News New Buses Debut With Features to Better Accommodate ECV/Wheelchair Users

Sectorkeeper71

While I could see Disney imposing a limit to the number of additional guests that get to board with an ECV, nothing else is going to change.
I believe they already do so you can’t board say a whole party of 12 with an ecv. I forget what the limit is, and who knows if it’s actually enforced consistently

Sectorkeeper71

Several attractions have separate lines and boarding areas for ECV’s and wheelchairs.
I certainly don’t know the legislation by heart, but separate entrances and boarding areas is accommodating different needs, not saying “if you’re in a wheel chair you can’t ride this ride, you have to ride your own”.

Also a lot of older rides that predate ADA legislation that were grandfathered in

TrainsOfDisney

I certainly don’t know the legislation by heart, but separate entrances and boarding areas is accommodating different needs, not saying “if you’re in a wheel chair you can’t ride this ride, you have to ride your own”.
As long as there is a bus that takes them where they want to go - I’m not sure why there would be an issue.

I know in California they have separate buses that serve the Toy Story lot. It’s the same physical buses, but one set boards wheelchairs and ECV’s and one does not - that saves time and keeps the lines moving.

Obviously it’s a bit more tricky with so many resorts so I’m not sure how it could easily work.

Chi84

Premium Member
As long as there is a bus that takes them where they want to go - I’m not sure why there would be an issue.

I know in California they have separate buses that serve the Toy Story lot. It’s the same physical buses, but one set boards wheelchairs and ECV’s and one does not - that saves time and keeps the lines moving.

Obviously it’s a bit more tricky with so many resorts so I’m not sure how it could easily work.
Do you mean they separate parties so that wheelchair users take one bus and the rest take a different bus?

peter11435

Several attractions have separate lines and boarding areas for ECV’s and wheelchairs.
Only older attractions have separate lines. Newer attractions have lines that are designed to be accessible and keep everyone together. A separate boarding area may be provided for accommodations but they are still able to go through largely the same queue and the same attraction.

ToTBellHop

Because people in an ECV could never truly need those spaces? What you’re proposing is illegal as electric scooters are effectively considered to be wheelchairs.

And pushes them to the back of the line to get off.
Of course, the family they cut in front of who doesn’t even get on the bus is pushed back even further.

It is outrageous to allow a family of 12 to cut the line because Mahmaw needs a scooter. The best is when they park her scooter and she gets out of it to take another seat. :rolleyes:

I believe the sign at the bus stops says only 6 people can go with the ECV. Never once seen that enforced.

As for separate buses, not every boat from the MK resorts allows wheelchairs. So it clearly is not mandatory that every vehicle accommodate them.

Last edited:

Lirael

And pushes them to the back of the line to get off.
That doesn't make up for them getting in first though. Because they board in first, they often end up getting on buses they wouldn't if they were in a regular line, and thus pushing out someone who had been queueing for longer from getting on. So "but they get off laaaaast" is in no way equal to having priority boarding

LittleBuford

It is outrageous to allow a family of 12 to cut the line because Mahmaw needs a scooter. The best is when they park her scooter and she gets out of it to take another seat. :rolleyes:
Needing a scooter and being able to walk short distances aren’t mutually exclusive.

Breaking groups up to punish someone for needing a scooter strikes me as very mean-spirited and unnecessary.

TrainsOfDisney

One year during new years they had ECV’s and wheelchairs wait in the regular line and then they pulled them over to the ECV area when they reached the front. This was during peak crowds of course.

Indy_UK

Im not familiar with US law in the slightest but I am surprised they don't provide buses for ECV/ Wheelchair users and their families that could potentially take more of them separately and more conformably to the monsoon of guests when leaving the parks.

I guess Skyliner and to a greater extent, the Monorail and Boats don't quite have the same issue

JoeCamel

Im not familiar with US law in the slightest but I am surprised they don't provide buses for ECV/ Wheelchair users and their families that could potentially take more of them separately and more conformably to the monsoon of guests when leaving the parks.

I guess Skyliner and to a greater extent, the Monorail and Boats don't quite have the same issue
We had a thing in the 60's called "equal but separate" that killed any notion of separating disabled from general pop

Section106

Needing a scooter and being able to walk short distances aren’t mutually exclusive.

Breaking groups up to punish someone for needing a scooter strikes me as very mean-spirited and unnecessary.
This. Someone's disability is no one else's business. Being disabled, even slightly, is no fun!

My wife is a 100% Total and Permanent Disabled Veteran and wheelchair bound due to her service connected injuries. I never realized how difficult it is to maneuver through this world in a wheelchair until she needed one full time. And the amount of ableist people that think it ok to push her out of the way is astounding. No one would dare push me out of the way but folks think nothing of grabbing her chair as if she is just a piece of furniture.

Folks, disabled people are PEOPLE! They have every right to the same accommodations as everyone else. If you get left at the bus stop because of a disabled person please remember that that person has faced challenges most of us will never know just to get to the bus stop. And another bus is already on the way anyway, you bunch of babies.

LittleBuford

This. Someone's disability is no one else's business. Being disabled, even slightly, is no fun!

My wife, a 100% Total and Permanent Disabled Veteran and is wheelchair bound due to her service connected injuries. I never realized how difficult it is to maneuver through this world in a wheelchair until she needed one full time. And the amount of ableist people that think it ok to push her out of the way is astounding. No one would dare push me out of the way but folks think nothing of grabbing her chair as if she is just a piece of furniture.

Folks, disabled people are PEOPLE! They have every right to the same accommodations as everyone else. If you get left at the bus stop because of a disabled person please remember that that person has faced challenges most of us will never know just to get to the bus stop. And another bus is already on the way anyway, you bunch of babies.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I’m really sorry your wife has had to deal with such behaviour. There’s no excuse for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom