New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chi84

Premium Member
Why do you constantly and deliberately mischaracterizing operational aspects? You know it’s not a line skipping service. You know what those are and that the distinctions are important when discussing operations of the services provided.
We resolved this long ago. Everyone seems to understand that it’s not a wait-skipping service but it does let you skip standing in the physical line. Maybe you weren’t following then.

TrainsOfDisney

We resolved this long ago. Everyone seems to understand that it’s not a wait-skipping service but it does let you skip standing in the physical line. Maybe you weren’t following then.
To be fair, you announced this long ago but it’s not something that “we” agreed on.

DAS is not a line skip or a wait skip service - it’s an accommodation for disabled guests.

Chi84

Premium Member
To be fair, you announced this long ago but it’s not something that “we” agreed on.

DAS is not a line skip or a wait skip service - it’s an accommodation for disabled guests.
Of course it is. DAS is an accommodation for guests who cannot stand in a conventional line due to a developmental disability such as autism. It allows those guests to skip standing in a conventional line and use the LLs instead. Disney is very clear about this.

It would make for some very long posts to have to use all those words to describe a system when we all know what we’re talking about. But if you can’t attack anything else, go for the language.

lazyboy97o

Of course it is. DAS is an accommodation for guests who cannot stand in a conventional line due to a developmental disability such as autism. It allows those guests to skip standing in a conventional line and use the LLs instead. Disney is very clear about this.

It would make for some very long posts to have to use all those words to describe a system when we all know what we’re talking about. But if you can’t attack anything else, go for the language.
There’s a two word term that describes the system: virtual queue.

The language is being attacked because it is mischaracterizing the situation. You and others keep repeating “alterations to goods and services” while using a phrase that indicates a significantly greater amount of alteration. And it falls right in line with a lot of excuses for trying to avoid compliance with even well defined requirements.

lazyboy97o

The accommodation needed is to skip the line but then also need the same experience as the line, when not going in the line is the goal?
No, the accommodation is not to skip the line. That hasn’t been a standard offering for years and few have argued for it.

Different but also similar is a constant, rather basic feature of accommodations.

lazyboy97o

Disney goes way above and beyond the “absolute minimum required by law” including with the newest iteration of this system.
Not always. They know they have insufficient parking and accessible hotel rooms for their visitation but choose to stick with the minimums. For physical disabilities they largely now just do the minimum which is a big part of why they insist most anything physical can be solved with a wheelchair.

Club Cooloholic

No, the accommodation is not to skip the line. That hasn’t been a standard offering for years and few have argued for it.

Different but also similar is a constant, rather basic feature of accommodations.
Would free LL be a better term for it? Because that's how many abusers of it looked at it and you can't ignore that was happening.

Angel Ariel

There’s a difference between waiting in line and having to leave - and “cannot wait in line.” That’s what I was responding to.
And AQR has been recommended to people by the accessibility team of CMs for anyone who "can't" wait in line and does not qualify for DAS. There have been reports of CMs not requiring people to enter the line to use AQR. It's been discussed here as something for those, for ex, with heat intolerance, to use to stay out of sunny lines and then join their party once it's indoors (or shaded).

Chi84

Premium Member
And AQR has been recommended to people by the accessibility team of CMs for anyone who "can't" wait in line and does not qualify for DAS. There have been reports of CMs not requiring people to enter the line to use AQR. It's been discussed here as something for those, for ex, with heat intolerance, to use to stay out of sunny lines and then join their party once it's indoors (or shaded).
I haven’t seen those reports but I certainly have no problem with it if Disney doesn’t. Seems like they’re trying to provide a good guest experience.

Honestly, I’m not disabled but I am older, with a recent hip replacement and severe osteoarthritis in my spine. Also I’m on meds that increase heat sensitivity and make access to a bathroom necessary.

It’s good to know that AQR is being extended to all. Maybe that would be a way for me to add to ILLs. I think Disney is going over and above.

Chi84

Premium Member
There’s a two word term that describes the system: virtual queue.

The language is being attacked because it is mischaracterizing the situation. You and others keep repeating “alterations to goods and services” while using a phrase that indicates a significantly greater amount of alteration. And it falls right in line with a lot of excuses for trying to avoid compliance with even well defined requirements.
But no one else is using your terminology. On this site or others. It would only cause confusion.

Everyone understands what the problem is with abuse/overuse of DAS. The court in A.L. certainly did.

Angel Ariel

I haven’t seen those reports but I certainly have no problem with it if Disney doesn’t. Seems like they’re trying to provide a good guest experience.

Honestly, I’m not disabled but I am older, with a recent hip replacement and severe osteoarthritis in my spine. Also I’m on meds that increase heat sensitivity and make access to a bathroom necessary.

It’s good to know that AQR is being extended to all. Maybe that would be a way for me to add to ILLs. I think Disney is going over and above.
AQR has been published as something available to everyone, not specifically or only a disability accommodation.

Chi84

Premium Member
AQR has been published as something available to everyone, not specifically or only a disability accommodation.
That’s why I think it’s an improvement. We talked early on in this thread about how an aging population is resulting in more people who absolutely cannot endure a 90-minute line in Florida’s heat and humidity. This can potentially be used by people who are technically not disabled but cannot wait the entire length of the line.

Angel Ariel

That’s why I think it’s an improvement. We talked early on in this thread about how an aging population is resulting in more people who absolutely cannot endure a 90-minute line in Florida’s heat and humidity. This can potentially be used by people who are technically not disabled but cannot wait the entire length of the line.
Yes. And if they're a party of more than 2 and AQR is needed, regardless of disability status, the person who can't be in/stay in line should have the option to have 1 companion with them.

If they are a party of two (or solo) and one person has a disability and requires a caregiver, that's when the RTQ (the rare, going-to-be-audited, accommodation) should be used.

lazyboy97o

But no one else is using your terminology. On this site or others. It would only cause confusion.

Everyone understands what the problem is with abuse/overuse of DAS. The court in A.L. certainly did.
People don’t want to use the terminology because they want the mischaracterization.

A.L. was about an actual skip the line system. One that has not existed for years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom