New Country??? Any news?

CaliSurfer182

North Ireland is represented in the UK because they are a part of the UK. The other 3/4 of the island of Ireland are a seperate free republic vastly different from the UK owned portion.

stitchcastle

No offense to Ireland fans but I think there are plenty more countries with much more colorful and iconic cultures that deserves to be prioritized over Ireland, besides, Europe is already over-represented.

Keysmickey

India is the latest rumor. I have it on good source that discussions are being had. It makes sense with so much outsourcing being shipped to India that they'd like to capitalize on possible US travel interests.

Still remains to be seen, but it's the best bet for now.

SpenceMan01

dstackel said:
I was just reading the forums and came across alot of good ideas for a new country in the World Showcase. Russia, India, Ireland, Spain etc. I was wondering, does anyone know of any plans to implement any of these ideas or any others not mentioned? There is a big chunk of land in the WS not being fully optimized... in between China and Germany, is the Africa area which is really just some ice cream and soda stands. So they do have the land. Anyway, just curious about this thought. If I repeated this from another thread, please dont get ed.

At first I thought that there wasn't room because it was taken up by the canal where the Illuminations barges are stored, but after looking at Aerial photos, I see that there IS room there. See here (Many Pictures. Dialup users: You have been warned).

Here's one of my posts on this thread about my thoughts on a new country pavillion:
SpenceMan01 said:
My first inclination was to say Australia. But on second thought, I'd have to go Greek. The themeing and atmosphere would be very unique and unlike anything in Epcot. I really like the ideas that have been posted on here such as a FP Parthenon Building, Herc. Characters, and the Greek dark ride or boat ride.

They could build an Indy/Dinosaur-style dark ride that is themed to the Labriynth Maze on Crete where you come face-to-face and battle the Minotaur!

I also think it'd be cool to have some sort a dinner show themed to the Olympics. You could have athletic contests, story telling and a variety of other things in a show like that. Someone mentioned a maze. There is so much Mythology in Greek history, I would love to see Disney bring it to life at a Greek Pavillion. Plus I think the food would be good.

Empress Room

SpenceMan01 said:
At first I thought that there wasn't room because it was taken up by the canal where the Illuminations barges are stored, but after looking at Aerial photos, I see that there IS room there. See here (Many Pictures. Dialup users: You have been warned).

Here's one of my posts on this thread about my thoughts on a new country pavillion:

Very interesting aerial photo, SpenceMan. Of particular note (apart from the space available for country expansion) is the very large building attached to the Germany pavillion. Does anyone know if this is, in fact, the show building for the planned-but-never-constructed Germany boat ride? It certainly appears way too big to simply house the pavillion and its shops/restaurants. If it is, in fact, the show building, is it used for anything (storage) or is it simply an empty hulk? Kind of a shame.

pcf1385

GoofMaul said:
And I always thought Africa was a continent. :D :lookaroun

you are wonderful:kiss: . I was just about to say this. Further more, not only is africa represented in AK, but in epcot, Morrocco(I know I spelled it wrong). Is in africa.:)

SpenceMan01

I think it houses a combination of the Biergarten and it's "support" functions (food prep/storage, dish cleaning, etc).

I could be totally wrong on this, it's just what makes the most sense to me.

Empress Room

SpenceMan01 said:
I think it houses a combination of the Biergarten and it's "support" functions (food prep/storage, dish cleaning, etc).

I could be totally wrong on this, it's just what makes the most sense to me.

That's as good a guess as any; however, the other pavillions with "support" functions do not appear to have such a large building attached to the pavillion. Heck, the Beirgarten isn't that big...but maybe they need a big building to store all of that Lowenbrau!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Empress Room said:
Very interesting aerial photo, SpenceMan. Of particular note (apart from the space available for country expansion) is the very large building attached to the Germany pavillion. Does anyone know if this is, in fact, the show building for the planned-but-never-constructed Germany boat ride? It certainly appears way too big to simply house the pavillion and its shops/restaurants. If it is, in fact, the show building, is it used for anything (storage) or is it simply an empty hulk? Kind of a shame.
It is indeed most of the show building for the Rhine River Ride. It has been used for storage, parade rehersals and other things, but never open to regular guests. Same as the Carousel Theatre building in Japan, I believe.

For the record, from the orginal World Showcase plans, there is room for another 8 countries (removing the millenium Village prefab)

Empress Room

marni1971 said:
It is indeed most of the show building for the Rhine River Ride. It has been used for storage, parade rehersals and other things, but never open to regular guests. Same as the Carousel Theatre building in Japan, I believe.

Boy, one would think that, since the investment has already been made into the infrastructure necessary for the Rhine River Ride, it would make sense to develop that attraction prior to constructing additional show buildings and grand stands (e.g. the completely from-the-ground construction/addition of Soarin' onto The Land). Can't figure that one out...although logic would dictate an eventual development of the German show building.

What's the background on the Carousel Theatre in Japan? Unfamiliar with that undeveloped project.

marni1971 said:
For the record, from the orginal World Showcase plans, there is room for another 8 countries (removing the millenium Village prefab)

Eight? Really? I wouldn't have guessed that. Three, maybe four if they pushed it. Are the eight still viable today (notwithstanding demand and financial investment) or has some of that space been taken?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It goes like this... Japan was originally going to have a Carousel Theatre show called `Meet the World`, based on the countries history. The show was finished, built, ready to be installed, when it was found that the space for the revolving theatre was too small. I kid you not. Structural supports were in the way (by a matter of feet I believe) but the theatre just couldn`t fit. Since EPCOT Centers budget was out of control it was decided to mothball the attraction, but TDL was under construction and the OLC decided to offer to take it off WDW`s hands - which they did, and install it in Tomorrowland - which they did.

Yep, 8 countries notwithstanding temporary structures / Millenium Village; between Mexico and Norway, the lagoon dock spur and Germany (Africa`s planned position), Germany and Italy (Italy still has the backstage space for its Gondola ride), Japan and Morocco, Morocco and France, International Gateway and the UK, the UK and Canada. I recently did a story looking in closer detail at this at www.d-troops.com

Empress Room

marni1971 said:
It goes like this... Japan was originally going to have a Carousel Theatre show called `Meet the World`, based on the countries history. The show was finished, built, ready to be installed, when it was found that the space for the revolving theatre was too small. I kid you not. Structural supports were in the way (by a matter of feet I believe) but the theatre just couldn`t fit. Since EPCOT Centers budget was out of control it was decided to mothball the attraction, but TDL was under construction and the OLC decided to offer to take it off WDW`s hands - which they did, and install it in Tomorrowland - which they did.

Yep, 8 countries notwithstanding temporary structures / Millenium Village; between Mexico and Norway, the lagoon dock spur and Germany (Africa`s planned position), Germany and Italy (Italy still has the backstage space for its Gondola ride), Japan and Morocco, Morocco and France, International Gateway and the UK, the UK and Canada. I recently did a story looking in closer detail at this at www.d-troops.com

Very interesting, indeed. It's almost frightening to think of how much more interesting Epcot would/could be if these attractions are eventually developed.

Dj Corona

During the food and wine festival several countries have stands set up that aren't represented...Australia, Ireland, India, I think Greece, and a few others..maybe somebody else here has a better memory, but if you like to speculate if any of those are canidates, and keeping in mind Africa's pretty well represented with AK, and may or may not eventually get an Australian themed area, perhaps those that are left and aren't similar to what countries are already there could be front-runners. Of course as many have already stated, i'd like to see them beef up what they already have before building anything new. Who knows, maybe they'll put in a new country in time for Epcots' anniversary.

Empress Room

Dj Corona said:
During the food and wine festival several countries have stands set up that aren't represented...Australia, Ireland, India, I think Greece, and a few others..maybe somebody else here has a better memory, but if you like to speculate if any of those are canidates, and keeping in mind Africa's pretty well represented with AK, and may or may not eventually get an Australian themed area, perhaps those that are left and aren't similar to what countries are already there could be front-runners. Of course as many have already stated, i'd like to see them beef up what they already have before building anything new. Who knows, maybe they'll put in a new country in time for Epcots' anniversary.

I would be happy with an announcement from WDW on May 5 that plans are in the works to add the Germany and/or Italy dark rides as part of the 25th anniversary celebration. Constructing an entirely new country/attraction (particularly when MGM, Animal Kingdom and, to a lesser extent, Magic Kingdom, all need new attractions/attention) seems a bit too optimistic at this point.

erasure fan1

I think the best answer here is not a new country, but to develop what is here already. I like world showcase but it would be nice to see a (at least) mid level attraction around the Canada area. I know it was rumored about the brother bear ride in Canada and I think it’s a great idea. Mexico and Norway have nice little rides but I think they need something with a little more substance. And I dont think it necessarily has to be a thrill ride, just more involved than a mexico and norway.

erasure fan1

Sergeant Tibbs said:
erasure fan1 said:
I know it was rumored about the brother bear ride in Canada
Yeah what ever happened to that?

I think that it was a rumor that started on this site because I have not seen it any place else. Not that I did a ton of searching for it. It would be cool though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom