News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

Stevie Amsterdam

Not shocking at all. But this is a discussion about USA standards so they seem a bit more relevant to me.
That’s not fair, because a few pages back the Disney look in the Japanese parks was brought up for comparison as well. Runningkoen did have a point that an airline carrier doesn’t have to be American to be big, or relevant for that matter.

TrainsOfDisney

That’s not fair, because a few pages back the Disney look in the Japanese parks was brought up for comparison as well. Runningkoen did have a point that an airline carrier doesn’t have to be American to be big, or relevant for that matter.
Well if we are looking at Japan we also need to look to Paris which has a more liberal dress code for cast members.

tpac24

I'm cracking up at the people who decry "cancel culture" saying they want to cancel Disney because they let their employees wear shorts in a swamp with a visible tattoo.

Keep being you!
Well when one of the two photos floating around of the new look is someone who showed up to work on Main Street USA looking like she just left Lucy Blues in Kissimmee ( is that even still there) after a long night completely breaking the theming Disney up charges for compared to other theme parks than yes there should be some push back. Her look is better suited for Rock'n Roller Coaster.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

My two cents. I don't really object to the allowable changes, but I think some things need to be moderated from a thematic standpoint. As an example, I think cast members working in Liberty Square outside of the Haunted Mansion shouldn't be having multiple visible tattoos. But if someone has brightly dyed hair, tattoos, or other things that others may oppose I have zero issue with them in areas like Tomorrowland, Future World, Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios.

Having said all that, they're doing enough damage to things without my really caring about a modernization of the cast member appearance guidelines. Some of these changes are LONG over due.

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

I have to tell ALL of you how horrible my Friday night was at Epcot and the Magic Kingdom. I saw a few cast members with tattoos. I had to stop in my tracks...because I wanted to compliment them on it since I liked the design. That was how bad my trip was. I interacted more with the cast members...and frankly, I'll do it again.

In reality, the inked cast that I saw was far and few in-between, and the locations of their tattoos varied. I feel it that it was a more natural conversation starter as I've always hated the superficial conversation starters and hated doing it when I worked in the parks.

That's all.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I'm cracking up at the people who decry "cancel culture" saying they want to cancel Disney because they let their employees wear shorts in a swamp with a visible tattoo.

Keep being you!
Every time Disney makes a major change to the parks some people say “that’s it! That’s the last straw!” - and everytime other forum members say “nobody goes to Disney because of _________”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My two cents. I don't really object to the allowable changes, but I think some things need to be moderated from a thematic standpoint. As an example, I think cast members working in Liberty Square outside of the Haunted Mansion shouldn't be having multiple visible tattoos. But if someone has brightly dyed hair, tattoos, or other things that the fox news crowd may oppose I have zero issue with them in areas like Tomorrowland, Future World, Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios.

The problem of the "historical accuracy" criterion for dress is when do you then disregard historical accuracy?... Because it's impossible to be 100% 'correct.'

Wouldn't most historically accurate lands have clear gender roles that could only be done by men v. women? Do you tell a CM of African descent that they can only play the role of a slave in New Orleans Square? Do you tell male CMs that they have to get an ear piercing to work at PotC?

Unlike the type-cast CMs that play a face character (which allows for type casting based on color, size, gender, age, etc....), we already have historical anomalies in the uniformed CMs in their historical settings with regard to gender, age, and color. Not to mentions a princess parade going through Liberty Square. And slightly themed trash cans every 30 feet. And just about every guest ruining "the show" in their modern garb.

The uniform is meant to imply a look, not be fully detailed to absolute historical accuracy. It's like a stage that has a few flat trees to imply the setting of a forest. The audience gets it because it's an accepted trope of drama that staging doesn't have to be 100% realistic in every detail. Hamilton had performers in the 'wrong' race wearing historically inaccurate costumes (when they weren't just in their undies) with the barest of sets slightly suggesting the scene. People got it.

The CMs are on "a stage." There's enough of their uniform to identify them. The audience knows how to fill in the rest. They've seen stage plays before.

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
It's going to be ok.

Visible tattoos are permitted, with the exception of
placement on the face, head or neck. Tattoos must be no
larger than the Cast Member’s hand when fully extended
with the fingers held together.

Undergarments, which include matching fabric tattoo sleeves,
are permitted for coverage of larger tattoos on the arms.
Tattoos that depict nudity, offensive or inappropriate language
or images, or violate Company policies (including policies
prohibiting discrimination and harassment based on race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, ancestry, age, disability or any other protected category)
are not permitted.

Hairstyles that are clean and well maintained represent our Disney brand. Hair length,
including completely shaved styling, is at the Cast Member’s discretion. Hair below shoulder
length should be secured if it falls forward over the face or covers the nametag while
working.

If the hair color is changed, it should be well maintained and in naturaloccurring
hues. Examples of hair colors that are not considered natural
would be colors such as blue, green, pink, purple, etc.
The shaving of lines or shapes in the hair is permitted provided they
do not depict offensive words or symbols.

Earrings must be simple, matched pairs in gold, silver, or a color
that matches the costume. Two earrings in each ear are permitted.
Earrings may be clip-on or pierced, post, hoop or dangle and may
be worn anywhere on the ear. Earrings may not exceed 2 inches in
length/circumference.

Intentional body modification or alteration for the purpose of achieving a visible,
physical effect that disfigures, deforms or similarly detracts from a professional image is
prohibited.
Examples include, but are not limited to: brands, body piercing
(other than ear piercing), tongue piercing or splitting, tooth
filing, earlobe expansion, and disfiguring skin implants.

Nails should be clean. If polish is used, it should be
the same on each nail and well maintained in one
solid color or French manicure style. Charms or
decals on nails are not permitted. Fingernails
should not exceed one-fourth of an inch
beyond the fingertip.

tpac24

My two cents. I don't really object to the allowable changes, but I think some things need to be moderated from a thematic standpoint. As an example, I think cast members working in Liberty Square outside of the Haunted Mansion shouldn't be having multiple visible tattoos. But if someone has brightly dyed hair, tattoos, or other things that the fox news crowd may oppose I have zero issue with them in areas like Tomorrowland, Future World, Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios.

Having said all that, they're doing enough damage to things without my really caring about a modernization of the cast member appearance guidelines. Some of these changes are LONG over due.
What a stereotypical narrow minded comment to make! Honestly this says more about you than the group you are trying to insult!

tirian

What a stereotypical narrow minded comment to make! Honestly this says more about you than the group you are trying to insult!
Sorry buddy, I’ve got to agree here. I’m not part of that crowd, and I strongly disagree with the new changes.

When people agreed to work for Disney, they agreed to follow the “Disney Look.” They could dress however they wanted on their own time, and the standards already allowed for most religious and cultural requirements.

Most of these new allowances are ridiculous. Does someone really need to be allowed to have black fingernail polish to feel like a “person”? It’s called a dress code at work. At work. You agreed to follow these rules before you took the job.

The PR department worked overtime to concoct Josh’s quotes in a way that imply if you disagree with the new policy, you must be a horrible, awful, no-good scumbag who hates people and diversity and children and puppy dogs and inclusion and kitty cats and pixie dust and unicorns.

ukcatz12

What a ridiculous comment. I wonder what you are implying.
'
They'd also be at home with a lot of the military or veterans.

A lot of chefs.

A lot of people in bands.

A lot of doctors/nurses.

A lot of executives.

A lot of stay at home moms.

A lot of teachers.

A lot of the human race.

Me.
My dog perked up at their comment about the NBA players, he must have heard a loud whistle.

RSoxNo1

I only referenced that because Fox explicitly commented on it with a link / image posted upthread. I will clarify/modify my original post.

Last edited:

BlindChow

Unlike the type-cast CMs that play a face character (which allows for type casting based on color, size, gender, age, etc....), we already have historical anomalies in the uniformed CMs in their historical settings with regard to gender, age, and color.

[...]

The CMs are on "a stage." There's enough of their uniform to identify them. The audience knows how to fill in the rest. They've seen stage plays before.
Do you see tattoos being in the same category as gender, age, and color?

A lot of actors (even those on stage) cover up their tattoos when playing their roles. It's part of the job.

It sounds like many people here would be less concerned about the change if the tattoo displays were limited to lands/rides where it doesn't blatantly clash with the theming. If the CM is more concerned about showing off their tattoo than fitting their themed role, then why not work in Adventureland (or wherever) instead of Main Street?

Last edited:

HarperRose

It is a slippery slope, when you start to relax your standards and allow wiggle room for interpretation. Disney had very set rules, about the Disney Look. It is know world wide and the Disney look should be timeless and help to improve the show of the parks and resorts.

Men for example were not aloud to have any facial hair at all, not even a mustache. Then they aloud mustaches. As long as they did not extend over the corners of your month. That was clear and other than that no facial hair, had to be clean shaven.

When they started to allow beards, there is/was a length guideline, I do believe of no longer than that of the easer on the end of a pencil. I am not sure how to well that is controlled. But again, once you allow for someone’s own interpretation you loose that set standard.

The role of the cast member is simply that a role, in which they play are part in the show. You are hired to play that part, which come with standards and guidelines, if you do not wish to follow those guidelines, then find someplace else to work.

Lowing the Disney look standards, will only eventually lead to lower standards in the parks. The Disney difference, the things that made/make Disney stand out and allow for the “extra” cost at the ticket booths worth it, are slowly slipping away.
There is no longer the Disney difference. Yesterday proved that.

Animaniac93-98

The PR department worked overtime to concoct Josh’s quotes in a way that imply if you disagree with the new policy, you must be a horrible, awful, no-good scumbag who hates people and diversity and children and puppy dogs and inclusion and kitty cats and pixie dust and unicorns.

That mindset has replaced "Disneyland will never be complete" as their go to justification for any change they make to the parks.

Chi84

Premium Member
Sorry buddy, I’ve got to agree here. I’m not part of that crowd, and I strongly disagree with the new changes.

When people agreed to work for Disney, they agreed to follow the “Disney Look.” They could dress however they wanted on their own time, and the standards already allowed for most religious and cultural requirements.

Most of these new allowances are ridiculous. Does someone really need to be allowed to have black fingernail polish to feel like a “person”? It’s called a dress code at work. At work. You agreed to follow these rules before you took the job.

They are following the “Disney look.” Its right there in the new policy. Disney decided to update its look. The people objecting apparently don’t like the Disney look. The upside of owning a company is that you get to decide these things.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom