New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jennab55

But this attitude is part of the problem and how its so easy to scam … people with legit disabilities should embrace this imo. We all go to Drs and obtaining a note verifying/validating ones condition should not be an issue
People who scam will continue to scam. They will make their own notes or honestly just ask their dr to write a note and say they have anxiety or something. Most doctors want to help. If a patient says, hey will you write me this note for my trip it would really help me out, do you think they’d say no? I just don’t feel documentation is going to help THAT much, especially since the previous issues were due to overuse, not abuse…. Now if the new DAS approvals end up overwhelming the system and we are back in the same boat, then maybe, but until then I just don’t think documentation is the answer.

Splash4eva

Validating that someone has a disability does nothing when it comes to determining accommodations.
Again anyone with any legit disability that will be approved should embrace this as it weeds out more liars and cheats. Im not sure where the disconnect here is in conveying this message.

NotTheOne

People who scam will continue to scam. They will make their own notes or honestly just ask their dr to write a note and say they have anxiety or something. Most doctors want to help. If a patient says, hey will you write me this note for my trip it would really help me out, do you think they’d say no? I just don’t feel documentation is going to help THAT much, especially since the previous issues were due to overuse, not abuse…. Now if the new DAS approvals end up overwhelming the system and we are back in the same boat, then maybe, but until then I just don’t think documentation is the answer.
If approvals start overwhelming the system again, at some point I can Disney just going the route of saying there is no way to accommodate those who can't wait in line without negatively impacting park operations.

Splash4eva

I agree cheaters will cheat. So you really believe a Dr is going to write a fake diagnosis of say some child having autism where there is no proof of it etc for one of his/her patients for them to skip a line?!? Listen im from NY and am as skeptical as can be and far from naive but no way is your Dr doing that and risking his license. Im sorry.

NotTheOne

Again anyone with any legit disability that will be approved should embrace this as it weeds out more liars and cheats. Im not sure where the disconnect here is in conveying this message.
OK, so it weeds out liars and cheats, but liars and cheats aren't what caused the biggest part of the problem with DAS. So now you've weeded out the liars and cheats, and you're left with people who have proven they have a disability, but that doesn't mean they need a DAS, so they'll be offered alternate accommodations.

At this point, we're basically where we are now, but with an added layer of providing documentation. I don't see how it solves anything.

NotTheOne

I agree cheaters will cheat. So you really believe a Dr is going to write a fake diagnosis of say some child having autism where there is no proof of it etc for one of his/her patients for them to skip a line?!? Listen im from NY and am as skeptical as can be and far from naive but no way is your Dr doing that and risking his license. Im sorry.
So Disney has a valid doctor's note confirming an autism diagnosis...then what? Does everyone with that diagnosis get a DAS automatically?

jennab55

Diagnosis doesn’t matter right? So the Dr doesn’t need to write a diagnosis…. It really depends what the documentation is. Just a letter form a dr that someone needs an accommodation due to a medical issue, sure I think that would be quite easy to get. Anyone could say they have anxiety and probably get their dr to write something for them by explaining it would help them. Now I’m not sure many people would actually do that, but I also don’t think that many people were cheating the system in the first place either. So again, how much is it going to help if Disney keeps it to this same set of people?

Chi84

Premium Member
So Disney has a valid doctor's note confirming an autism diagnosis...then what? Does everyone with that diagnosis get a DAS automatically?
No, but it would confirm that an accommodation is being requested due to a disability. For example, if someone says all the right words on a call to trigger DAS but doesn't have a doctor's note it would matter. Disney is restricting DAS to people who are unable to stand in a conventional line "due to" a developmental disability such as autism.

The problem comes in with our disability law, which generally prevents businesses from asking the nature and extent of a disability. I don't think Disney is anxious to go down this route unless even this severely restricted DAS program doesn't work.

NotTheOne

No, but it would confirm that an accommodation is being requested due to a disability. For example, if someone says all the right words on a call to trigger DAS but doesn't have a doctor's note it would matter. Disney is restricting DAS to people who are unable to stand in a conventional line "due to" a developmental disability such as autism.

The problem comes in with our disability law, which generally prevents businesses from asking the nature and extent of a disability. I don't think Disney is anxious to go down this route unless even this severely restricted DAS program doesn't work.
Agree, but again, I don't think the biggest problem was cheaters. And if that's the case, then a note really does nothing of value, IMO.

Splash4eva

OK, so it weeds out liars and cheats, but liars and cheats aren't what caused the biggest part of the problem with DAS. So now you've weeded out the liars and cheats, and you're left with people who have proven they have a disability, but that doesn't mean they need a DAS, so they'll be offered alternate accommodations.

At this point, we're basically where we are now, but with an added layer of providing documentation. I don't see how it solves anything.
it gives Disney a better idea of maybe how to deal with those who 100% qualify and also how to deal with those who no longer qualify and how to proceed.

Chi84

Premium Member
How? It’s still based on need though, not diagnosis right?
It is but the need has to be due to a disability. If there’s no disability, need doesn’t come into play. At least according to Disney’s description of the program. The diagnosis doesn’t matter, but there has to be a disability.

Angel Ariel

Im a DAS user as well. In the beginning we would always bring documentation etc originally not knowing it was not needed for GAC days and even in the DAS days. All im saying is agreed there will always be cheaters but yet another layer to make it difficult helps. As far as privacy goes & not saying you but so many people post and dont care on social media and will ALL thee security breaches hate to break the news to everyone. Your info is most likely already out there…
My social media has my name attached. I'm aware of what I'm sharing and where it may go. This site does not have my name attached, and I don't want it to. We all have usernames for a reason.

Angel Ariel

Yes to all of this!!! It’s just such a hassle for both the parent or patient and the doctor. This is not a good use of either time. I COULD provide proof, but it’s a waste of time and for others it could be much more difficult or time consuming to get. What if someone wants to apply for DAS while in the park? Now what? They can’t because no way to get their dr to sign a form?
That, I believe, is a part of why the lawsuit was filed against six flags (if I'm remembering correctly) - that requiring the ibcces prevents people with disabilities from just walking up to the gate and deciding that day as anyone else can.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom