only way for them to experience the park. FP had those 3 preselects, and then you could use it for whatever ride that you wanted as many times as there were passes for it, unlike Genie+.
I think that it is really crappy that there are so many people who lie just to get the DAS and something needs to be done, but not at the expense of those who truly need it. And it really is gross the amount of people on these boards that act as if someone with a disability getting accommodations is a bad thing.

RamblinWreck

Its a problem bc they did nothing to try & fix it.
Oh I absolutely suspect they intentionally let it get as out of control as it is now, just to have a stronger position to all but eliminate the benefit entirely.

If they aren’t careful about implementing their alternative accommodations, they may even lose a lawsuit.

jaklgreen

Genie + is the issue. I'm pretty sure I said that somewhere in here.

I've repeatedly said that I want everyone accommodated and I don't even like all these changes

I would have zero issue with DAS if there were no fakers no matter how much it impacted operations. The point was illustrating how much impact the system currently has and trying to figure out if Disbey can at all reduce it fairly.

I will say again that I want everyone to have what they need.
I believe you and I know that many here feel the same. I have no issues with that. My issue is with those who are attacking those with legitimate needs. We are allowed to feel how we feel about these changes. For many of us, WDW is the one place that we can go to feel halfway normal and only because we can get the DAS. To have that potentially taken away really sucks. And what is worse is knowing that there are fakers and having Disney treat those with legitimate issues, as if they were also faking it. When they won't accept medical documentation, then they shouldn't be calling anyone a liar.

Splash4eva

How do you fix this particular aspect? Do you turn it into like getting a redemption for the ride and not being able to book till after you get off and you can't ride anything else?

I don't think those are good solutions. But there probably is a way to change it to close that type of usage as the other user was describing(and that type of usage is why it's popular)
Get rid of the pre books its a no brainer! Limit amount in a party they are. Limit rerides to even less people. Yes by allowing DAS to wait to book over the course of the day that time adds up & you probably lose 1-2 rides which multiplied is a huge number

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom