New Center Stage at Disney's Hollywood Studios

DDLand

I'm not talking theory, I'm talking real world experience. It's a limitation we run into constantly. I have many friends and colleagues who have worked on and continue to work on the Olympics and other major events - they run into the same issues. Contractors can come to Orlando or Anaheim all they want, but there are a limited number of companies that TWDC or Universal will work with, and only after assessing the capabilities of the company to make sure they are not going to leave a project hanging or injure someone.
Whoa, usually people just blame slower construction on not throwing enough money at the project. It seems it's much more fundamental. I'm sure money helps though.

articos

Whoa, usually people just blame slower construction on not throwing enough money at the project. It seems it's much more fundamental. I'm sure money helps though.
There is a component of lowest bidder, which means things can go slower, but more often it's scheduling and logistics and bureaucracy of getting through the system.

Disneyhead'71

Uni is using a large amount of local resources, along with Springs, AvLand, RoL, DAK, MK, Epcot, Y&BC, some back of house stuff for both resorts and other items to come.
Not to mention Orlando is in a HUGE building boom. Stuff is under construction everywhere.

As much as Orlando is busted on by folks, we are rocking right now. We have more available jobs than any city in the country. And no, they aren't all making beds in hotels. Construction is the most in need. And tech jobs are exploding here.

RayTheFirefly

Not to mention Orlando is in a HUGE building boom. Stuff is under construction everywhere.

As much as Orlando is busted on by folks, we are rocking right now. We have more available jobs than any city in the country. And no, they aren't all making beds in hotels. Construction is the most in need. And tech jobs are exploding here.
Know anyone hiring a project manager? Lol. :geek:

Goofyernmost

I browse occasionally, but most companies state they are looking for locals only, which is annoying!
Move there??? Disney itself has pretty much the same criteria or at least it used to have. Basically you could apply but unless you had a local address they were not inclined to call you in for an interview. They didn't like to waste their time interviewing people that went back home and made the announcement that they were going to go to Florida and were met with a family of crickets, just looking at them like they were insane. Ultimately, they would contact Disney and say that they were unable to move.

So if you want a job in the area or at Disney, move there and your chances are actually pretty good.

RayTheFirefly

Move there??? Disney itself has pretty much the same criteria or at least it used to have. Basically you could apply but unless you had a local address they were not inclined to call you in for an interview. They didn't like to waste their time interviewing people that went back home and made the announcement that they were going to go to Florida and were met with a family of crickets, just looking at them like they were insane. Ultimately, they would contact Disney and say that they were unable to move.

So if you want a job in the area or at Disney, move there and your chances are actually pretty good.
Well, I understand why the businesses would feel that way. But it's not easy for everyone to move with no job prospect beforehand.

cosmicray

latest

Just took this today. They took away the planters from the front. Sadly, I did not realize my picture did not include the bottom, until now, since I was being bumped and rushed along. But it looks very temporary, nothing was built into the ground. They were showing May the 4th clips on the information screen attached to the building to the left of the stage since there are no TVs on the stage right now.

Attachments

• IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 326

wdwgreek

Just took this today. They took away the planters from the front. Sadly, I did not realize my picture did not include the bottom, until now, since I was being bumped and rushed along. But it looks very temporary, nothing was built into the ground. They were showing May the 4th clips on the information screen attached to the building to the left of the stage since there are no TVs on the stage right now.
This is temporary right, we are collectively pretty sure this is a retractable stage? Please please please <3

wdwgreek

If by retractable you mean it will be up until September, then completely torn down, then put up again for NYE, torn down again, (wash, rinse, repeat) then yes.
ah, that's not quite retractable, just temporary. But by Disney's definition of temporary means it'll be up for ten years.

Next Big Thing

ah, that's not quite retractable, just temporary. But by Disney's definition of temporary means it'll be up for ten years.
This is a stage they've used every year for years and years now for various events. Nothing to worry about it being permanent (it actually HAS TO come down every once in awhile), but unless they move it to a different area when they get going with a park expansion, this will be here this time of year every year for the near future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom