News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

wdrive

And for the land of the "free," that's pretty messed up.

No it isn’t.
Sorry we don’t live in a harmonious utopia.
You go to work and do what you’re told. It’s the land of the free because you are free to not do that and leave your job and go work somewhere else.

Where do you work? Because if you’re free to do as you please I may apply.

Stevie Amsterdam

Hot topic?

I can't believe people still think tattoos aren't common at this point. Again, how is the cast member's nose piercing at Thunder Mountain going to affect your enjoyment of the ride?

Or the girl who uses beads in her hair? Or has a hot pink braid interwoven in her hair?
I'm just catching up with this thread so there might be more of your posts that I support lol. I think some people still associate tattoos with gangs or seafarers. I'll admit, I'm a little biased cause I have a tattoo... or two... but said people just can't fanthom that most people nowadays consider tattoos as wearable art. Some folks like to hang a painting on their wall, place a sculpture in their garden etc. Others wear it on their body.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Correct. The system is flawed. I, myself, am lucky enough not to be caught in the big pit that's impossible to climb out of.

There is no "climbing up" unless you want to waste 30 to 40 years of your life. Like I said, it's not 1971 anymore. Too many people. Not enough opportunity. System is flawed.

You'd have fit in very well in Soviet Russia ideology for "New Soviet Person". People are not interchangeable as they don't possess the same aptitudes, education, or skill sets. Purporting that the system is flawed because everyone doesn't have the same results is disingenuous.

Last edited:

Stevie Amsterdam

Disney has a right to set whatever standards for a 'look' they want.

Kids, here's another life tip ~ every piercing, tattoo and funky haircut/haircolor you decide to get affects your future job options.
That depends on the job you're after. I hold a high profile position at a global financial institution and while my tattoos have been a topic of conversation, they've never obstructed my superiors to offer me even better roles. My company pays me for what I contribute to their goals, not some drawing on my arm.

If anything, it says something of how scared you are of people with tattoos and that you rather don't wish to see them in any work environment.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
But when they're playing a role, actors very often have to cover up their tats. CMs are 'on stage' in their role.

And I get that. In certain roles/positions I see why they would be asked to cover it up. It shouldn't however be something that would (should) be a condition of employment.

There are many professionals that while "on stage" - be it a movie/TV set, a musical, a Broadway production, or interacting with the public that will be asked to cover up ink while portraying their role. Additionally, there are those as well that will be asked to cover up a mole or hide a scar. And look, I'm not talking about the individual that has a face tattoo with piercings and implants over their eyebrows.

CosmicRays

I think of all the actors, sports players, musicians and public figures who have tattoos and hairstyles today that 50 years ago were frowned upon. I think it comes down on how you present yourself. If you look like you took time to keep yourself presentable and have a positive attitude, that should in theory overcome another persons hang ups about styles they are not used to.

Me and my wife have several tattoos. I work in transportation and she works in finance. We both dress professionally and act in a business manner when at work. I just think the public perception about how people look is shifting. Whereas before it came from a puritanical position and mostly from a certain race of people, we here in the United States have been mixing cultures and races for quite awhile. Its only natural that styles and accepted looks will change.

Now I do understand Disney is a different beast altogether. They are after the broadest market possible so therefore their rules for their CM will be stricter than say the local Best Buy. They didn't get to this global behemoth by having relaxed rules. I do think as public perception shifts to being more inclusive Disney will also relax some of its rules. May be small things but I don't see them going backwards and being even more strict with them. Just my two cents.

dreday3

I feel pretty good right about now! (it's like they heard me...) :D

Site referencing new appearance guidance has this:

• This new set of updates will allow Cast Members to have visible tattoos, with restrictions in place to make sure they’re appropriate for a family-friendly environment, and the allowance of a wider spectrum of hair and nail colors, which previously had to be natural colors.

Last edited:

dreday3

We’re looking at other traditions, too – including the policies that guide how our cast members show up for work. Our new approach provides greater flexibility with respect to forms of personal expression surrounding gender-inclusive hairstyles, jewelry, nail styles, and costume choices; and allowing appropriate visible tattoos. We’re updating them to not only remain relevant in today’s workplace, but also enable our cast members to better express their cultures and individuality at work.

celluloid

They kicked the head hunters out of the Jungle Cruise too soon. They just missed the next Disney look lax where face piercings and angry scowels are encouraged.

All this realpy means folks is that without the CP, the talent pool is pretty dry.

Creathir

We’re looking at other traditions, too – including the policies that guide how our cast members show up for work. Our new approach provides greater flexibility with respect to forms of personal expression surrounding gender-inclusive hairstyles, jewelry, nail styles, and costume choices; and allowing appropriate visible tattoos. We’re updating them to not only remain relevant in today’s workplace, but also enable our cast members to better express their cultures and individuality at work.
Huge mistake in my opinion.
I don’t see the point of this change whatsoever.
Employee self expression is fine, express oneself. But do it outside of the workplace.
If you are customer facing, the customers should not be exposed to an employee’s personal expression decisions. Should political shirts be allowed? Political tattoos? “Mommy, why does that man have a naked mermaid on his arm?”

denyuntilcaught

This is all terrific news and absolutely falls under the umbrella of inclusivity. Too many people are upset about a visible tattoo being "unprofessional" without actually questioning how the standards of professionalism came to be. Here's a hint - they're rooted in prejudice.

They had tattoos in the old west. They have them in jungles. They certainly had them in New Orleans. The themed argument doesn't make much sense.

dreday3

Employee self expression is fine, express oneself. But do it outside of the workplace.
If you are customer facing, the customers should not be exposed to an employee’s personal expression decisions. Should political shirts be allowed? Political tattoos? “Mommy, why does that man have a naked mermaid on his arm?”

What is it about allowing "appropriate tattoos" that is confusing?

denyuntilcaught

This is a slippery slope fallacy. A main entrance CM wearing a simple necklace with meaning does not equate to a CM on Indy wearing a MAGA shirt.

Mouse Trap

Hope they don't ride Peter Pan....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom