New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Kingoglow

Maybe. Maybe grandma and grandpa paid for the trip. Or maybe people are sick of having extra fees and hassle just because of their or their child's disability. Frankly, I think that it is criminal that some doctors charge you for that.
I would imagine that grandparents would offer to pay for a visit to the doctor before a vacation.

Splash4eva

So if someone feels like their civil rights were violated they are entitled? I don’t follow this logic at all.
Here let me explain a little further… i see a decent amount of drawback on having to provide docs because its “illegal” yet people also complaining that there are cheaters and annoyed “anyone” can gain access. You cant have it both ways. Literally Disney has given the blueprint on how to gain access to the new rules and its out there plenty on what kinda needs to be said & done. Some of which is required documentation. Would be pretty difficult to obtain. The lawsuit to me has Zero to do with whether proof is or isnt needed and the judge/jury can rule in favor of the plaintiff but still say documentation is also legal for theme parks to require which honestly i hope they do.

Chi84

Premium Member
There are people who have been given DAS for non neurological conditions too. So they are not blanket denying or approving any type of condition.
Disney’s own description of DAS limits the program to those whose inability to stand in line is due to a developmental disability like autism or a similar disorder.

People have every right to argue that the program is limited in that way regardless of what Disney does in practice. They don’t have to try anyway and hope Disney doesn’t follow its own express policy.

nickys

Premium Member
Disney’s own description of DAS limits the program to those whose inability to stand in line is due to a developmental disability like autism or a similar disorder.

People have every right to argue that the program is limited in that way regardless of what Disney does in practice. They don’t have to try anyway and hope Disney doesn’t follow its own express policy.
Of course people have that right, they have the right to argue anything they want.

Disney do however encourage people to call and discuss their issue so that they can explain other ways in which they might be accommodated.

During the course of that conversation, some have been given DAS when the CM or the advisor has determined that is the appropriate solution.

I was simply pointing out there is no blanket approval or denial.

Chi84

Premium Member
Of course people have that right, they have the right to argue anything they want.

Disney do however encourage people to call and discuss their issue so that they can explain other ways in which they might be accommodated.

During the course of that conversation, some have been given DAS when the CM or the advisor has determined that is the appropriate solution.

I was simply pointing out there is no blanket approval or denial.
It’s not a matter of being free to argue anything. If someone sues Disney for discriminating based on type of disability, Disney won’t be able to defend by saying that, despite their express wording, they encourage disabled guests to call regarding other services and sometimes give them DAS.

I do agree that they are sometimes giving out DAS to those who don’t meet their express definition.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I do hope this 'must have a reservation before we will discuss DAS with you' is just a phase as they work through the transition.

That is an outright horrible policy. I get you can say "I can't assign you a DAS at this time..." - but refusing to meet and discuss individual situations is horrible customer service.

TrainsOfDisney

It may or may not ever come up - but in an ADA case with Marriott it was brought up that larger corporations (like mariott hotels) shouldn’t be able to use an excuse of “we would have to pay extra workers to staff the phones”

So a huge corporation like Disney should indeed be careful with how this is handled. (This being call times, who is allowed to call for information, etc.)

nickys

Premium Member
I do hope this 'must have a reservation before we will discuss DAS with you' is just a phase as they work through the transition.

That is an outright horrible policy. I get you can say "I can't assign you a DAS at this time..." - but refusing to meet and discuss individual situations is horrible customer service.
It’s always been like that though, hasn’t it?

I realise because of the changes that people who were previously given it are unsure.

But for any first time guest, they have never been able to get approval in advance. Or even able to speak to anyone about it. You were told to go to GS when you arrived at a park.

jennab55

But hasn’t this always been the case? I guess that is what confuses me when people get so upset about it now. Even just few years ago Disney didn’t approve anyone until they were there in person. People could have been denied after they got to WDW.

Angel Ariel

They tested her and she had above average IQ and did just fine. She had the same "issues" that I had, if we are not interested in the subject, then we just shut our minds to it. She was not incapable of learning and had no disability, she just didn't care. I told them this and they STILL wanted to get her an IEP. Her grades where either As, or Fs, depending on if she bothered to put an effort in.
I share this to show that not every kid that has an IEP necessarily has some kind of disability. And that an IEP should not be used as some kind of proof of a disability. That it the WHOLE point of my posts. I don't know how some have misconstrued what I am saying.
Disclaimers up front:
1 - I agree that IEPs shouldn't be used as proof of anything.

2- nothing I am about to say is about your family's personal experience

I share this to show that not every kid that has an IEP necessarily has some kind of disability.

This generalized assertion is what I disagree with, as it is fundamentally incorrect. I'm not saying there's never one off situations where school districts might over provide, but that's NOT the norm. IEPs are provided from the "Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act" (IDEA). It's in the name. It requires evidence and data based decisions to support that a child has a disability.

Learning disabilities don't mean someone has a lower than average IQ. Nor does having a learning disability mean someone is incapable of learning. There are thousands of "twice exceptional" students - students who are both gifted and have a disability.

Sticking to the concept of IEPs shouldn't be used for proof, I agree. The generalized assertion that theres this number of students with IEPs who don't actually have disabilities, however, I disagree with.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
It’s always been like that though, hasn’t it?

I realise because of the changes that people who were previously given it are unsure.

But for any first time guest, they have never been able to get approval in advance. Or even able to speak to anyone about it. You were told to go to GS when you arrived at a park.

But hasn’t this always been the case? I guess that is what confuses me when people get so upset about it now. Even just few years ago Disney didn’t approve anyone until they were there in person. People could have been denied after they got to WDW.

I’m pretty sure it was sixty days out, but i might be wrong. I have a mushy brain that doesn’t remember anything.

Angel Ariel

But again they aren’t blanket approving all people with autism or other developmental disabilities. They drew the line in the sand where they believed it needed to be and are offering other accommodations for physical disabilities. Is it a perfect system? No, but changes had to be made and this is what they decided to do. I understand why. They may make tweaks at some point as well but I highly doubt it will ever go back to everyone with any type of disability is eligible. That just doesn’t work for disabled and non disabled park goers.
And it's important to note the line in the sand doesn't appear to be the diagnosis (since they still don't want to hear that).

The line in the sand appears to be - does the queue environment itself cause or exacerbate the disability with no other possibly remedy. There are people with physical disabilities who have been approved. It's a very small number compared to what it used to be - but it also can't be said that they're blanket denying those with physical disabilities when there are still people with physical disabilities being approved.

Chi84

Premium Member
And it's important to note the line in the sand doesn't appear to be the diagnosis (since they still don't want to hear that).

The line in the sand appears to be - does the queue environment itself cause or exacerbate the disability with no other possibly remedy. There are people with physical disabilities who have been approved. It's a very small number compared to what it used to be - but it also can't be said that they're blanket denying those with physical disabilities when there are still people with physical disabilities being approved.
But it can be said that Disney is denying DAS to those with physical disabilities based on the express wording of its program. What about all the people with physical disabilities who don’t apply for DAS because of this language?

My issue with this is pretty straightforward. People have a right to take Disney at its word and Disney has to stand by what it represents.

jennab55

I’m pretty sure it was sixty days out, but i might be wrong. I have a mushy brain that doesn’t remember anything.
When they switched it to online, it was 30 days out from your first park day. However, prior to that (a few years ago) you couldn’t even apply online beforehand you could only do it after arriving. At least that is how I’m remembering it. However, maybe someone else knows if there was ever a 60 day prior option? I suppose that might give people a little extra time

Angel Ariel

But it can be said that Disney is denying DAS to those with physical disabilities based on the express wording of its program. What about all the people with physical disabilities who don’t apply for DAS because of this language?

My issue with this is pretty straightforward. People have a right to take Disney at its word and Disney has to stand by what it represents.
I get that too, and see your point completely.

Angel Ariel

When they switched it to online, it was 30 days out from your first park day. However, prior to that (a few years ago) you couldn’t even apply online beforehand you could only do it after arriving. At least that is how I’m remembering it. However, maybe someone else knows if there was ever a 60 day prior option? I suppose that might give people a little extra time
I don't think it was ever 60 for pre-registration - since preregistration started only after Covid.

I didn't have an issue with just showing up back then but DAS was also much more widely given. Right or not, people didn't have much reason to think they'd be denied. With the Choi e to much more significantly limit who qualifies, it would make sense to me to make preregistration earlier and allow for tickets to be refunded if they require tickets to have the comversation.

Tigger&Pooh

maybe someone else knows if there was ever a 60 day prior option?

Not 60. About 3 years ago when they started the video pre-registration was the first time it could be done prior to arrival on property, and it was only 30 days out. No different than now. Pre-covid it was only in person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom