New Camera Pictures I would like to share with you all

Micasso

Original Poster
This is my first time posting... I recently started work as a school photographer and was given a new camera to play with, so I decided to take it up to disney world.... granted I still have alot to learn about this camera, being that I've never even worked with an slr before, but i decided to post my favorite shots from the day...enjoy

Started the day off at AK.. so i decided it would be a good time to practice some nature shots...

DSC_0435.jpg
DSC_0597.jpg
DSC_0498.jpg
DSC_0528.jpg
DSC_0463.jpg
DSC_0459.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0579.jpg
DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0566.jpg

more to come...

LSUxStitch

Anyone can take pictures ... its the 'eye' for photography that makes you stand out. In my opinion, you put your subject at the center too often. Try and move it to right or left, it adds something to the composition. I am in no way a photographer, nor do I have a camera of your status, but here is an example.

CIMG1736.jpg

RayLaVeau

Beautiful Resolutions! ...But ya...just from the experience of a Designer myself, just try not to make the subject in the center, try the rule of thirds in your compositions and it will shine!
Left or right, some perspective etc...look it up and see what Im talking about ( the rule thing) anyway no offense man Im jealous myself, I need a new camera my self, Like I Said awesome clarity, just remembenr to think artsy fartsy ...lol
Have a good one
R

C&D

If you haven't already viewed the "WDW Picture of the Day" thread (in this forum) do yourself a favor and check it out. There is great diversity of picture taking styles from professional to snap shots. You'll soon be able to glean out the excellent photographers, and by studying their format/layout, should be able to see what works and what doesn't.

The Mom

Premium Member
There's a difference between constructive critcism and being a miserable complainer. IMO, other posters were just trying to be helpful, and did not intend to attack the OP in any way.

The OP mentioned being hired/given a position where a certain degree of professionalism is expected, and people were trying to give him/her suggestions on how to make the photos look more polished.

Dayma

Thanks for being negative... it helps keep the streak of this place being full of miserable complainers alive! :wave:

Honestly I do not think that he was being very negative. If you are into art,especially in college you are going to get a lot of opinions on your art (pics). It kinda goes with the territory. I went to school for art and business so I know how it feels. It takes some getting used to but you will become better at your art if you start understanding what other people see also. This is not to say that you should ever change your methods but to understand what other's see is a very hard but positive thing to do.

Not sure this helps at all...

RiversideBunny

I think you have a unique perspective and you use light well.
Your pictures have an artistic quality rather than being just the normal 'Here's something at Disney World' type.

Very nice.
:)

DizWiz

Thanks for sharing. The Nikon D70 is a very nice camera and it has a lot of great features. You're doing the right thing by experimenting with the camera and getting used to it.

Besides the Picture of the Day thread on this site, another good resource is a couple of the Flickr pools:

Disney Theme Parks Best Shots
Disney After Dark
Rate My: Disney Shot

There are MANY other Disney pools on Flickr (I am subscribed to 39 Disney pools in my RSS reader). I use these pools to see what other people are taking shots of, and how they're doing it. A helpful tool is the EXIF information that is listed for each shot. By reviewing this information, you can see the settings used on the camera for that particular shot. It surely helps me with my photography and learning how to use my camera (Nikon D50).

Obviously you won't be taking many Disney shots at school, but I've found that Disney is a great place to learn how to take photos, since there are so many different things to take pictures of (people, action, buildings, night, etc.).

Good luck with your job as school photographer. I am looking forward to seeing more photos from you.

Laura

Micasso, I think the thing your photos are missing is emotion. You've got a waterfall, some leaves and brush, a tree, a monkey's butt, and some signs, none of which leave a person feeling anything when they look at the photos.

There's a huge difference between capturing an image and capturing a moment. Anyone can go around and take photos of objects, but it takes someone with a good photographic eye to be able to pull emotion from plain old objects and convey that to an audience. For instance, look at your photo from Everest - what emotion do you feel looking at that? I really don't feel anything. But had you composed it with the rollercoaster (out of focus) in the background it would have made more of an impact.

You need to be more creative with your camera angles, your depth of field, and your exposure to add something.

Some things to keep in mind for next time:

Subject - When you compose your shot you need to think "what am I capturing here?" If you look at your first photo there's really no subject, nothing to draw your eye to.

Lighting - Your photos appear to be taken during mid-day. The lighting is really harsh at this time. In the picture of the Africa sign you can see how the partial shade, partial sun is very distracting. A better time to snap photos is just before sunset. Everything will have a nice, soft glow to it without any shadows. You can also see how washed out your Tree of Life photo was from too much sunlight.

Composition - Look at your photos from the Animal Kingdom entrance. The bottom of the elephant is cut off and then the top half of the photo is nothing but plain blue sky. Try to compose your shots to fill the frame a little better.

Focus - Make sure the subject of your photo is the thing in focus. In your photo of the monkey, it would have been a much better photo if the monkey's face was in focus instead of its butt. Another tip when photographing living things or statues of living things - you HAVE to get at least 1 of their eyes in the photo. The eyes should almost always be the thing in sharp focus. When someone's eyes aren't in focus or someone's eyes aren't in the photo it can be very distracting.

Depth of field - Try and use a more narrow depth of field in your photos so that only your subjects are in focus and the rest is blurred. (You do this by standing back and zooming in). Depth of field will make your photos feel more "3D" instead of so flat.

Hope that helps. Keep on trying! The more you do it, the more of an eye you'll get for it if you're passionate about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom