New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Jrb1979

That’s what I thought they were doing - I’m really surprised as well. Especially when it could possibly open them up to legal issues.
What legal issues? It's not like they are saying "since you don't qualify for DAS, you're just like everyone else". They are offering alternatives.

I understand it's frustrating and upsetting dealing with the unknowns of how those alternatives will work. At the same time many seem to quick to dismiss those options and continue to come up with hypotheticals for why they won't.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
In my opinion it’s unfair that she would be excluded because she doesn’t have autism as the reports I’ve seen seem to be saying but also if that’s the way Disney wants to go then so be it as it’s their business.
There are people with autism being denied DAS as well. WDW is trying to open new alternatives to address different common issues, and leave DAS for a very specific set of needs. I think they used autism as an example because that’s expected to be a significant number of who is meeting the new criteria. It is not diagnosis alone. That’s why some people without developmental disabilities have still been granted DAS and some with autism were not.

I don’t know how this will all play out. If the goal is to reduce the overall impact, that could also loosen things up so alternative accommodations can function better. I think that’s part of the plan. Maybe your request is granted. Maybe the parks starts flowing better which improves the potential for alternative assistance, standby, and G+.

Last trip we spent 3 park days with family who included us on their DAS. We bought G+ on some days without them and wanted to buy it for us all on those shared park days. They asked us not to because it overcomplicated everything. That seemed odd to me but made sense after experiencing 3 park days of each: standby, Genie+ and DAS.

Realistically standby and DAS should be averaging around the same amount of park experience, and Genie+ getting a little extra or shaving off some time. It was eye-opening to see DAS in action. I totally get where it is necessary for some families to even make a trip possible or how some parties struggle... but Standby and Genie+ don’t come close DAS’s potential in elevating park experience. I was not expecting it to make such a big difference. Between rides, meals and exploring, it took almost half the time it normally takes my immediate family to do the same. Not the case for everyone. How far from typical though? The more DAS was used, the more need it caused, the more difference it made, etc. Rolling snowball effect. Is that what they’re trying to dial back.

Not sure what my extended family will decide if they not longer qualify for DAS. They generally do short park days regardless, so I’m thinking they might still go? I don’t know. They weren’t doing ropedrop or buying G+/ILL. There’s room for a new strategy, especially if alternative assistance can fill what gaps remain. I’m interested to hear his take on this. Besides using DAS, he works with disabled in NYC.

Last edited:

Touchdown

Could I point out something else, it’s 12:30pm on a Friday of a holiday weekend. Here’s a list of all waits over an hour (add Everest at 65 min too):
IMG_4501.jpeg

This is dramatically improved from normal.

Disstevefan1

since you don't qualify for DAS, you're just like everyone else". They are offering alternatives.
Buy Genie+ and ILL before they sell out!

But don’t worry, if they sell out you can always wander around the park and buy some food and merch.

That’s what Iger prefers you do with your time in the park anyway.

It’s spending per capita that is important to Iger.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Could I point out something else, it’s 12:30pm on a Friday of a holiday weekend. Here’s a list of all waits over an hour (add Everest at 65 min too):View attachment 787343
This is dramatically improved from normal.
@Sirwalterraleigh parks are empty, boy I would have expected lower wait times.
Na'vi River Journey 115 minutes!!!! That is NUTS,
Low attendance but high wait times!!!

JD80

I have yet to see a single person say that the return to line plan might work for their family. It’s kind of curious because it’s the obvious choice for the majority of people who can cognitively manage the wait but have physical limitations.

Probably because people usually don't go on to the internet to mention when something works just fine and isn't exactly an exciting thing to talk about.

DisneyHead123

I don’t envy the job of these CMs, hopefully they are getting hazard pay because Disney set them up to deal with disappointed, frustrated, sad, etc guests all day long.

You couldn’t pay me enough to crush the dreams of loyal fans all day long.
Yeah the video call dynamic makes me a little nervous for them too. In contentious situations things often end up getting posted online. Not sure if there’s any way around that other than having it be voice-only on the CMs side, but I think Disney should make sure they’re protecting CMs from ending up as a viral villain on Instagram.

Touchdown

These are supposed to be considered low wait times in a less than busy time in the parks???
I guess Disney is right to be confident and not to worry about EPIC.
I’m used to seeing wait times for all the major DHS rides over 60 min at 12:30, not sure what’s going on at AK today but look what’s not on this list, ToT, BTMRR, Space, FEA, Test Track. Thats a pretty nice day if those rides are less then 60 min.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom