New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ditzee

Nobody in the lightning lane needs to part. This is not a “cut to the front of the lightning lane system.” A person returning from an emergenncy will still need to wait in the LL.
I misunderstood and thought that if someone had to leave the line, once they returned, they would would walk through the LL to meet up with their group and not wait in the LL until they met up with their group at the merge point. Thank you for clarifying.

JAN J

It's trivial though. No one said you had to wait 30mins in line before you could leave (for Example). Literally under the system as described so far, get in line, then get back out. This is a flaw in the design. There basically needs to be a minimum commitment to qualify RTQ... otherwise they should just tell you to leave the queue and get back in line when you are ready.
Which is why I suggested that if a whole party leaves, they can issue an LRT (or maybe like you said, just get back in line). But if you have to use the restroom or change a diaper 10 mins into the line, and someone in your party is still in line, you go back to them later. RTQ wouldn't just let you take lightning lane unrestricted; it would presume you have a party to join. They can make it so you only move forward when everyone is together, otherwise they take your pass and send you back.
This is still an advantage to the people because it allows some people to leave the queue without any constraints.
You can already do that today
It's exactly what happens and while some see it as 'optimization' others see it as selfish or rude when a party tries to rejoin their 'advance scout' further up in the line
It's not about people's feelings, it's about equalizing the experience to all guests. People can react however they want.
And while it may not seem attractive right now... like I mentioned, this makes a perfect opportunity for line mules. Heck, you could even make a lentesla like operation out of it. Just have people in line all the time cycling through attractions ready to be merge rejoiners for others.

You tell your customer to get in line and get a RTQ pass... and then they are matched with someone in the queue already and they go through the LL and match up to their 'paired' mule.
if you're gonna do all that why not just buy G+? Heck with how much all of that would cost might as well hire a VIP Guest tour and get all those benefits.

If people want to game the system, they will. Rider Switch is open for all. and you can game it to spend less time in line. Full availability will not make matters worse. We each decide what to do. Someone that lives thinking of ways of abusing the system will not stop when the system changes. I am inclined to believe that a very small subset of guests will "make a lentesla like operation" just to spend less time in line.

The difference is that now they can't do that while in queue for other attractions.

Chi84

Premium Member
Many of the operational issues related to DAS are because it is a virtual queue system. Get rid of Genie+ and you eliminate a lot of those same operational issues at a larger scale.
So how does one get on rides, especially the newer ones, without Genie+?

DisneyHead123

A possible difference I see here is that DAS would hold a larger party would it not? This RTQ I would imagine would only be 2 people max at normal. The one that needs to leave the line, and a possible helper.
Yes, but I think more individuals might use the RTQ option, because it’s open to everyone. Also, it could be a more disruptive option, because it might involve normalizing the idea of people moving around and pushing past others in line. Even if they’re going backwards and not forwards - you have a lot of people in a cramped space. I think it is in everyone’s best interest if the norm is to stand still. I feel like you just don’t want a lot of movement when people are crammed shoulder to shoulder.

The larger concern I see is where are all these cast members supposed to be so that you can "find" them and quickly get out of the line when you have an urgent need. Last time I went to WDW, it wasn't like there was a cast member every few feet monitoring the line.
Yes, I have no idea how that’s supposed to work and assume it involves people pushing their way out of line. I just don’t see any other way in many of the lines.

TrojanUSC

This is someone's hope - and someone who is ignoring you just took a HUGE POPULATION and pulled the rug out from under them. This isn't some hidden gem people will have to discover... It's going to be iterated by Disney hundreds of times a day to people and also over every Disney website.

If there is an advantage to using it - people will.

I'm of the opinion that the slight majority of DAS users didn't actually need it (either because they have mobility issues that a wheelchair/scooter could accommodate, they had an illness that existing return to queue procedures would solve or they were just making up an excuse- let's be real nearly every influencer can't have IBS or anxiety, yet they all seem to).

So they are trying to accommodate legitimate disabilities, while also taking away the "benefits" of using DAS. Exiting via a bunch of switch backs only to have to return via LL a short while later, then trying to meet up with your party, doesn't have much "reward" to it - but it does provide a necessary solution if you need to leave the queue either due to anxiety or IBS or some other recurring issue flares up. Other options like rider swap also provide options short of DAS.

Joel

It's worse than the DAS population... because if it has any value besides simply 'I got to use the restroom and come back' it will be incentive for the population OUTSIDE of the DAS population to use it.
It's the exact same population of potential abusers, though. Just like with hypothetical AQR abuse, DAS prior to May 20 was available to anyone who claimed to need it. AQR will be abused far less because there's far less to gain, and it's going to be inconvenient even in the best of circumstances. AQR doesn't let you and your family of six skip every standby line plus get two prebooked FastPasses every day of your trip just by telling someone over video chat that you have "bathroom issues".

People have been rejoining their families in line for all sorts of reasons (some less legitimate than others) since the invention of the amusement park. The only ones who suddenly have an incentive to abuse AQR are former DAS users. Considering how many of them were taking advantage of that system unnecessarily, I suppose it might be something that Disney needs to be concerned about. Apparently they believe they can handle it, though.

I also think that to an extent Disney is calling the bluff of those who previously got DAS because they supposedly need immediate restroom access at all times. I'm guessing the percentage of people who got approved for that reason was far greater than the proportion of the general population with that serious of a gastrointestinal issue.

It's trivial though. No one said you had to wait 30mins in line before you could leave (for Example). Literally under the system as described so far, get in line, then get back out.
I welcome anyone to see how many times they can get away with that.

TrojanUSC

It's worse than the DAS population... because if it has any value besides simply 'I got to use the restroom and come back' it will be incentive for the population OUTSIDE of the DAS population to use it.

It's a self-defeating loop... If it's good, it will draw people in to use it... killing itself and making a mess of the queues. If it's bad, it doesn't solve the initial problem for those who needed it.

Tru - 'viral' has a new definition and spread rate compared to even 10 yrs ago.

You can only bring one person with you to use that service. That's it. I don't know why you keep speculating that it's going to become this overrun circus. If you're a family of 5, 3 of you must stay in line while two leave.

ConfettiCupcake

Theoretically a family could have dad wait in all the standby lines, and mom leaving with the kids because “bathroom emergency” each time they’re in a standby line. This gets the mom and kids maybe 30-60 minutes per ride depending on how much of the wait time is post merge to go do something with the kids sans dad in the park before they need to enter the LL again. So you have the family split, and no overall time saved unless the family is happy having dad miss out on every second attraction. Sure they can go eat, shop, etc., but again thats at the expense of dad. The winner here might be dad, depending on how he feels about family vacations lol.

There is very little incentive here to lie to game the system like with DAS even if you recruit a designated adult for waiting (which, we don’t know how easy it would be to have more than one adult plus children leave and return). You gain a little bit of line freedom for part of your party by spending more and more time apart the more time you “save”, and also investing more time by having to not only approach the attraction but actually make a show of queuing for a short amount of time. Unlike with DAS, the member(s) of your party who are doing the standby wait don’t get to participate in whatever you’re doing instead of waiting.

The real benefit is in not losing the spot in line and the wait already put in when someone in your party has to leave, which is exactly what it’s designed to do.

Patcheslee

Nobody in the lightning lane needs to part. This is not a “cut to the front of the lightning lane system.” A person returning from an emergenncy will still need to wait in the LL.
If someone leaves after the merge, they should have a way to return after it as well. Having to repeat the same wait would be ridiculous.

Sallie

I just can't imagine any world where Disney cast members are laughing at people or calling them liars. These calls are absolutely being monitored and reviewed by leaders, so it feels like the reality is people are being told no in a pretty firm way, with some clear guidelines that can perhaps come off as condescending when you've convinced yourself that skipping queues is the only viable option for you, then decide to embellish around it.
I think it’s more the people from whatever that health company is that’s the rude ones. But I’m sure that tensions are high right now with everyone.

Angel Ariel

You’re still not understanding how this system works. There is no mule. Everyone is waiting in line. Someone has an emergency they can leave and join LL to meet the remaining party. If 10 people traveling with one person all have emergencies that’s going to be really easy to spot.
There's nothing about AQR that requires an emergency though. They are recommending this as the accommodation, for ex, for autistic people who do not qualify for DAS. Say an autistic child is denied (it's happened in this new system). The caregivers aren't likely to wait until their child is in crisis before leaving a queue, especially if sensory issues are a trigger for their child. Some may try and see how far they can push it. Others will leave as soon as they can to not risk a crisis.

No family wants to experience their child in crisis at Disney world. Or really anywhere any time, let's be honest. They do whatever they can to prevent it. The idea people will wait until a crisis happens to use AQR defeats the purpose of AQR being used as a disability accommodation. It isn't just intended for those with bathroom needs.

lazyboy97o

So how does one get on rides, especially the newer ones, without Genie+?
The same way they did for decades?

Do you not see that you’re now doing exactly what you lament others doing? Now that it’s the virtual queue system you use to visit the parks you don’t see any way things could work without it.

Angel Ariel

Saw a decent amount DAS going in at 7:45…must have all been “sensory issues”
If reports are to be seen as having any validity at all, those with sensory issues ans part of their disability are being denied DAS and told just to get noise cancelling headphones and such.

(Can't speak for all, but that's something we already do and it isn't enough).

MintCity

No. People are speaking of a parent needing to leave the line to change a diaper (or take a child to use the washroom) and return, and how they can benefit from a more streamlined process for this too.
That would be huge. We get by now and don’t have issues returning to our party. Overall people are really nice about getting back to family.

ditzee

Saw a decent amount DAS going in at 7:45…must have all been “sensory issues”
The new DAS rules for the interviews went into effect on May 20th. Those who did the video chat before May 20th and were approved were grandfathered in with the old rules. We won't see changes at WDW until June 19th or 20th.

In California, the new video chat rules don't go into effect until, I believe June 20th, so not a lot of changes at DLR until July 20th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom