New Cast Costumes at HWS

Jon81uk

The garage isn't big enough. It's used quite a bit already - I think - for cast working in animation.

Then my next hypothetical question, when the old animation building is re-used as theme park space and the office working cast members move to another location outside the park, would that not change things, making the garage either redundant or available for theme park cast?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In theory when animation goes most of those parking in the garage will go too.

It won't be used for day to day parking through as things stand since it's inside the park security perimeter.

And then I dare say it'll sit empty until the land is needed. Or they take a leaf out of Comcast's book and use it for Mario Cart...

P_Radden

Really they have a lot of real estate to work with when you include the parking deck, animation, back stage areas and the Sunset pad:
DHS animation PAD.png

This has to be at least 15 acres right? They could do one big land or multiple mini lands down the road when they do decide to redevelop this area.

DHSCM

The garage isn't big enough. It's used quite a bit already - I think - for cast working in animation.
Yes you are correct, the parking garage is actually normally always just about full as the animation CMs use it as well as area leaders and other misc. The television lot is for the lower tier of CMs and the higher tier basically park backstage, aside from the garage there is actually alot of parking backstage around the animation building as well as directly behind the RnRc sound stage.

RSoxNo1

Really they have a lot of real estate to work with when you include the parking deck, animation, back stage areas and the Sunset pad:
View attachment 192260

This has to be at least 15 acres right? They could do one big land or multiple mini lands down the road when they do decide to redevelop this area.
San Fransokyo Institute of Technology? Is that an old photo when Hiro and Baymax where in the Animation building?

Next Big Thing

Yes you are correct, the parking garage is actually normally always just about full as the animation CMs use it as well as area leaders and other misc. The television lot is for the lower tier of CMs and the higher tier basically park backstage, aside from the garage there is actually alot of parking backstage around the animation building as well as directly behind the RnRc sound stage.
Which can all be moved should they be motivated enough to do so.

roj2323

View attachment 192260

This is a prime example of the Issues I have with armchair engineering. While a lot of the space within the Blue polygon can be converted to guest space in some fashion, there are still operational needs that will need the be met with backstage buildings. Within your loosely drawn line you have 3 operations buildings, the multi story Animation building, a multi story parking garage, 4 dumpster locations, special events storage, Take 5 (the cast cafeteria), as well as the entirety of the Show ready Custodial department. Now it's true that all of this can be moved but only at enormous expense. If TDO does decide to go with connecting TSL to Coaster courtyard The Animation building will go or get massively remodeled, Take 5/Disney Junior, OMD and Mermaid will go. Brown derby will have to go because the kitchen is in Take 5/Disney Junior and so on. Basically we are talking about another Massive chunk of the park that would have to change Which isn't out of the realm of possibility but it would be another 3/4 of a billion dollars to do it so it's highly unlikely in the next 10-15 years. If you want to armchair engineer you would be much better off exploring the Echo lake, Indy area as TDO is already making some moves to relocate costuming as well as modifying underground utilities in the current cast parking lot.

Photo for clarity
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 1.49.51 AM.png

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is a prime example of the Issues I have with armchair engineering. While a lot of the space within the Blue polygon can be converted to guest space in some fashion, there are still operational needs that will need the be met with backstage buildings. Within your loosely drawn line you have 3 operations buildings, the multi story Animation building, a multi story parking garage, 4 dumpster locations, special events storage, Take 5 (the cast cafeteria), as well as the entirety of the Show ready Custodial department. Now it's true that all of this can be moved but only at enormous expense. If TDO does decide to go with connecting TSL to Coaster courtyard The Animation building will go or get massively remodeled, Take 5/Disney Junior, OMD and Mermaid will go. Brown derby will have to go because the kitchen is in Take 5/Disney Junior and so on. Basically we are talking about another Massive chunk of the park that would have to change Which isn't out of the realm of possibility but it would be another 3/4 of a billion dollars to do it so it's highly unlikely in the next 10-15 years. If you want to armchair engineer you would be much better off exploring the Echo lake, Indy area as TDO is already making some moves to relocate costuming as well as modifying underground utilities in the current cast parking lot.

Photo for clarity
View attachment 192462
Animation (the whole complex) already has plans for the relocation of those affected and its removal. Theyre currently stalled.

This is just for that one area. I don't believe any serious plans have been looked at to loop to Sunset. As it stands that is a non issue.

Next Big Thing

Photo for clarity
View attachment 192462
It matters none about the offices in the Animation building. Offices can ALWAYS be moved if there's enough money to be made.

roj2323

It matters none about the offices in the Animation building. Offices can ALWAYS be moved if there's enough money to be made.
Yes offices can be moved but they have to be moved somewhere and currently there's no where else for them to go without the construction of a new office building of significant size. I suppose they could replace Ops 1 and 2 with a new building (north of the parking garage) but that would mean 50+ million to build at least a 3 story office building that's just as large as the parking garage to replace not only the offices and training space in Ops 1&2 but also the 4 training bungalows that got bulldozed as well as the offices within the feature animation building. Now I'm not saying they won't do it but between the construction cost and the demolition cost of the other buildings it's just a ton of money I do not see Disney spending without a darn good reason to.

HauntedMansionFLA

You are correct. There is a lot to work with over by the Echo Lake area. Wasn't that where SWL was originally going at first before the shift to the SOA area?

image.jpg

Photo for clarity
View attachment 192462

Next Big Thing

Yes offices can be moved but they have to be moved somewhere and currently there's no where else for them to go without the construction of a new office building of significant size. I suppose they could replace Ops 1 and 2 with a new building (north of the parking garage) but that would mean 50+ million to build at least a 3 story office building that's just as large as the parking garage to replace not only the offices and training space in Ops 1&2 but also the 4 training bungalows that got bulldozed as well as the offices within the feature animation building. Now I'm not saying they won't do it but between the construction cost and the demolition cost of the other buildings it's just a ton of money I do not see Disney spending without a darn good reason to.
Like I said, if there's enough money to be made, it will happen.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, September 2. If I recall previous plans mentioned here, a new Hollywood Studios cast costume building was to be built at the edge of the park, where the old parking access road was located. In the below photo, steel beams are now in place for that proposed building. View is from the current entrance road, just past the parking kiosk. This area is behind the Star Tours attraction building.

IMG_0027.JPG

Goofyernmost

Could've/should've been reserved for expansion, sigh.
They can expand no matter what they decide or what stays or goes. It's all in motivation. The costuming is a pretty important place to have and without it there would be a real good chance that they couldn't really have a great SWL without it. Those backstage places are there for a reason and mostly very good reasons, they are there to support onstage. Without them there is no onstage. It's like saying that my car would go a lot faster and would be lighter if I didn't have an engine in it. That big oily thing under the hood is invisible, but, it wouldn't be a car without it. So in other words, there is no reason to "sigh", because without it there would be nothing at all.

Herbie

They can expand no matter what they decide or what stays or goes. It's all in motivation. The costuming is a pretty important place to have and without it there would be a real good chance that they couldn't really have a great SWL without it. Those backstage places are there for a reason and mostly very good reasons, they are there to support onstage. Without them there is no onstage. It's like saying that my car would go a lot faster and would be lighter if I didn't have an engine in it. That big oily thing under the hood is invisible, but, it wouldn't be a car without it. So in other words, there is no reason to "sigh", because without it there would be nothing at all.

Trust me, I'm aware of the importance of costuming. My only concern is this area (see Echo Lake Refurbishment post) strikes my interest and needs work pronto, along with Animation Courtyard. I know it's not going to get it tomorrow, but my point stands.

Goofyernmost

Trust me, I'm aware of the importance of costuming. My only concern is this area (see Echo Lake Refurbishment post) strikes my interest and needs work pronto, along with Animation Courtyard. I know it's not going to get it tomorrow, but my point stands.
Your point stands that Echo Lake needs a bit of love, however, building something necessary for what they are currently constructing is not a bad thing nor is it taking away from other projects. That is done by management not by necessity. Hell will have frozen over before they are broke.

wdrive

I may have misunderstood what you are talking about but demolishing the current costuming building would allow them more expansion room in the Echo Lake/Indy area. The current building is the middle building with a green roof at the backside of the Indiana Jones theater. The new costuming building is being built further away from Echo Lake.

Movielover

The new costuming building is being built further away from Echo Lake.

Not only that but isn't this new CM costume building being built near the new CM parking lot in a area that is blocked off by the Alcatraz building and the entrance road, thus limiting the area's use as a attraction expansion spot?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom