New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chip Chipperson

People will learn that people waiting at merge didn’t actually wait in the standby. Jerks would then make comments about the person waiting faking or being too cheap/poor to buy Lightning Lane access.

And again, worse did happen in full view of Cast Members. There was heckling and altercations from both queues. This isn’t something unique to Disney either.
If people learn that they didn't wait in Standby then they will also know that they are waiting for a group that IS waiting in Standby. Otherwise, they would think, "Why are those G+ users waiting there?" Also, they'll see the obvious fact that they aren't cutting in front of them. Common sense says nobody cuts a line and then stops and waits for no reason. If they know they used the Return to Line option then they know about the Return to Line option. If they don't know about it then they have no reason to assume anything bad. If I'm backing g out of my driveway and my neighbor is driving g down the street and stops to let me out, I don't think, "What does that jerk think he's doing letting me go first?" You're stretching if you're trying to make this the negative scenario for this accommodation.

Chip Chipperson

Your party will be joining you at some point and at that point they’ll be ”cutting” in front of the person standing behind you, if they limit that to 2 people I don’t see it being an issue but if 1 person is standing in line and 4 or 5 join them at the merge point it’s going to cause issues.

This isn’t that dissimilar to what happens now, if 1 person jumps out of line to use the restroom and then catches up to their group no one really cares, when a group of 3-4 are pushing their way through a line to catch up to their 1 friend in line it feels like cutting.

Until we know how Disney is going to handle the merge I don’t think any of us know how others in line will react.
At some point in a line, people in the LL line e are made to wait for some Standby guests. And in this scenario, the party using the Return to Line option will have moved on when they meet up. They'd also see the other members of the party standing around waiting whe others pass.

lazyboy97o

If people learn that they didn't wait in Standby then they will also know that they are waiting for a group that IS waiting in Standby. Otherwise, they would think, "Why are those G+ users waiting there?" Also, they'll see the obvious fact that they aren't cutting in front of them. Common sense says nobody cuts a line and then stops and waits for no reason. If they know they used the Return to Line option then they know about the Return to Line option. If they don't know about it then they have no reason to assume anything bad. If I'm backing g out of my driveway and my neighbor is driving g down the street and stops to let me out, I don't think, "What does that jerk think he's doing letting me go first?" You're stretching if you're trying to make this the negative scenario for this accommodation.
The type of people who berate other people in a queue are not rational actors using common sense.

ditzee

My guess is the concerns about merge point drama are largely overblown. Merging at the merge point is a “legal” move. People are used to it and generally don’t question how somebody ended up in the LL. It is not comparable to excusing your way up the standby.
We'll find out soon. WDW's in park new rules go into effect on either Jun 19th or 20th.

Chip Chipperson

The type of people who berate other people in a queue are not rational actors using common sense.
So the system stinks because a fraction of a percent of guests MIGHT get irrationally angry at being allowed to pass someone in line? By that logic, having a queue at all is a bad system because someone might take offense at how fast someone else walked to get in line before them.

maemae74

How did the old DAS system work for virtual que rides like Guardians/Tron? I have never waited less than an hour after I have returned to get on.

Matthew

Having read a lot of the reports it seems unlikely my wife would be approved, as a result we’re likely going to cancel our next trip as there’s simply no way she could manage two weeks without DAS and we can’t take the chance of spending thousands on a trip that she’ll end up not enjoying.

It makes us sad but thankfully we got several wonderful Disney trips together in and managed to take our little boy twice as well.

MintCity

That breaks my heart. Cancelling trips that mean so much. Can I ask what’s the opposition to buying Genie +? It’s a different system but you get the lightening lane access. I’m coming from the frame of reference of never using DAS but using Genie+ when needed.

pigglewiggle

One person out of a group occasionally using this is nothing like groups of 6+ routinely using the lightning lane together.

People want to be with their groups. It’s hard to imagine return to queue being a huge deal.

I think I have it all confused. I thought people were using the get a time to return to line thing, which I thought was offered for those who didn't qualify for DAS.

I guess we are just talking about people who leave the line and then walk back through the line to reach party?

Fido Chuckwagon

I think I have it all confused. I thought people were using the get a time to return to line thing, which I thought was offered for those who didn't qualify for DAS.

I guess we are just talking about people who leave the line and then walk back through the line to reach party?
No, the report isn’t that they are going to “walk back through the line to reach their party.” The report is that they will be given access to the lightning lane so that they can meet their party at the merge.

ConfettiCupcake

Return to queue (line?) is supposedly what Disney is calling what is seemingly DAS 1.0. That is limited as to who can utilize it. The word return in there makes it easier to confuse with the “bathroom pass” accommodation.

AQR (attraction queue return) is the one everyone can use and it’s just leaving a line you’re already in and returning via LL to meet up with your party who stayed in line. No time assigned, just go do what you need to do and come back to join back up.

maemae74

Having read a lot of the reports it seems unlikely my wife would be approved, as a result we’re likely going to cancel our next trip as there’s simply no way she could manage two weeks without DAS and we can’t take the chance of spending thousands on a trip that she’ll end up not enjoying.

It makes us sad but thankfully we got several wonderful Disney trips together in and managed to take our little boy twice as well.
Could she maybe do a week? That way the money you save you could buy G+

DisneyHead123

That breaks my heart. Cancelling trips that mean so much. Can I ask what’s the opposition to buying Genie +? It’s a different system but you get the lightening lane access. I’m coming from the frame of reference of never using DAS but using Genie+ when needed.
My understanding is that people can use DAS for pretty much any ride as many times as they want. And they know when their return time will be. It’s supposed to be a substitute for the physical line so just like you can use any physical line that is open, DAS users can use DAS for any line that is open.

I’ve used Genie+ and I think it’s a terrible product. Unless you stay at the parks until closing time (not possible for my little guy as he would be too tired), most ride availability is gone by around 11:00 am (again, unless you want an 8 pm return time). You can only go on rides once. At best you get about 2-3 rides with unpredictable return times.

Matthew

No opposition to purchasing Genie+ and we did when it was available for advance purchase however for a two week trip for three people that’s a big additional expense on an already expensive trip.

Matthew

Could she maybe do a week? That way the money you save you could buy G+

We’d still have additional expense because personally I don’t see the point of coming from the UK to the US just for a week so we would just end up spending else where.

I think we will just cancel and maybe holiday in Europe by a pool instead.

I did suggest via email that they should let people apply for DAS at time of booking especially since people booked trips before the DAS change was implemented.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom