New construction at Disney's Animal Kingdom?

RSoxNo1

Problems:
- The animals are rather small. We have a hard enough time seeing Gorrillas in Asia let alone a Kowala bear, lol.

- Does Aus. have any type of foods that would even make a fast food restraunt logical?

- What attraction could possibly be used for this area? The imagineers would have to really think outside of the box for this to work.

Another BBQ stand - Just look at the menu for outback steakhouse - there's your Australian cuisine. With that said - I just don't see it happening.

PhilharMagician

It appeared that there was some sort of construction also behind FOLK and Pocohantas. We noticed somthing going on from the bus, but could not get pics quick enough. Does anybody know???

The construction for the new restaurant in Asia has been steady. During the day we could hear jackhammers going almost non stop behind the construction walls. I did not notice anything unusual going on in that open area between Kali and Rafiki's. That area has been open for a long time. It is a large piece of property and it would be nice to have something go into there. I would like to see Kali get an extrension at some point using some of that area.

PhilharMagician

We stayed at AKL last week and on the balcony we could hear the construction a couple of mornings, in fact I was a little upset as it was a little ofter 7am and you could here the construction equipment. I had also stopped at the DVC desk to see if they had any dates yet on when they would start selling (sorry she said she didn't know). Someone came up and was looking into it, and he said he thought they started construction already, or he was hearing the construction. I didn't get a chance to question it further, but there is something going on near AKL.
I am not sure if this is correct or not, so take this info as you will.

I was speaking with my DVC salesman about 3 weeks ago and the info i got about points being sold for AKLV will be in mid to late 2007.

pacochran

I am not sure if this is correct or not, so take this info as you will.

I was speaking with my DVC salesman about 3 weeks ago and the info i got about points being sold for AKLV will be in mid to late 2007.

Thanks for the information I will keep checking. It makes sense if they say the conversion of the AKL rooms will be done by the end of 2007.

Liverstealer

The Asian Safari has been a rumor since the park opened. Whether or not it'll happen is another story. The park had the opportunity to get Asian elephants, however as it stands right now, there is no place to put them. Disney at first was apprehensive about pursuing pandas, because prior to '98, Disney had no trackrecord with zookeeping. Any sort of mishap with a panda (sickness or death) under Disney's watch would be a PR nightmare. Now that they've established themselves as an AZA certified zoo, they might more readily pursue pandas.
As far as Austrailia goes, I find it highly doubtful the park would expand with that as a whole other land. The same goes for Beastly Kingdom. Dr. Beth has even said in print interviews that the concept of BK would live on, however not in a specific land, but in other attractions such as Everest and the Yeti.
The construction behind CMM is mostly for drainage and water....they're putting in very large 5 foot wide culverts. Whether or not that means CMM is expanding or evolving, I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything.

RSoxNo1

The Asian Safari has been a rumor since the park opened. Whether or not it'll happen is another story. The park had the opportunity to get Asian elephants, however as it stands right now, there is no place to put them. Disney at first was apprehensive about pursuing pandas, because prior to '98, Disney had no trackrecord with zookeeping. Any sort of mishap with a panda (sickness or death) under Disney's watch would be a PR nightmare. Now that they've established themselves as an AZA certified zoo, they might more readily pursue pandas.
As far as Austrailia goes, I find it highly doubtful the park would expand with that as a whole other land. The same goes for Beastly Kingdom. Dr. Beth has even said in print interviews that the concept of BK would live on, however not in a specific land, but in other attractions such as Everest and the Yeti.
The construction behind CMM is mostly for drainage and water....they're putting in very large 5 foot wide culverts. Whether or not that means CMM is expanding or evolving, I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything.

Thanks for the great info Livestealer. The logic for not getting Pandas makes sense. I know that Disney has invested nearly as much in it's backstage animal holding facilities as they do with what the guests actually see. With that said, I think the expansion to Asian Elephants would be quite costly. I do think they would be a valuable addition, although if an Asian safari does happen, I would hope that many of the major asian animals would also be visable from a walk through area so we don't just see passing glimpses of Elephants, Orangutans or Pandas.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Perhaps the drainage work behind CMM (remember this was temporary!) is more of the same project a while back when they had to rip out the original drainage and re lay it?

Madison

How much of that is the Safari? Does that extend to the park limit? It's kind of hard to figure it out with the arial photo.

The safari extends from the service road shown to the left, inside the park limit, upward to the canal or other body of water somewhat short of the upper limit, over to the railroad tracks on the right. On its bottom, it borders Harambe, which is the cluster of buildings just across Discovery River and left from the Tree of Life.

PhilharMagician

RSoxNo1

I know the Safari was big, but that really puts it in perspective. It looks to be as big as the rest of the park.

They do seem to have the room for an equally large Asian Safari (I know the original was supposed to be a skytram that would lead up to the Yeti at a top of a mountain). I would be very satisfied with another walk through, but I think it would be difficult to effective use all that land as an area to walk - it would be better suited for attractions that take up that space as opposed to out of the way walking paths.

If we're to believe that they're going to increase the annual money invested into the parks (per the Pixar Thread), I'm guessing that AK won't be seeing too much of that. They already have two Pixar attractions in the park with Nemo and It's Tough to be a Bug. With that said, does anyone know how much they had been spending annually for park improvements (I remember reading approximately 100 mil) and what they plan to expand that to?

Liverstealer

The supposed Mice Age parcel of land is probably too isolated for it to become much of anything. That area is mostly for maintenence anyways. I'd love to see an Asian safari as much as the next person, but as noted, Kilimanjaro is extrodinarily big, not just in land, but also in staffing (animal keepers, landscapers and safari guides). I highly doubt that if an Asian safari were to actually happen that it would be on the scale as Kilimanjaro. Having an Asian safari might also be logistically tricky, because most of the open land is directly north of the jungle trek. You would need a great area for the entrance to a safari and for a loading area. That would require extensive restructuring of the jungle trek if not total demoliton of it. Instead the area of land just north of the trek might be another ride (sans animals) that would be accessible from Rafiki's planet watch. Perhaps ride dealing with water.

JML42691

Empty Land Plot

Be prepared for a long post, as I am going to give my thoughts about this land parcel and give facts that I have heard from visits to Disney, CMs, ect.

As for several ideas pesented to this thread by other posters, the proposed Beastly Kingdom would not be going in this large open land parcel but it would rather be replacing Camp Minnie Mickey. Not only would it use the current land of CMM, there is a piece of land further behind it between the rear of Festival of the Lion King and the Rainforest Cafe access road that doubles CMM's size. I have not heard the actual fate of current CMM attractions if Beastly Kingdom were to be installed, but from what I have heard Pochahontas will be removed, and I would assume (I have not heard any actual facts about them) that the Festival of the Lion King would be moved to Africa between the resturaunt and the backstage road as this land is just the right size to be moved there, and that the greeting trails would probably be moved to the Conservation Station in order to attract more people to that area. Somebody also asked about the land behind former Tarzan. This land is pinched tightly and is small between the back of now Nemo and the Boat Marina. The massive piece of cleared land next to Kilamanjaro could be used for a variety of lands. I do not think that a second safari would help the park (not that it would hurt it either). These lands could be an extended Asia to include more animals, an Australia Land with an attraction or two, or even my personal favorite, a rainforest themed land most likely inluding the areas from Cental America and Southern America. All of these lands could fit into this area if thought out properly. The rainforest land could include a ride that I have adapted from a person that proposed in the Imagineer Portal (I believe that mrharrington posted it but I apologize if I am wrong) that include a snake god and the touring of its temple until everything goes wrong: forwards, backwards, a forward inversion and a backwards inversion that includes a track type similar to Everest (that flips to send it down a different route). But what separates it apart from Everest is that the forces going backwards are not as intense but are rather replaced with inversions. It would have the face building of a Cancun style temple (5-8 stories with a boxed off top) and a hidden stage building in the back. {But enough about that ride for this post}. I believe that Animal Kingdom could replace the "5th gate" for a thrill park by using somewhat thrilling rides to fill in the "missing piece" of Disney.

Captain Barbosa

Roughly 5 years ago, Animal Kingdom had night safaris. I was lucky enough to get on one of these night safaris. It was fun enough, thanks to some humorous commentary. We really couldn't see many animals at all. I highly doubt they bring anything like it back, other guests didn't seem very happy about not seeing animals.

epcotfreak1224

Be prepared for a long post, as I am going to give my thoughts about this land parcel and give facts that I have heard from visits to Disney, CMs, ect.

As for several ideas pesented to this thread by other posters, the proposed Beastly Kingdom would not be going in this large open land parcel but it would rather be replacing Camp Minnie Mickey. Not only would it use the current land of CMM, there is a piece of land further behind it between the rear of Festival of the Lion King and the Rainforest Cafe access road that doubles CMM's size. I have not heard the actual fate of current CMM attractions if Beastly Kingdom were to be installed, but from what I have heard Pochahontas will be removed, and I would assume (I have not heard any actual facts about them) that the Festival of the Lion King would be moved to Africa between the resturaunt and the backstage road as this land is just the right size to be moved there, and that the greeting trails would probably be moved to the Conservation Station in order to attract more people to that area. Somebody also asked about the land behind former Tarzan. This land is pinched tightly and is small between the back of now Nemo and the Boat Marina. The massive piece of cleared land next to Kilamanjaro could be used for a variety of lands. I do not think that a second safari would help the park (not that it would hurt it either). These lands could be an extended Asia to include more animals, an Australia Land with an attraction or two, or even my personal favorite, a rainforest themed land most likely inluding the areas from Cental America and Southern America. All of these lands could fit into this area if thought out properly. The rainforest land could include a ride that I have adapted from a person that proposed in the Imagineer Portal (I believe that mrharrington posted it but I apologize if I am wrong) that include a snake god and the touring of its temple until everything goes wrong: forwards, backwards, a forward inversion and a backwards inversion that includes a track type similar to Everest (that flips to send it down a different route). But what separates it apart from Everest is that the forces going backwards are not as intense but are rather replaced with inversions. It would have the face building of a Cancun style temple (5-8 stories with a boxed off top) and a hidden stage building in the back. {But enough about that ride for this post}. I believe that Animal Kingdom could replace the "5th gate" for a thrill park by using somewhat thrilling rides to fill in the "missing piece" of Disney.

I really like the idea of a rainorest themed land. But the rainforest land could also inlucde the supposed rainforest roller coaster that was supposed to be built from the project gemini at Epcot (sorry if the name is wrong). I think that ride would fit better in AK. AK still needs more rides imo.

Dylszero

I really like the idea of a rainorest themed land. But the rainforest land could also inlucde the supposed rainforest roller coaster that was supposed to be built from the project gemini at Epcot (sorry if the name is wrong). I think that ride would fit better in AK. AK still needs more rides imo.

I belive EPCOT could do with a new thrill ride before the otheer parks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom