New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Drdcm

Number 1, it's a hypothetical question. Number 2, your response seems to have the aura of 'if that is how your disability works than stay home.'
I mean I’ll venture out and take the bait.

Yes, a hypothetical person who can’t remain in one place for more than 5min at a time probably can’t realistically manage a disneyworld vacation. If you are this person, I would be interested in how you’ve managed to do so.

Would I go so far as to say they aren’t welcome? No

ConfettiCupcake

Maybe I’m being too generous and optimistic, but while yes Disney is profit driven they aren’t monsters.

I have faith that they will have measures in place to deal with quirkier situations that just aren’t known to us, the public, yet. I do think that if a person who was originally denied can explain with evidence how AQR/RTQ were too large a barrier to handle they may revisit the topic of DAS. I do think that RTQ exists for the situations like 1 adult visiting alone or with children (or 2 adults where one needs to act as caregiver) who they would not ordinarily assign a full DAS to but will allow them to use RTQ due to the make up of their touring party.

I have faith that while not everyone’s first choice, Disney will be accommodating in some workable way once this gets properly rolling. Again, maybe too generous and optimistic, but I have a hard time believing they’re going to do a 180 on their reputation for being as accommodating as they reasonably can.

Vegas Disney Fan

Last stats I saw were 2022 where they said 50% of their guests purchased it.

This is why Genie is such a horrible product, a ride like Space Mountain has a capacity of about 22-25,000 riders a day, even without DAS they don’t have the capacity for 30,000 (half of their 60,000 daily guests) to use Genie, they’re selling a product to their guests knowing it won’t give about 1/2 of them access to the rides they are paying extra for.

Not getting a FP was frustrating, not getting to ride the rides you paid extra for is an outright scam.

flynnibus

Premium Member
3 - RTQ also cannot be triggered remotely, you have to get to the line to get it. Will also curb some abuse.
It's trivial though. No one said you had to wait 30mins in line before you could leave (for Example). Literally under the system as described so far, get in line, then get back out. This is a flaw in the design. There basically needs to be a minimum commitment to qualify RTQ... otherwise they should just tell you to leave the queue and get back in line when you are ready.

3a - I presume there will be a difference between single riders and parties. If a single rider or complete party exits, they could i.e. treat it as an LRT, and give you a return time for LL. If just one or some of members leave, they get an RTQ, but they can only move past the convergence points AFTER the people in line get there. And if they do that before their RTQ members, then they wait for the RTQ members to return.
This is still an advantage to the people because it allows some people to leave the queue without any constraints.

4a - Now, regarding how you separate your party on your vacation to go is entirely up to you (not you spefically, vacationers). Waiting in line while your SO(s)/family/friends get an ice cream, bathroom break, or quick shopping before joining you is one othing. But if they want to go ahead and enjoy their day WITHOUT you, also the party's prerogative. I wouldn't leave my DW in a long line alone so I can enjoy the park with the kids, and neither would she towards me.
It's exactly what happens and while some see it as 'optimization' others see it as selfish or rude when a party tries to rejoin their 'advance scout' further up in the line. My point was to illustrate there are existing scenarios where their model will be advantagous to those kinds of people so they will be incentivized to use it. So again, increasing the size of the population using the system... a system people are already saying will work because only a few people will use it. That's the problem... it's own success is will what makes it unsustainable.

And while it may not seem attractive right now... like I mentioned, this makes a perfect opportunity for line mules. Heck, you could even make a lentesla like operation out of it. Just have people in line all the time cycling through attractions ready to be merge rejoiners for others.

You tell your customer to get in line and get a RTQ pass... and then they are matched with someone in the queue already and they go through the LL and match up to their 'paired' mule.

Disney has no way to know who you left as your party in the line because you didn't see the CM when you left. They would have to resort to something like linked parties in MDE and scan at merge point to defeat such systems.

Vclguy90

No I'm literally asking how even DAS would help someone who needs to leave to tend to something every 5 minutes, because this feels like a gotcha question and not a legitimate worry someone who has successfully visited Disney parks with DAS would have.

Many LL returns have an upwards of 5 minute wait before boarding even if there is no wait before the merge point (and there often is).
Not a gotcha question but moreso inquiring what happens if a person needs to leave multiple times?

phillip9698

I mean I’ll venture out and take the bait.

Yes, a hypothetical person who can’t remain in one place for more than 5min at a time probably can’t realistically manage a disneyworld vacation. If you are this person, I would be interested in how you’ve managed to do so.

Would I go so far as to say they aren’t welcome? No

I've had that same question. I also would like to know how a person who can't stand being in confined spaces, with strangers, in the dark, and having loud noises and lights flash could possibly enjoy Disney World. It sounds like they are being taken to the worst place on earth for them.

Last edited:

pigglewiggle

Not a gotcha question but moreso inquiring what happens if a person needs to leave multiple times?

I'm the wrong person to answer, but I'm going to anyways.

If you leave line and use new system that allows to meet up at the merge point - is the merge point where LL and stand-by come into one? Why would you need to leave multiple times at that point? You are at the ride, at least just about. How would that be any different from DAS?

ConfettiCupcake

I'm the wrong person to answer, but I'm going to anyways.

If you leave line and use new system that allows to meet up at the merge point - is the merge point where LL and stand-by come into one? Why would you need to leave multiple times at that point? You are at the ride, at least just about. How would that be any different from DAS?

Exactly that. The second and subsequent exits would be theoretically be happening if that person had DAS too.

It keeps getting lost that the LL waits themselves can sometimes be prohibitively long to those with DAS as well. This will hopefully help that too.

Fido Chuckwagon

Yes, the way are some are acting like people in the LL will part like the Red Sea. More often than not, others in line won't have a problem allowing people to rejoin their groups but there will be those who won't allow them through or who have a meltdown over this.
Nobody in the lightning lane needs to part. This is not a “cut to the front of the lightning lane system.” A person returning from an emergenncy will still need to wait in the LL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom