New Country??? Any news?

dstackel

Original Poster
I was just reading the forums and came across alot of good ideas for a new country in the World Showcase. Russia, India, Ireland, Spain etc. I was wondering, does anyone know of any plans to implement any of these ideas or any others not mentioned? There is a big chunk of land in the WS not being fully optimized... in between China and Germany, is the Africa area which is really just some ice cream and soda stands. So they do have the land. Anyway, just curious about this thought. If I repeated this from another thread, please dont get ed.

longfamily

Welcome to the boards!!!
The question at hand has been in hot debate for a long time now. As of this typing, no new developments have been made to implement a new country in the World Showcase. This is truely unfortunate, as many of us would love to be exposed to some new culture.:) While it is true that there is space enough for some additions to be made, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the government of the new country would need to be involved financially on some plane. This may be the reason why there has not been any expansion. From what I understand, the actual country must sponser the pavillion somehow. ***I would like to know any details anyone has about this if anyone has any factual info***

A really good question would be "which country do we offer the invitation too?" There are so many good choices to make because there are so many diverse cultures that the average visitor to Epcot has not been exposed to. I would be really curious to see who exactly Disney would be courting.

AEfx

Welcome to WDW Magic!

As longfamily pointed out, no, there are no offical plans made public (or even strong rumor) about a new WS country.

Personally, before they add another, I'd really like to see them beef up what we have.

It's a nice topic to dream about though.

AEfx

crazycalf

They should have kept the Millenium Village.
I know the building is used for some special events.
But, it was nice to see a little bit of culture of so many countries.
It's probably a lot cheaper, for the countries, for 20 something countries to sponser 1 pavilion.

Shaman

Also...run a search here on the forums...there are many threads about this topic...different speculations, stories, etc...

Welcome aboard.

dstackel

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for responding so quick. I know initially the "host" country had to sponsor the pavilion, but is this still the case? Can't Disney go ahead and make a pavilion without getting a host country to help fund it? I remember reading somewhere that Norway had pulled out of their agreement with EPCOT. Or at least was thinking about it. So I wonder if they even need to bother with dealing with a foreign countries tourism board etc.

I too believe some of the countries currently there could use some attention. The World Showcase is mine and my families favorite part of WDW so I just would love to see something new there. I still think it is amazing, just looking for something innovative to go there :)

crazycalf said:
They should have kept the Millenium Village.
I know the building is used for some special events.
But, it was nice to see a little bit of culture of so many countries.
It's probably a lot cheaper, for the countries, for 20 something countries to sponser 1 pavilion.

I must say that I was surprised that they didn't keep this for a much longer if not indefinite period of time. Some nations could have left and be replaced with new ones to give an even greater feel to world showcase.

s2jrston

you're right

You're absolutely correct dstackle. There is a large parcel that doesn't appear to be used. I just checked it out on the satellite photos. I always wondered about that area. Seems like a great place for an Africa experience.

It's probably difficult to get third world countries to participate in the entertainment of first world countries though. I wonder how Disney could attract international sponsors?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
As has been said, no new plans are in the works, but those parcels had been designated on some earlier maps and even with signs in the parks. The space between Morocco and Japan was to be Israel and between China and Germany was to be Equatorial Africa.

Africa has since been "moved" to AK and I guess Israel will be deferred in the current political climate.

I do hope to see additions reconsidered in the next five years or so...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Norway has a new film in production, so I guess the Norwegian government still have an input, and I believe the store in Japan sponsors a lot of the pavilion too - I think they are the largest chain of stores in Japan (maybe thats wrong?)

Given todays financial climate at TWDC I doubt they would go it alone with a new country, although this may be a chance for Mr Iger to prove himself....

KevinPage

I wonder if there have been countries who wanted to build and put up the money that Disney had turned down?

Do you think Eisner would have turned down Iraq & Saddam Hussein?
Maybe Kadafi & Egypt?

Maybe Eisner isn't all that bad after all :lol: :lol: :lol:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a new country addded, BUT, World Showcase wont be a high priority right now. Epcot is great at handling the current crowds, is attracting more guests with Mission Space and soon-to-be Soarin. What motivation is there for Disney to address this right now? Much higher on the list has to be the other 3 parks.

aj_macack

Personally I don't see this happening for a really long time,
BUT, if it did I would LOVE to see Ireland come...
Could you imagine that place on St. Patty's day, heck every day of the year for that matter....LoL... Good times, good times!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
There's never a bad excuse for a party, but Ireland is captured in the UK. Likewise, with Germany I wouldn't see consideration for something like Switzerland or Austria.

My personal preference is for Russia and India, possibly Turkey for the unique architecture, different cultures, food and entertainment opportunities.

GoofMaul

s2jrston said:
You're absolutely correct dstackle. There is a large parcel that doesn't appear to be used. I just checked it out on the satellite photos. I always wondered about that area. Seems like a great place for an Africa experience.

It's probably difficult to get third world countries to participate in the entertainment of first world countries though. I wonder how Disney could attract international sponsors?

And I always thought Africa was a continent. :D :lookaroun

dstackel

Original Poster
Ireland is covered somewhat in the UK showcase, and Turkey seems too similar to Morocco. I think Russia would be perfect. Imagine a small replica of Red Square, it would be so distinct. Plus Russia has such a vibrant and unique culture that hasn't been represented yet in Epcot. I know there are so many other areas that need to be addressed before the World Showcase is, but it is fun to speculate and give ideas.

Anyway as my profile has said, I am a transplant from NY. And I just love it down here, from my apt I can see Wishes everynight, and am less then 1 minute from being on WDW property. I know, sounds like gloating, I am just so happy. Anyway, really looking forward to checking out Soaring.

Oh, to all those interested in dining, my family and I finally checked out Le' Cellier in Canada, and it did not disappoint. I had never eaten there before because being from NY I always thought I could go to a steakhouse whenever I pleased. After finally checking it out, I must recommend it to everyone, not only was the food superb, the staff was amazing... very informative giving tidbits about Canada.

OK well, thats all for me tonight, see you all in the parks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom