News New Buses Debut With Features to Better Accommodate ECV/Wheelchair Users

Vegas Disney Fan

I wish they’d move the door by the driver and put it behind the front wheel, that way they could use the “front” door to load chairs/ecvs while simultaneously using the rear door to load the back of the bus, it would speed up the whole process. I think part of the frustration with so many ecvs is that it slows everything down when people are tired and just want to sit down themselves.

There’s no perfect solution so efficiency is the only real option, hopefully these new restraints will speed up the process, I think the door situation is another option to speed up the process.

DisneyFanatic12

Back when they ran TTC busses from MK, they’d often have an ADA line and a regular line. Sometimes the extra space and standing room on the ADA bus was filled with other guests, while other times the bus was left full of only guests with disabilities and their parties.

Either way, not very applicable to most bus lines, but for the TTC line that had almost constant busses entering and leaving, the process was extremely efficient.

Section106

There’s no perfect solution so efficiency is the only real option, hopefully these new restraints will speed up the process, I think the door situation is another option to speed up the prprocess.
From the pictures this looks like an efficiency upgrade. I have a lot of experience with the old procedure and each driver did it a little different. From driving the ecv/wheelchair into position to securing the hooks and then tightening the belts it could take a long time.

Now the passenger backs in, an arm is lowered into position and a seatbelt is put on. It should be very user friendly and fast.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I never said anything about disabled people - I said those renting an ECV for convenience.
I think you're greatly overestimating the "convenience" of riding an ECV all day at Disney. Where the switchbacks are so tight that crashing is easy, crowds are so dense they can be tough to navigate even walking, and they get dirty looks from random guests who just think they're lazy. And paying $70 a day for the privilege. All for the benefit of what? Sometimes slightly better seating at Finding Nemo the Musical, a place to hang a backpack that is not a back, and possibly getting on the first bus instead of the second?

I absolutely can't imagine there is a large amount of people getting ECVs just for funsies. Much less enough to have a serious impact on Disney transportation

MagicHappens1971

That’s all they have to say to get that red tag? Figured they had to give a reason but what do I know.
They may have to provide examples as to why they need to the accommodation, but that is all that is required per ADA guidelines. Same for a DAS pass, not my child has autism, or I have anxiety, or etc, etc... all they can / will ask for is, what accommodations do you need/ what prevents you from waiting in a standard queue.

cranbiz

Stroller as a wheelchair is more than just asking for the tag. There are standards that the stroller are supposed to meet to qualify. They used to be checked for compliance and you could easily tell a stroller that was certified VS. the standard stroller.

Back when I was driving, I would challenge those who claimed it was a wheelchair but didn't have a tag. If they had a tag but if they didn't have solid tie down points, it had to be folded. Bus management back then would support the driver if we had to make that decision. In 5 years, I only had to do it a handful of times. The only guest that complained to a manager was one going to SSR from MK and wouldn't fold her stroller because the little person was sleeping. Perhaps telling her that she had the option of folding the stroller with her kid in it wasn't the best way to put it but she wouldn't listen to the other 10 times I explained it to her. My manager heard her out and when ask asked what he was going to do, he gave her the option of not riding the bus, removing Jr. from the stroller and ride or fold the stroller with Jr. in it and ride. I loved that guy.

At one point, there was a Nova set up for 5 wheelchairs and their families. It was available on special call or could be scheduled by a guest. Not sure if they still have it, modified a new Gillig for more than 2 wheelchairs or decided against doing it any more.

DCBaker

Premium Member
A few more details on the new buses:

"Ninety new buses are making their way from Livermore, California, to Walt Disney World. They’re not driving all at once, though depending on when they come off the line at Gillig, the manufacturer, they may travel in clusters, albeit slowly.

“They take five or six days to cross the country,” said Disney’s Vice President of Transportation Operations Mark Natter. “They're driving at a pretty conservative speed.”

Guests will notice the new and updated wraps featuring fan-favorite characters and stories like Chip ‘n’ Dale, Orange Bird, Figment, 101 Dalmatians, Ratatouille and Zootopia. Natter said the illustrations were chosen by Disney’s creative team based on what’s currently resonating with guests.

Disney closely tracks the performance of its fleet of 420 buses, said Natter, and replaces them based on age and condition. This is the first post-Covid mass replacement, he said. The new buses will replace 90 old ones.

Disney got a spot in the 2024 production line — it is one customer among many across the United States — for standard 40-foot, low-floor transit buses, said Natter. The themed entertainment company has the buses customized based on “the Disney point of view,” which mainly involves seating configurations.

"In this particular case, we've done something special with regards to guests with disabilities,” said Natter. "We'll be able to transport a maximum of three guests with disabilities versus the buses we currently have, which only can transport two. The spaces work for anything that will require ambulatory assistance, whether it’s a wheelchair, scooter or stroller carrying a child with special needs who wouldn't be able to move out of their stroller for the purposes of transport.”

Each bus has 29 regular seats with no seat belts, accommodating people of all heights and sizes. Each seat is equipped with a USB charging port — a first for Disney buses — and the buses also have Wi-Fi. The buses have internal combustion engines that take diesel fuel. Thirty of the buses are already in use with another 60 on the way."

IAYPJ3PD3BAL7MTUHR2JX6AJ5M.jpg

Article from the link below.

Last edited:
I know this isn’t a “sexy” announcement (which also would be welcome!), but it’s given me a really positive feeling. It should be able to be taken for granted, but I find myself now getting excited for ANY evidence of proactive maintenance and investments that directly impact the baseline services. That’s a big part of what feels diminished to me since I went to DW as a child and young adult. I’m not unique but no doubt in the minority in that I’d be fine with no new major additions for the next decade, if they could offer better maintenance, well-treated employees who are happier interfacing with the public, streetsmophere, better-running transportation. There’s something to the experience that is more than the sum of its parts. With respect to this particular announcement, it’s great if it adds more capacity and such for folks who need mobility devices. I hope the ADA is never stripped back the way, say, the Voting Rights Act has been in recent years. In any event Disney World is a bubble and the height of an artificial environment. Given that, it should absolutely strive to be the most inclusive environment possible, for all ages and mobilities! Otherwise, what’s the point?

Dcgc28

I saw a post on social media that put it well... Universal revealed an immersive, expansive theme park world... Disney revealed a rat bus.
I mean it's fair, but where was Universal when Disney announced Galaxys Edge and Toy Story Land? The companies are in competition with each other, but neither Disney or Universal comb the other companies announcements to make sure they push something the same exact day.

V_L_Raptor

I mean it's fair, but where was Universal when Disney announced Galaxys Edge and Toy Story Land? The companies are in competition with each other, but neither Disney or Universal comb the other companies announcements to make sure they push something the same exact day.

No one said they were, but in this case, the difference is stark. (Has been for a few years, now.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom