New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

DisneyHead123

If you treat people kindly, professional, and courteous it’s very hard to look like a villain.
Agree but the whole online thing is a case of the punishment not fitting the 'crime'. CMs are often young, often in a position where they are dealing with angry people all day - if they have a slip up where they snap at someone or cut them off that's rude of course, but being posted publicly could haunt them for life.

If someone is being an absolute monster that's different of course - but for your regular stressed out low paid employee, I feel like the video situation puts them in a precarious position (I've heard of those types of situations coming up in the workplace so we were warned about Zoom calls not too long ago).

Chi84

Premium Member
Agree but the whole online thing is a case of the punishment not fitting the 'crime'. CMs are often young, often in a position where they are dealing with angry people all day - if they have a slip up where they snap at someone or cut them off that's rude of course, but being posted publicly could haunt them for life.

If someone is being an absolute monster that's different of course - but for your regular stressed out low paid employee, I feel like the video situation puts them in a precarious position (I've heard of those types of situations coming up in the workplace so we were warned about Zoom calls not too long ago).
Is Disney allowing these interviews to be recorded?

ditzee

Is inspire health doing the interviews? I thought it was CM’s trained by inspire health?

So maybe thats enough legally for Disney to say “we were just following training from alliance” - if anything happens?
Aren't they supposed to be the final arbiter in making decisions if there's a question about qualification?

ditzee

What legal issues? It's not like they are saying "since you don't qualify for DAS, you're just like everyone else". They are offering alternatives.

I understand it's frustrating and upsetting dealing with the unknowns of how those alternatives will work. At the same time many seem to quick to dismiss those options and continue to come up with hypotheticals for why they won't.
The problem comes in when the reasonable accommodations will not work for a particular disability.

ditzee

Reasonableness is not determined by perfection. Disney is not an insurer of its disability accommodations.
No joke but reasonable for 1 disability is not reasonable for another. It's not about perfection.
Disney doesn't have to be the insurer. Guests canceling trips or not scheduling them in the first place might ensure that Disney takes another look at their new policy. As has been pointed out it's the DAS holder plus their group that is taking up the majority of the LL. So, if the DAS holder and their group no longer got to WDW, the LL line may be shorter but Disney will lose hotel reservations, tickets, food, in park purchases, etc. Maybe Disney won't give a flip.
Thing is the company is getting a black eye in the disabled community which comprises 42.5 million just in the US. If someone who was denied gets hurt in a park, the media will be all over it. NDA might be part of the deal but videos, and you know there will be videos, will make the rounds.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

Last trip we spent 3 park days with family who included us on their DAS. We bought G+ on some days without them and wanted to buy it for us all on those shared park days. They asked us not to because it overcomplicated everything. That seemed odd to me but made sense after experiencing 3 park days of each: standby, Genie+ and DAS.

Had you done so you would have basically had basically a golden ticket, as the system basically allows you to stack DAS and G+. Allowing you to basically walk from ride to ride.

Theoretically this is fair because G+ is designed so you enjoy standby lines while you wait for your next G+ time. While DAS replaces standby lines, but it was often being abused by superusers who had DAS for minor issues.

Fido Chuckwagon

@Sirwalterraleigh parks are empty, boy I would have expected lower wait times.
Na'vi River Journey 115 minutes!!!! That is NUTS,
Low attendance but high wait times!!!
Lol, those rides being the only ones with wait times over an hour across WDW indicate a very low wait time environment and you know that. Navi being at 115 clearly indicates something is or was going on with that particular ride. Or do you think it is normal for Navi to be 35 minutes longer than FOP?

UNCgolf

Lol, those rides being the only ones with wait times over an hour across WDW indicate a very low wait time environment and you know that. Navi being at 115 clearly indicates something is or was going on with that particular ride. Or do you think it is normal for Navi to be 35 minutes longer than FOP?

35 minutes, no, but I've actually seen NRJ with similar wait times to FoP (and sometimes a bit longer) pretty often recently.

TrainsOfDisney

Or do you think it is normal for Navi to be 35 minutes longer than FOP?
It does get really long waits - it’s one of the only family rides in the park (Safari, triceratops spin and the train being the only other non-height restricted rides).

As much as I love Joe and team… they needed to have the typical pirate / small world style boats for this attraction and up the capacity.

Chi84

Premium Member
I take everything posted online with a grain of salt. That said, It is now Friday and I'm willing to bet the CM's doing these video calls have been subjected to a ton of really awful abuse. I mean, just based on posters in this thread alone who have advocated and justified abusing CM's in relation to this, I'm sure there's been a lot. I could see CM's starting to grind under that pressure, but I am also sure it is being exaggerated by those who are angry that they got denied.
Emotions will always run high for those involved.

On balance, though, people understand the need for Disney to fix what's going on at the parks (for example, the numbers cited by Len). I believe Genie+ is a terrible product, but no fix will be forthcoming until they address overuse of DAS. That is simply being realistic and it's why Disney is severely limiting DAS and offering other accommodations instead of simply asking for documentation.

Those accommodations are not going to work for everyone - Disney likely expects some to cancel and others to buy Genie+/ILLs. Right now everything is in the early stages, so there really is no predicting how things will ultimately turn out.

Fido Chuckwagon

It does get really long waits - it’s one of the only family rides in the park (Safari, triceratops spin and the train being the only other non-height restricted rides).

As much as I love Joe and team… they needed to have the typical pirate / small world style boats for this attraction and up the capacity.
Wait time for it is already listed as being back down to 60 minutes, with FOP down to 70. There was clearly something going on with the ride that has been resolved.

Disstevefan1

What is totally awful is that we are calling these wait times "very low" WOW!!!!!
Disney has really conditioned folks to accept this???

ConfettiCupcake

What is totally awful is that we are calling these wait times "very low" WOW!!!!!
Disney has really conditioned folks to accept this???

I mean yeah, they kind of have lol. Probably has a lot to do with the way there is a bit of a lack of sympathy for the sudden realization that people who are capable of doing so are now faced with a lot more waiting on their vacation. Real waiting, not multitasking waiting. The choices have been pay (some sort of after hour event or G+/ ILL), learn very strategic and time sensitive touring, or wait in hour+ lines for a while.

Disstevefan1

I mean yeah, they kind of have lol. Probably has a lot to do with the way there is a bit of a lack of sympathy for the sudden realization that people who are capable of doing so are now faced with a lot more waiting on their vacation. Real waiting, not multitasking waiting. The choices have been pay (some sort of after hour event or G+/ ILL), learn very strategic and time sensitive touring, or wait in hour+ lines for a while.
No, no, no, this has nothing to do with capability, its calling these "very low" wait times.
I am able bodied. A "very low" wait time for for the Mine train is 20 min. At 35 maybe 40 mins I will jump in line.
At 65 at best I am "on the fence" and longer than 65 I am walking by.

phillip9698

Oh I was pleasant as can be and very respectful. As soon as I started asking questions about why he wasn't eligible that's when she ended the call.

They have most likely been trained not to answer specific questions. While you see it as just wanting clarification, there are others who are probing to figure out exactly what to say to get DAS approved. Once that code is cracked they are back to square one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom