News New Buses Debut With Features to Better Accommodate ECV/Wheelchair Users

lazyboy97o

Ideally, ECV’s wouldn’t be allowed on busses - only wheelchairs. It slows up the lines considerably and takes away capacity from people that truly need those spaces.
Because people in an ECV could never truly need those spaces? What you’re proposing is illegal as electric scooters are effectively considered to be wheelchairs.

I cant agree more. Not to mention having an ECV pushes them and their entire party to the front of the line for buses. That is insane.
And pushes them to the back of the line to get off.

TrainsOfDisney

Because people in an ECV could never truly need those spaces? What you’re proposing is illegal as electric scooters are effectively considered to be wheelchairs.
If someone needs an ECV they get a tag like the “stroller = wheelchair” tag - and they are treated as though the ECV is a wheelchair.

If it’s just an ECV rental for convenience - they do not get the same advantages.

That doesn’t seem like it should be a controversial opinion lol.

peter11435

If someone needs an ECV they get a tag like the “stroller = wheelchair” tag - and they are treated as though the ECV is a wheelchair.

If it’s just an ECV rental for convenience - they do not get the same advantages.

An ECV doesn’t need a special tag to be treated as a wheelchair. It is a wheelchair and by law it must be treated as such.

Goofyernmost

Nice to see the improvements for ECVs but I wish they could come up with a more efficient way of loading and unloading them.
Almost all new buses being built today have the single fold out ramp and the buses all knell so that the degree of entry is pretty level with the ground/curb. So that means quicker, safer and less likely to break down way to load and unload a chair or scooter. What take the time is securing the person and the devise in a way that will be safe while in motion. Unless there is something like the "cone of silence" or mechanical arms that hold the person and machine in place that will continue to be a problem.

It might have said it someplace the I missed but I can't tell if that means more will/can be loaded at the same time or if it configured so that it is just more room for easy maneuvering which in itself would speed up the process. To me it still looks like only two spaces per vehicle like it has been in the past.

WoundedDreamer

Nice to see the improvements for ECVs but I wish they could come up with a more efficient way of loading and unloading them.
100% And these technologies exist. Certain mass-transit systems have methods of steering a bus close to platforms with a high level of precision. This allows at-level boarding without kneeling or use of ramps. Implementation would be expensive, but it would speed things up measurably to be able to just roll on wheelchairs, ECVs, and strollers. The ramp is so slow and cumbersome. It would represent a nice improvement.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

There is little about an ECV that is "convenient". Do some rent them to try and get special treatment? Sure. But most have them because they need then, whatever the reason may be. I spent a lot of time convincing my dad to finally rent one in 2007 (our last family trip together before he died), because otherwise he wasn't going to be able to spend more than 3-4 hours in the park due to pain in his legs and feet. My mom needs one because of knee problems. I don't consider either of those situations "convenient".

While I could see Disney imposing a limit to the number of additional guests that get to board with an ECV, nothing else is going to change.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I am surprised they haven’t come out with alternative transportation vehicles for ecv/wheelchair guests to make it easier/quicker for them and their family. Maybe shared/on-demand for resorts in different areas? I guess that might be a lawsuit waiting and could be more costly but seems like there are ways they could make it better for all

castlecake2.0

I am surprised they haven’t come out with alternative transportation vehicles for ecv/wheelchair guests to make it easier/quicker for them and their family. Maybe shared/on-demand for resorts in different areas? I guess that might be a lawsuit waiting and could be more costly but seems like there are ways they could make it better for all
Something like this at pop/are could be helpful, those resorts seem to have the most ECVs

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Disney needs a RO-RO ECV solution that would run from resort to resort to park on a continual basis. A small flatbed could accommodate 15-20 ECVs at a time.

lazyboy97o

Because a big part of state and federal accessibility legislation is that those with disabilities are not to be separated out from the general population.

Goofyernmost

Disney needs a RO-RO ECV solution that would run from resort to resort to park on a continual basis. A small flatbed could accommodate 15-20 ECVs at a time.
Can you imagine how long it would take to tie down that many ECV/Wheelchairs, etc. so that no one would tip over or fall over. Then lets think about what happens even now. You cannot put more of them on the bus that you cannot unload in case of an emergency (fire or something) that is another reason why they may still be restricted to Two a bus because filled with people and attempting to get the ECV's out of danger just isn't possible. So I guess it becomes a "to hell with it let them die they are useless anyway" type of attitude. It is so sad that people cannot think past their own wants and care about the plight of others especially for something as unimportant as a theme park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom