News New Crêperie restaurant coming to Epcot's France Pavilion as part of Ratatouille expansion

LittleBuford

The Imagineers are not obligated to follow such norms, but in not doing so they become architectural Humpty Dumptys who present one thing but then declare it another.

You’re missing my point, which is that these norms are contravened multiple times throughout World Showcase as it already stands (I’m happy to provide pictorial evidence if you doubt it). And that’s only a problem if we conflate the art of theming with the art of architecture.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

You’re missing my point, which is that these norms are contravened multiples times throughout World Showcase as it already stands (I’m happy to provide pictorial evidence if you doubt it). And that’s only a problem if we conflate the art of theming with the art of architecture.
Do post pictures.

Missing20K

You’re missing my point, which is that these norms are contravened multiple times throughout World Showcase as it already stands (I’m happy to provide pictorial evidence if you doubt it). And that’s only a problem if we conflate the art of theming with the art of architecture.
I might argue that the art of theming is based upon the art of architecture. Hence, successful theming should utilize the proper deployment of the art of architecture. One cannot have themed structures without reference to the architecture of the story one is attempting to tell.

I do understand your greater point though, and it appears it has led to an interesting discussion in the other thread you created (I expand on my thoughts there).

LittleBuford

I might argue that the art of theming is based upon the art of architecture. Hence, successful theming should utilize the proper deployment of the art of architecture. One cannot have themed structures without reference to the architecture of the story one is attempting to tell.

Parts of this I agree with, but I would strongly dispute the claim that "successful theming should utilize the proper deployment of the art of the architecture." There is nothing orthodox or "proper" about Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Paris, for example. It is a fairytale fantasy through-and-through, and yet it's one of the most successful and beautiful examples of Disney theming out there.

Missing20K

Parts of this I agree with, but I would strongly dispute the claim that "successful theming should utilize the proper deployment of the art of the architecture." There is nothing orthodox or "proper" about Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Paris, for example. It is a fairytale fantasy through-and-through, and yet it's one of the most successful and beautiful examples of Disney theming out there.
Orthodoxy and artwork are usually opposing forces.

The art of architecture is very much about resisting and attacking previous orthodoxies. Only when viewed through a historical lens, do movements of architecture begin to have "orthodoxy". Even the "New" or "Neo" movements, be they Classical, Georgian, or Baroque, all are reacting with and against the contemporary architecture of the time, as well as the movement to which they are relating.

DLP's castle is based on the 1959 film and Mont St Michel so there are still architectural precedents that Tom Morris gathered to create his design.

Missing20K

My use of that word aside (and I would dispute what you’re saying here anyway), DLP’s castle is very far indeed from real-life architecture. That’s all I meant.
I wasn't referring to Religious orthodoxy artwork but rather that a large proportion of "art" has inherent qualities that place it in opposition of societal orthodoxy. That was what I meant by my comment. I could have probably chosen better phrasing.

But getting into discourse about what is "art" or "architecture" probably strays too far from the threads original purpose so if I get a minute later I will try to expand on my thoughts in the other thread.

LittleBuford

I wasn't referring to Religious orthodoxy artwork but rather that a large proportion of "art" has inherent qualities that place it in opposition of societal orthodoxy. That was what I meant by my comment. I could have probably chosen better phrasing.

But getting into discourse about what is "art" or "architecture" probably strays too far from the threads original purpose so if I get a minute later I will try to expand on my thoughts in the other thread.

No worries! For what it’s worth, I knew what you were referring to in your use of the word (and I’d still disagree). Looking forward to continuing the debate in the other thread.

ImperfectPixie

I don't get the fascination with Crepes. They are just thin little pancakes like Ricky Bobby said. They'd have to break my arm too before I'd admit to liking them. I don't care if Tom Cruise tried using his witchcraft on me.
I know I'm late to the party, but I learned to make crepes in a cast iron frying pan when I was 10, so around 1982-ish. Granted, they don't come out exactly like crepes made with a proper crepe pan (a tiny bit thicker and browned on both sides), but they're still delicious. When I was older, a French teacher of mine threw our class a crepe party and supplied a slew of toppings for us to try - everything from meat or veggies, to ice cream and popular ice cream toppings, to strawberries and other fruits. You ought to try one with some of your favorite goodies rolled up in it!

JBIRDTO

I know I'm late to the party, but I learned to make crepes in a cast iron frying pan when I was 10, so around 1982-ish. Granted, they don't come out exactly like crepes made with a proper crepe pan (a tiny bit thicker and browned on both sides), but they're still delicious. When I was older, a French teacher of mine threw our class a crepe party and supplied a slew of toppings for us to try - everything from meat or veggies, to ice cream and popular ice cream toppings, to strawberries and other fruits. You ought to try one with some of your favorite goodies rolled up in it!
I love making Crepes. I started with a cast iron crepe pan but have not mastered using it. I found an awesome non-stick crepe pan and can whip them off pretty fast and consistently.

ImperfectPixie

I love making Crepes. I started with a cast iron crepe pan but have not mastered using it. I found an awesome non-stick crepe pan and can whip them off pretty fast and consistently.
I've tried the "real" crepe pans, and honestly, I prefer my cast iron...probably just because I've been making them that way for so long! :joyfull:

Lensman

I've tried the "real" crepe pans, and honestly, I prefer my cast iron...probably just because I've been making them that way for so long! :joyfull:
Jacque Pépin doesn't use a crepe pan most of the time either, and what's good enough for him is good enough for me!

I must admit that I've never made crepes myself, but I saw Jacque on making crepes on Simply Ming the other day.

With you two as inspiration, I'm inclined to try it this weekend!

Unrelated: He's the only chef who makes me want to try deboning a whole chicken.

ImperfectPixie

Jacque Pépin doesn't use a crepe pan most of the time either, and what's good enough for him is good enough for me!

I must admit that I've never made crepes myself, but I saw Jacque on making crepes on Simply Ming the other day.

With you two as inspiration, I'm inclined to try it this weekend!

Unrelated: He's the only chef who makes me want to try deboning a whole chicken.
My three best pieces of advice - use a spatula that has a curve (crepes tear easily), the batter should be just slightly thicker than milk, and don't overcook the first side...hope you enjoy them!

mmascari

My piece of advice: Whatever you were going to do that crepe, you can also do to a much thicker pancake.

Done to a pancake.

c3dbf6b41b3644fea2112ceac703ec7a.jpg

I know it's wrong. But, it was delicious.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom