New Center Stage at Disney's Hollywood Studios

NormC

We get an awesome view of the theater only to be blocked by an ugly stage.
94.gif
30.gif
I don't think so. Any stage will either be the moveable one they always use or a low platform much like the one the pin store sat on.

G00fyDad

I don't think so. Any stage will either be the moveable one they always use or a low platform much like the one the pin store sat on.

And when they have a "show" every other day the rigging will be up and in the way. :( Yes, I know. I am being pessimistic. Disney has trained me to be that way though.

ToTBellHop

The crowds that gather, the actors on the stage...
Not to mention the audio and pyro intrusions.

Shows belong in theaters.
Certainly true for daytime shows, especially in Central Florida. It is asinine to have any daytime show at WDW that doesn't at least provide a roof, though climate control is better.

The Castle show also has low production value. It is no where near the calibre of Nemo or FotLK. So we have a crappy show in blazing heat placed in an extremely crowded location, ruining atmosphere in the first land guests encounter in the park while closing off the largest landmark in the park so that most guests push past as quickly as possible instead of actually looking at the castle. Basically, changes over the last 20 years have turned MSUSA and the Castle into a crowded entryway to the park that guests must wade their way through in order to get to the real fun.

I fear a permanent stage in front of the Chinese Theatre will be the first step in the destruction of Hollywood Blvd. as a themed environment--in a park with plenty of available stages away from the blazing sun. Star Wars fans and Frozen fanatics where go wherever the park map tells them to go; it doesn't have to be front and center in the park, hiding a ride and destroying any 1930s atmosphere.

GetAPaperBag

I think the show in front of the castle is cute. However, standing in front of that castle with absolutely no shade, to watch the show, is definitely not worth it.

If you can't take 20 minutes in the sun, maybe Disney World and Florida isn't for you. Also, when I've been there the castle show is PACKED. So I'd say most people think IT IS worth it.

ToTBellHop

You do realize these trees were not rooftops - and they didn't sit in front of the stage. I get the tree debate but it's not like it was the Amazon on Main Street, either.
Right. I don't personally think there should be a show in front of the Castle at all. At the end of the day though, it is reasonably innocuous to me. I shuffle past to whatever ride I've prereserved.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
If you can't take 20 minutes in the sun, maybe Disney World and Florida isn't for you. Also, when I've been there the castle show is PACKED. So I'd say most people think IT IS worth it.
Comparatively speaking - 1,000 people in front of the castle watching the show; 50,000 at the same time NOT in front of the castle does not equal MOST people.

Cesar R M

Regardless- it's still popular. Not to mention the FoF parade.

The bottom line is- if you have an attraction worth seeing. People will see it. Trees, no trees. Doesn't matter.

You could have a terrible show with trees and it will still be sparsely attended- looking at you Pocahontas. (For the record, I didn't mind pocohontas- it's just an easy target :))

What's the alternative? Take the show away. I'm sure that'd go over well here :/
Like I said before- that show should stay and they should add other shows around the park. Liberty square and adventureland have two expansion spots that would be ideal for it. If only they'd do it...
I honestly see the liberty square area and the railroad area way more popular for seeing the parades than infront of the castle.

Nmoody1

I honestly see the liberty square area and the railroad area way more popular for seeing the parades than infront of the castle.

maybe so that you can watch the parade and head to an attraction when its done ahead of the folks on main street... plus you are a little like a salmon swimming upstream walking up main street after the parade, with masses of people heading out and leaving

Chicagoshannon2

You do realize these trees were not rooftops - and they didn't sit in front of the stage. I get the tree debate but it's not like it was the Amazon on Main Street, either.
I don't think I said anything about trees. As far as I know there were never large trees in the castle forecourt. This is about the stage in front of the castle. There is no shade there so it's not my favorite spot to stand and watch a show. I've also stood in front of the "temporary" stage that was in front of the hat to watch dd participate in the Star Wars trivia show. That was not fun either.

These shows just don't need to be out in the blazing sun. The a Star Wars show could easily be indoors. The castle show is a little trickier because there is currently no other place for it. The old Tomorrowland stage would have been decent but that isn't an option anymore.

matt9112

The issue with stages is that doing a show on x spot is fine...but when you build all this permanent infastructure that destroys sight lines and astetics. The castle stage in terms of large area to do a show is fine what isn't fine are the large arch things and other intrusive elements further more when no show is present the area should blend into the general area for guest use.

dgp602

Hello all! Loving all the pointed discussions. But quick question, and I can't seem to find the answer. What does the BOH site and future stage location look like now?

Thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom