New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

pigglewiggle

We’d still have additional expense because personally I don’t see the point of coming from the UK to the US just for a week so we would just end up spending else where.

I think we will just cancel and maybe holiday in Europe by a pool instead.

I did suggest via email that they should let people apply for DAS at time of booking especially since people booked trips before the DAS change was implemented.

Thinking on it, if you are there for two weeks, one week of Genie + should be enough. You can then have rest/pool days in between park days, days at the park where you just relax, eat, etc., also some lines will be short as crowd reports have been very low. I would just think about it if you really will be sad not to go.

Matthew

I don’t want to seem bitter… obviously Disney are entitled to run their systems and programs as they wish.

I think the system was getting abused but I don’t think they thought this through clearly.

If my wife has a flare up of one her conditions while in a queue then there is no way I would be able to leave her to remain in line, myself and our little one would have to go as well.

Also we work our socks off for 48 weeks a year… we come on holiday to spend time as a family… two of us standing in lines while my wife waits outside to come and join us later defeats the object of that in my opinion

Matthew

Thinking on it, if you are there for two weeks, one week of Genie + should be enough. You can then have rest/pool days in between park days, days at the park where you just relax, eat, etc., also some lines will be short as crowd reports have been very low. I would just think about it if you really will be sad not to go.

I’d still cancel though, I wouldn’t pay a Disney hotel premium if I was going to be spending half my time at the hotel… I’d probably spend the money on a nicer hotel in that case (we can usually only afford the value resorts). I will be sad but it’s not the end of the world, I’d just rather know where we stand so we don’t shell out thousands for a trip to be told 30 days before.

Matthew

I‘m not understanding how it is discriminatory for WDW to have different accommodations for different needs, and not just give every issue the same remedy. What purpose was DAS supposed to serve. Maybe we’re not all on the same page as to that answer.
I think from my perspective and we haven’t had a video chat yet but the reports (granted almost all that are posted about are negative) are indicating that if you don’t fit into that category then they don’t care about your needs… again that’s only from admittedly negative reports I’ve seen.

My wife doesn’t have autism however she has several conditions sadly that have varying needs that wouldn’t be suited by the other options available, one thing she experiences is a huge sensory overload in enclosed spaces and that’s exasperated by crowds of people (we never attend sports or music concerts for this reason) and when she flares up or has an attack it flares up other conditions into a vicious cycle that would make our trip a waste of time and money.

In my opinion it’s unfair that she would be excluded because she doesn’t have autism as the reports I’ve seen seem to be saying but also if that’s the way Disney wants to go then so be it as it’s their business.

Fido Chuckwagon

At best you get about 2-3 rides
I think most people who don’t have DAS are getting 2-3 rides plus attractions and shows that don’t have waits. I know I’m certainly not getting more than 2-4 attractions with waits plus shows and experiences that don’t have waits in a single day. (You can do more than that in MK though as there are lots of attractions with LL there). It might be time to readjust your expectations. DAS has given its users unrealistic expectations about what they can get out of a park day.

You also don’t need to spend the whole day in the parks to pull this off. Stacking rides for the afternoon/evening is a viable strategy.

Fido Chuckwagon

No opposition to purchasing Genie+ and we did when it was available for advance purchase however for a two week trip for three people that’s a big additional expense on an already expensive trip.
Sure but it’s an expense that everyone else has to pay too. The majority of park goers are purchasing Genie+. It’s baked into the cost of a trip at this point.

DAS has let its users get away with enjoying the parks at a price artificially lower than most are paying to have an enjoyable experience. I certainly understand that it’s upsetting that you can no longer get that experience at that price point but it is what it is.

ConfettiCupcake

Disney has put every single one of us in a position to re-evaluate the value of our trips, with the unbundling of services such as FastPass and Magical Express, with across the board price increases, with challenges to ride new attractions (get a boarding group or pay up), with increased wait times and crowded feel, etc.

It’s hard to say in a way that doesn’t sound completely condescending that this is a value judgment a lot of us have had to look longer and harder at more recently, especially Genie+ years. Maybe DAS has helped to shield people from the increased park day costs and crowd portion a little bit. Yeah it does really suck to have to add on the costs of Genie+ and ILL to an already more expensive trip to allow for what you consider a good and worth it trip. That’s what they’ve done to the parks period.

Disstevefan1

We’d still have additional expense because personally I don’t see the point of coming from the UK to the US just for a week so we would just end up spending else where.

I think we will just cancel and maybe holiday in Europe by a pool instead.

I did suggest via email that they should let people apply for DAS at time of booking especially since people booked trips before the DAS change was implemented.
You bring up a good point. You are booking a trip having no idea if you will qualify for DAS.

They should allow online interviews on line not associated with bookings or trips, the result of your interview (qualify or not) will allow folks to make educated decisions when booking their trips.

Now folks are cancelling on the speculation they will not qualify. BAD SHOW DISNEY!

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, I think Universal uses a completely separate party, if you qualify you get a card then use that card at their parks that card indicates you can use their DAS system in the parks. The point is you get interviewed and get this card (or not) then you can make an educated decision on your vacation plans.

Communicora

Premium Member
You bring up a good point. You are booking a trip having no idea if you will qualify for DAS.

They should allow online interviews on line not associated with bookings or trips, the result of your interview (qualify or not) will allow folks to make educated decisions when booking their trips.

Now folks are cancelling on the speculation they will not qualify. BAD SHOW DISNEY!

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, I think Universal uses a completely separate party, if you qualify you get a card then use that card at their parks that card indicates you can use their DAS system in the parks. The point is you get interviewed and get this card (or not) then you can make an educated decision on your vacation plans.
If you get the card, Universal can still decide if/how you will be accomodated.

A poster from another site canceled their Disney trip after not qualifying and Disney waived all fees.

mysto

I agree, you need to know if DAS is available before you buy your plane tickets. Some things can be cancelled but for someone who is flying there is a big expense that's for the most part "sunk".

OTOH this was true before the current changes, it just seemed easier to get DAS.

Disstevefan1

I agree, you need to know if DAS is available before you buy your plane tickets. Some things can be cancelled but for someone who is flying there is a big expense that's for the most part "sunk".

OTOH this was true before the current changes, it just seemed easier to get DAS.
True, but we are seeing families who previously qualified and before the system was changed knew they qualified the previous trip and knew they would qualify again.

The new system is a total unknown. Folks cant make educated decisions based on unknowns.

JMcMahonEsq

I‘m not understanding how it is discriminatory for WDW to have different accommodations for different needs, and not just give every issue the same remedy. What purpose was DAS supposed to serve. Maybe we’re not all on the same page as to that answer.
From a legal perspective looking at providing reasonable accommodations for disability, the entire purpose/program is built around providing different accommodations for different needs. From a holistic/program level the ADA and reasonable accommodations is not about making everyone happy, or even totally comfortable. Its about allowing them to be able to have as close to the same experience/opportunities as anyone who did not have the particularly disability.

Disabilities come in many different forms, heat/light sensitivity, mobility issues, stress factors, ect. It makes total sense to try and tailor an accommodation to fit the need, not just a one size fits all approach.

Jay290

My understanding is that people can use DAS for pretty much any ride as many times as they want. And they know when their return time will be. It’s supposed to be a substitute for the physical line so just like you can use any physical line that is open, DAS users can use DAS for any line that is open.

I’ve used Genie+ and I think it’s a terrible product. Unless you stay at the parks until closing time (not possible for my little guy as he would be too tired), most ride availability is gone by around 11:00 am (again, unless you want an 8 pm return time). You can only go on rides once. At best you get about 2-3 rides with unpredictable return times.
The Genie+ is a system that need a major overhaul unless they really feel that changing the DAS system will dramatically improve availability of rides. IMO right now there are only two ways to make it work. One is to book one of the big rides at 7AM and base your day around that return time in the morning. You would need to rope drop the park, hit one of the other big rides and then hope that a 3rd is available at the 10AM booking window. For Epcot, where Genie+ has limited availability it would basically be booking Frozen at 7AM, rope dropping Remy, getting Test Track with the 10AM booking and then going from there filling in the gaps with shows and rides like Nemo.

The other way is stacking for a later day. That doesnt work great with dining reservations but with that you are booking every two hours and just moving the rides to late in the day so you can hopefully just run through the park. Once your rides begin. That usually means booking something at 7AM and then modifying it once the times change to 3PM or later. Then at 10 book a ride thats open later, then book another at 12, and another at 2 if available.

None of these are great options and it requires being on the phone a lot during the day but they do work for getting better use out of the Genie+. The problem is most park goers are going once a year or once every two years and dont know how to use it and get shut out by those who go all the time. Disney just markets this as a skip the line product and in the small print basically says its not a guarantee for availability. You wind up getting to the park at 9 AM and next thing you know nothing is available until 2PM unless you want to use it on a ride with a 10 minute standby line. For what they charge Disney either has to make the system work better to offer more availability for every user or have a system that can auto book a day and auto alert you to available modifications of some sort based on priorities you put in there.

Disstevefan1

Wait so is the system totally flawed as you say here. Or is it totally unknown meaning no one can make a determination that it is flawed or not, like you posted 10min after you posted this?
Good point - Thanks.
The new system is flawed, folks with legitimate limitations who used to qualify now do not.
The new system is a unknown in that folks who previously qualified do not know if they will now.
So yes you are correct, its both flawed and a unknown.

DisneyHead123

I think most people who don’t have DAS are getting 2-3 rides plus attractions and shows that don’t have waits. I know I’m certainly not getting more than 2-4 attractions with waits plus shows and experiences that don’t have waits in a single day. (You can do more than that in MK though as there are lots of attractions with LL there). It might be time to readjust your expectations. DAS has given its users unrealistic expectations about what they can get out of a park day.

You also don’t need to spend the whole day in the parks to pull this off. Stacking rides for the afternoon/evening is a viable strategy.
I've never used DAS so I can't speak to a DAS users expectations. I'm sure it varies tremendously from person to person based on medical needs though. If a person qualifies for DAS, that means they have medical or developmental needs to worry about and that is most likely going to play the biggest part in how the day goes. The whole "is it going to be a good day or a bad day or a bit of both let's hold our breath and wait to find out" dynamic. (If that's not the case - like ever, not just good days - then they probably shouldn't qualify for DAS.)

For me personally, yeah, I did adjust my expectations after Genie+ came out, that's exactly why I said it's a crap product. (To be fair, I'm generally at Disney during busy weeks, but there are lots and lots of busy weeks at Disney at this point, it's not like there are just 2 or 3 weeks a year you have to avoid.) I'm not under any illusion that if only I was a better Genie+ user I could ride whatever I wanted - trust me, I am very much on board with the idea that it's the fault of Genie+. I think my expectations are quite realistic there.

JAN J

I am thinking about this.

You do not need to "qualify" for RTQ, so anyone can use it.
So I enter any standby, wait a few minutes.
5 minutes later I tell CM I need RTQ
BOOM - I get a sweet return time, no waiting needed.

Is this the new cheat code?
It's not all attractions, and the CM often asks if the person that needs the RTQ needs help transferring to the ride vehicle.
You'll still be waiting, just not in line.
But yes, you can game it if you try.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom