New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

pigglewiggle

It seems to many, the only 'reasonable' accommodation is not having to stand in any line at all.

It does make it harder to be sympathetic when every other suggestion is shot down. Yes, of course DAS is the only answer for some. But others seem to have a lot of excuses of why they can't leave the line and join the party when it's time or other offerings.

Figgy1

Just cancelled our trip and they waived the fee. So with that our days of visiting Disney have come to an end.
Monsters Inc Hug GIF

Chip Chipperson

Just cancelled our trip and they waived the fee. So with that our days of visiting Disney have come to an end.
I'm sorry to hear that, but glad you got your money back. Hopefully the CM you dealt with will get better training since your case seems - based on what you said - like the exact type of situation the changes were meant to continue providing DAS for.

Kristamouse

My child was just approved, and we were allowed to have a group that exceeded the four-person limit, due to the group being limited to the recipient, his parents, and his siblings (who are all young children).

The process was very easy, we were not asked followup questions. The CM was helpful, kind, and clearly having a hard day. I was able to clearly articulate what the child's needs are, and he was on camera which made it very clear that what I was saying about his capabilities and disabilities was accurate.
Thank you for this, we are calling today. I have two of our 6 kids that previously applied. I have our stacks of paper work from our Docs ready with the specifics. They are both so anxious about the call, they hate when they have to talk about this and feel a lot of shame from past experiences explaining to people (in all life aspects).

Disstevefan1

My child was just approved, and we were allowed to have a group that exceeded the four-person limit, due to the group being limited to the recipient, his parents, and his siblings (who are all young children).

The process was very easy, we were not asked followup questions. The CM was helpful, kind, and clearly having a hard day. I was able to clearly articulate what the child's needs are, and he was on camera which made it very clear that what I was saying about his capabilities and disabilities was accurate.
This is a good sign and folks should not give up and give it a try. I have no data, but I am hearing they will approve kids almost always. Adults, not so much I am hearing.

In any event its worth a try.

Fido Chuckwagon

I'm glad to hear that, as predicted, WDW is willing to waive cancellation fees/penalties for those impacted by this. Kudos to WDW for continuing to go above and beyond with their customer service. This should hopefully make everyone who is worried about non-refundable Disney hotel reservations and ticket purchases and not sure if they still qualify for DAS breathe a little easier.

ConfettiCupcake

I have yet to see a single person say that the return to line plan might work for their family. It’s kind of curious because it’s the obvious choice for the majority of people who can cognitively manage the wait but have physical limitations.

I think many are unsure about the logistics of how the exit and return thing will work, so we won’t really see too many ‘yeah this will be fine’ until more people have experienced it.

However I’ve definitely seen some who have stated it’s exactly what they need and can be even more helpful than DAS for them if it’s working well because even with just the LL wait they may have to exit without warning.

Grantwil93

I have yet to see a single person say that the return to line plan might work for their family. It’s kind of curious because it’s the obvious choice for the majority of people who can cognitively manage the wait but have physical limitations.
This isnt attacking anyone in particular cause everyone has their own group dynamics and needs. But im just gonna say it. Cause it's less convenient than just waiting for standby in terms of time spent. Same with rider swap. Some of the arguments ive seen across social media of why DAS is the only thing that can possibly work for them are hilarious.

Cause for many people, it's about having the accommodations that gives them the best day(which honestly is a totally fair viewpoint to have) and not about doing whats meerly reasonable. And I get it. Splitting the party and having some wait nearby for potentially over an hour only then to have to navigate the LL and find their party to then finish the line from merge isn't ideal for time spent. But it's seeming like people are saying that the time isn't the issue when DAS let's everyone go do whatever. So it has to be that no one in the party is willing to wait in a line.

And in that case, I'd say you are pretty much out of luck now. And I sympathize with that.

As for lost buisness, like ive said previously, I'm pretty sure Disney feels it will be fine. It especially sucks because no other large scale theme park provider in the country really has a product nearly as good as what Disney does in terms of rides catering physical and mental disabilities and even just the youngest and oldest of us. So where else do they go? I'd say universal might be a good option with EpIc Universe.

RamblinWreck

I think a lot of people are pretty rightly nervous about trying to leave and return to a queue.

I don’t think Disney wants to make that seem like an appealing and easy to use option.

Drdcm

I think a lot of people are pretty rightly nervous about trying to leave and return to a queue.

I don’t think Disney wants to make that seem like an appealing and easy to use option.
I know. I apologize, I just wanted to see if anyone has noticed the cognitive bias about this change. The reason people don’t want to do return to line is because DAS is far superior and easier - whether or not they are so called “power users” or not.

I honestly don’t really have an opinion either way.

From the perspective of someone who actually makes recommendations for accommodations in school and work, their distinction between cognitively being able to manage a wait vs physically being able to manage it makes sense to me and is similar to how I make work accommodation recs for people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom