New bus route to Blizzard Beach testing later this month

doctornick

That kind of stinks. I could see combining resorts onto a dedicated BB route, but driving past BB only to board another bus to get back to it would make me a little stabby.

Yeah, this seems to make more sense to me. Have dedicated buses to/from DAK for each resort, but have buses go to multiple resorts for a direct bus to BB.

Unplugged

Since there are fewer guest going Downtown during the day and that plus both water parks are on the Buena Vista Dr., why not have a resort bus go to all 3 during the day? When the water parks close at dusk and more guest start heading Downtown, reroute the buses to direct Downtown routes?

The concept of changes buses at a theme park after having passed your stop is just absurd.

NewfieFan

Not sure how I feel about this!?! It won't add too much travel time for us because we're usually staying at Kidani (which is next door to AK anyway) but it would suck for other resort guests. There are many times the AK/BB pulls into BB and there's not a soul getting on or off.

It's interesting people bring up the swim attire issue. I don't have an issue getting on a bus to/from a water park with my swim wear on (the girls are wearing wraps and the boys have a swim shirt) but if I had to switch at a park I would feel weird in my swim wear. Doesn't make sense, but that's the way I feel. I believe TL makes you transfer at DTD if you're there at park closing. It only happened to us once (but we've only ever been at TL during closing once) but I felt odd at DTD in my swim wear waiting for my resort bus back.

harveyt0206

That's what we do. Have never paid more than $250 for a 10 - 12 day rental (less in off season).
And now, imagine the freedom you will have.
Tired of paying $2.50 or a Snack Credit for a bottle of RO water? You can get a whole case of spring water at Publix for 4 bucks. Grab a 12 pack of beer for $8 - outrageous prices for us Canadians!
If you're on site for 12 days and only have 10 day passes, you can do a day trip - to the beach, the Florida Mall, or eek . . . Universal Studios.
No more 40-60 minute waits for an over-crowded SRO bus back to your resort after the park closes. Heck, most nights, you'll be back in your room, have already had a swim and will be getting ready for another fun packed day just as your fellow hotel mates are getting in.
Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. Rental cars are the only way to go.
Now I just have to take that next step in the evolutionary process and get out of the on-site rut and start staying in a bigger, better, slightly off-site room, like Bonnet Creek. Maybe this year. I know that once I do, I will never again stay at POP. Or any other over-priced Disney room.

I find this really interesting. My Mom and I are taking a girls only trip in September. We are driving down and stopping at a few places along the way. This will be the first time I will have a car on property. I have heard so many people rave about the advantages of having your own car instead of using Disney transportation, and I certainly can see that benefit if you are ending your day at Epcot or Studios. My question, and concern is, how do you deal with having to catch the ferry or monorail in order to get to your car at the end of the night at MK? Those lines are always so incredibly long that it seems like we will be in the same predicament as those poor souls waiting for a bus.

James Barker

Why are they even testing this?
5r.jpg

luv

I'm guessing they're going to put in more transfers in order to get busses from one place to another quicker.

I just always consider transfers part of taking the bus.

I bet the shuttle from AK to BB runs often.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
My question, and concern is, how do you deal with having to catch the ferry or monorail in order to get to your car at the end of the night at MK? Those lines are always so incredibly long that it seems like we will be in the same predicament as those poor souls waiting for a bus.
The ferry/monorail is a hassle to be sure.
One evening, we dined at The Wave, and walked to MK for a couple of hours. Let the flames begin.
Another, was EMH, so we left about 1/2 way through, thereby avoiding the rush.
Most people would advise taking the buses to MK if possible, but my 9 year old niece was desperate to ride the monorail and the ferry, both of which we accomplished.

articos

I'm in the "why?" camp on this. Either have a dedicated water parks bus from the resorts that loops to both water parks and possibly DtD, or send the resorts to DtD and shuttle from DtD. Do the water parks on the half hour morning and night, and less frequently during off-peak hours. Can still run separate "express" directly to DtD without stopping on the :15 and 45 or something of the like. Don't mix the parks and the water parks. This seems like common sense, and the transportation planners are being unnecessarily complicated.

awhit066

Not liking the sound of this! I bus to work everyday and the worst experience is getting off bus 1 only to see bus 2 pull away with the next trip in 30mins! After a long day in the sun at BB I can only imagine how grumpy I would be to have to wait for 2 busses, but if the AK-BB shuttle is frequent enough it may be a non-issue.

However, a solution could be to have a button at the BB bus stop to signal a pick up. In my city we have a rarely used bus stop on an off/on ramp to the highway. If someone is down there waiting for a bus they press a button which lights up a signal on the side of the highway. As the bus approaches the exit the driver only has see if this signal is lit up or if someone on the bus has rung the bell to get off. If neither occur the bus stays on the highway and keeps going to the next stop. This way the bus drivers could avoid making the trip into BB only to find nobody is there!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Why are people about this?

If you don't like Disney's plan for your FREE transportation then rent a car.

ParentsOf4

Why are people about this?

If you don't like Disney's plan for your FREE transportation then rent a car.
Transportation is not "free". We pay for it in higher ticket prices and resort room rates.

I'm undecided on this one, trying to figure out whether, overall, this is a good thing or a bad thing. I enjoy reading other people's opinions on this topic because I'm trying to evaluate its overall impact.

If you don't want to read people's comments on the new BB bus system, I respectfully suggest you simply don't read this thread.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Transportation is not "free". We pay for it in higher ticket prices and resort room rates.

I'm undecided on this one, trying to figure out whether, overall, this is a good thing or a bad thing. I enjoy reading other people's opinions on this topic because I'm trying to evaluate its overall impact.

If you don't want to read people's comments on the new BB bus system, I respectfully suggest you simply don't read this thread.
Actually since everyone is entitled to the use of the Disney Transportation system it is considered a part of the package deal. If you don't like the line at one attraction, you are welcome to choose a different attraction. You are not required to use the transportation system if you so choose.

luv

I agree with you BUT in the world of Disney, if I'm paying big $$$ to stay on property I don't want to have to switch busses at all.
I understand that you'd like to get from where you are to where you want to be via a direct route. Unfortunately, that just isn't how busses work. Sometimes you have to transfer. It is just part of taking the bus.

If people really need to go directly to Blizzard Beach, get from DTD to a park or go from one hotel to another, a car rental (or cab ride) may be a better idea.

The busses aren't just for hotel guests. They are for day guests, too. Their use has nothing to do with how much you paid for your hotel, really.

I do understand that taking the bus is not all sunshine and lollipops. I really do. But we all have to make the decision about what we'd rather do - pay for cars/cabs or deal with the drawbacks of cheap (free at Disney!) transportation on the bus.

I really think the shuttle from AK to BB will run often.

djlaosc

I understand that you'd like to get from where you are to where you want to be via a direct route. Unfortunately, that just isn't how busses work. Sometimes you have to transfer. It is just part of taking the bus.

But it is how busses work at WDW.

As of right now, unless you are going from "hotel to hotel", "somewhere to ESPNWWOS", or from "MK to another theme park", it seems that WDW operates a "no transfer needed" system (there may be others I have forgotten). They are moving even closer to a "no transfer needed system" with the new bus stands at MK that are supposed to be for busses to take you from "MK to another theme park". And the hotels that are mostly used for ESPNWWOS events (All-Stars, Pop, CBR) are now supposed to have a "no transfer needed" bus to take you there now (otherwise you have to get the bus to DHS, and then to ESPNWWOS).

So, that leaves "hotel to hotel", and that's never going to change (although having someone driving around in the smaller Alamo pick-up busses to take you from hotel to hotel would be a great idea).

I have no idea when the combined DAK/BB bus was started, but it has been running for years (we used it in 2011, and probably 2007 and 2005 as well).

Surely with Next-Gen, there should be something in the bus stops that you should be able to say where you want to go - if no one wants to go to BB, and no one wants to be picked up from BB, then the bus driver doesn't need to go to BB. But, apart from that, then the bus should go to BB.

doctornick

The busses aren't just for hotel guests. They are for day guests, too. Their use has nothing to do with how much you paid for your hotel, really.

Is this actually true? While I don't care much one way or the other, I thought that the bus system is supposed to be just for guests staying at the resort. Day guests are expected to have their own transportation (i.e. a car) to get around the World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom