New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

KDM31091

The peoplemover used to be a literal walk on almost at all times, and now has a permanent and constant queue of 15+ minutes. It does not have a lightning lane. It is constantly loading and moving and has high capacity. What’s causing the sudden longer wait, if not DAS? Yes, some is legitimate. But some is not.

Splash4eva

I’m sorry about your mother. My point is simply that heat exhaustion can happen to literally all of us in the parks.

I also never said she shouldn’t enjoy her time, or anyone with a condition shouldn’t enjoy their time. However, being in the oppressively hot, crowded theme parks in the summer, is perhaps not ideal for certain conditions, whether you get DAS or not.
For starters as i said she has many conditions etc… but that is where you are incorrect. Disney access to GAC/DAS allows her and others to be able to enjoy the parks by avoiding long wait times in heat allowing her and others to move around and get drinks and snacks to cool off etc. im hope you get the point. So along with her conditions this is one of them DAS makes it possible for her to visit.

Splash4eva

The peoplemover used to be a literal walk on almost at all times, and now has a permanent and constant queue of 15+ minutes. It does not have a lightning lane. It is constantly loading and moving and has high capacity. What’s causing the sudden longer wait, if not DAS? Yes, some is legitimate. But some is not.
The constant breakdowns do not help either lol

lazyboy97o

It couldn’t possibly be that the park sees significantly higher visitation than it was designed to handle.

Hockey89

Depends on a groups plans, budget, and ability to save more. We go for more days knowing we can't be in the parks as many hours. Luckily only a group of 3, but that's an additional $862 just for Genie+. Ride each ILL once is $268.38 Given the short lead time to implementing, larger groups may struggle to come up with additional funds.
Oh well, they have to follow the rules and not abuse the system to save money or just skip lines. Good.

Hockey89

You do know autism is classed as an invisible disability? You can’t tell by looking at them that they’re autistic. With some, sure. But not all of them.
And many will be kids. They won’t be “interviewing” them.

What the new virtual process does do is take away the burden on the CMs at GS for making the decision.

Of course they’ll still have to deal with irate guests who have been denied DAS.
How many kids I deal with that have some level of autism or some learning issues that 100% can wait in line. It’s the same parents that say there are fine but when it comes to skipping lines they are fully on board. Stop. Is there a small % of those cases that can’t wait but there are plenty of 16 year olds that can within line 100% better than a 6 year. It’s all about getting special advantages

Tha Realest

It’s not the equivalent to stand-by. The non-Genie+, non-DAS guest cannot magically duplicate themself and go on the carousel, the train, or any other low wait attraction while still simultaneously waiting to get to the end of the Mine Train line. What you’re experiencing in that scenario is closer to Genie+ with free ILL included.

That is why DAS has been so appealing to people who would function just fine without it.
Even the laws of time and physics can’t overcome a sense of Pixie Dust entitlement.

Horizonsfan

It couldn’t possibly be that the park sees significantly higher visitation than it was designed to handle.
Both things can be true at the same time. The parks are undersized/optimized to today’s crowds & there’s selfish people who have unilaterally decided they deserve special treatment, without any third party diagnosis.

SamusAranX

One thing I wonder is how, if they still are not requesting documentation, is WDW going to determine who lied on their application and permanently ban them. Stalk them with a CM? Assign someone to look at social media posts?

Tha Realest

The only real change there is the specific statement about DAS.

It doesn’t address the main issue which is all those who have been able to get DAS up until now but will apparently not qualify in a few weeks time.

Not even “we will be introducing a new procedure for guests who need to leave the line for medical issues”.
Everyone has been debating where Disney drew the line (e.g., developmentally disabled, sure, but what about those with physical ailments?). This new line about developmental disabilities - and nothing else - is repeated twice in two days in different policy statements. It should be presumed, until we start seeing implementation, that this is the new standard.

pdude81

One thing I wonder is how, if they still are not requesting documentation, is WDW going to determine who lied on their application and permanently ban them. Stalk them with a CM? Assign someone to look at social media posts?
I'm sure they are only going to ban extreme cheating examples. However, they will now have someone on video making statements as to what is needed and possibly why. If other evidence clearly goes against what was stated to obtain the pass, the original statements can't be walked back.

SamusAranX

I'm sure they are only going to ban extreme cheating examples. However, they will now have someone on video making statements as to what is needed and possibly why. If other evidence clearly goes against what was stated to obtain the pass, the original statements can't be walked back.
But again, what “other evidence”? If the person isn’t posting on social media or is private, then WDW has no way of gathering evidence.

KDM31091

Both things can be true at the same time. The parks are undersized/optimized to today’s crowds & there’s selfish people who have unilaterally decided they deserve special treatment, without any third party diagnosis.
Exactly. I feel it’s a combination of both. The peoplemover had virtually no queue to speak of for what, 45+ years? It’s only in the past several it is routinely 15-20 minute wait yes even on slower days. That isn’t all just due to attendance.

Patcheslee

Oh well, they have to follow the rules and not abuse the system to save money or just skip lines. Good.
Why do you assume anyone who uses DAS is abusing it? The changes will unfortunately have some whom legitimately need DAS to be denied. That's the problem with any system them implement. If ppl don't have the ability to come up with the extra funds to purchase Genie+ or ILL in 30 days it makes sense to not go.

Happyday

How many kids I deal with that have some level of autism or some learning issues that 100% can wait in line. It’s the same parents that say there are fine but when it comes to skipping lines they are fully on board. Stop. Is there a small % of those cases that can’t wait but there are plenty of 16 year olds that can within line 100% better than a 6 year. It’s all about getting special advantages
I as well deal with kids and adults with autism and yes in a structured environment absolutely, with a teacher, aide also yes but... I have seen multiple kids and adults break down when in a busy environment like Disney not to mention they may have autism but they are still kids (even some adults depending on severity) and they always behave differently for Mom and Dad than for others like I said this is not any different from neurotypical kids but the 'filters' aren't there. Yes some do look at it for the special advantage and some people absolutely take advantage. I am not prepared to give percentages as that is beyond my expertise.

KDM31091

Why do you assume anyone who uses DAS is abusing it? The changes will unfortunately have some whom legitimately need DAS to be denied. That's the problem with any system them implement. If ppl don't have the ability to come up with the extra funds to purchase Genie+ or ILL in 30 days it makes sense to not go.
Of course not everyone who uses it abuses it, but there are plenty of people who do abuse it, enough that Disney sees it as a problem.

Tha Realest

Why do you assume anyone who uses DAS is abusing it? The changes will unfortunately have some whom legitimately need DAS to be denied.

Says who?

Why is it suddenly a necessity?

Disney only needs to provide reasonable modifications to the extent they do not fundamentally alter their ability to provide services to all of their guests. That’s clearly what the current DAS system has affected.

That's the problem with any system them implement. If ppl don't have the ability to come up with the extra funds to purchase Genie+ or ILL in 30 days it makes sense to not go.

G+ is a marginal cost. If the marginal cost of G+ is too much - and we’ve never purchased it and haven’t gone as much since it was implemented - then that is a calculus each guest must make.

Fido Chuckwagon

Lightning lanes for many rides are 15 minutes or more. If you are using DAS for peoplemover and are also using DAS for Soarin (where you are definitely waiting at least 15 minutes even if it’s clear until the merge), then you are likely using a DAS that you don’t actually need.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom