New Boats on Pirates

Jakester

I'm guessing that would be too dangerous for a ride that has drops like Pirates. Other boat rides that don't have drops have wheelchair boats such as Small World and The Land (not sure about Mexico). That's my guess as to why there isn't a wheelchair boat for Pirates.
Yes, Grand Fiesta has a wheelchair boat.

Yankee Mouse

I'm guessing that would be too dangerous for a ride that has drops like Pirates. Other boat rides that don't have drops have wheelchair boats such as Small World and The Land (not sure about Mexico). That's my guess as to why there isn't a wheelchair boat for Pirates.

You are right about the drops, but it doesn't have to be a complete wheelchair boat. Just something to replace stepping down into the boat and up out of the boat. That can be a difficult step for people who are at least able to transfer.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

It's only got one drop, and it ain't even big? .-.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The old ones looked like what... fiberglass for the benches?

These look very similar in materials to the IASW boats they used in Cali.

As for wheelchair boat.. I think the request would be so a person would only have to do a chair to chair transfer at the same level.. vs getting out, climbing in, climbing out, etc.

Tom

Beta Return
The old ones looked like what... fiberglass for the benches?

These look very similar in materials to the IASW boats they used in Cali.

As for wheelchair boat.. I think the request would be so a person would only have to do a chair to chair transfer at the same level.. vs getting out, climbing in, climbing out, etc.

This has sparked a question in my mind....how do immobile guests experience Pirates, or do they? ECV's and wheelchairs can't go up the speedramp at unload, and I don't think there's an elevator. I guess I've never in my life seen someone transferring at PotC. And given these parameters, I don't think a wheelchair boat is even worth addressing, given the inability to unload and leave the building safely on anything but feet.

Tom

Beta Return
Yea I gotchu. My OCD kicked in when I heard the word "dropS" :p my bad

Ha!

But really, I'm sure the wheelchairs are lashed down in the boats that do accept them - I've just never studied one in person. A sudden change in speed and direction of travel could still be dangerous for someone sitting up in a wheelchair. The center of gravity changes and there would be additional "thrashing" at the head-level of the guest.

Some rides just aren't meant to be accessible to everyone, and that's OK. If it goes upside down, it's not accessible to my "handicap" of motion sickness :hungover:

Yankee Mouse

This has sparked a question in my mind....how do immobile guests experience Pirates, or do they? ECV's and wheelchairs can't go up the speedramp at unload, and I don't think there's an elevator. I guess I've never in my life seen someone transferring at PotC. And given these parameters, I don't think a wheelchair boat is even worth addressing, given the inability to unload and leave the building safely on anything but feet.

My MIL isn't completely immobile, she can transfer and did for pirates, but walking from the entrance to the boats would be too much, so we wheeled her right down the the boat where she transferred. After the ride her wheelchair was there waiting for her. I don't remember how they got out, there was either an elevator, or a separate exit. I want to say there was an exit near the restroom, but I don't remember exactly. I went up the ramp.

But you are right, not all rides are able to be experienced by those in wheelchairs. Something that people who think that disabled individuals get advantages in the parks should remember.

Tom

Beta Return
My MIL isn't completely immobile, she can transfer and did for pirates, but walking from the entrance to the boats would be too much, so we wheeled her right down the the boat where she transferred. After the ride her wheelchair was there waiting for her. I don't remember how they got out, there was either an elevator, or a separate exit. I want to say there was an exit near the restroom, but I don't remember exactly. I went up the ramp.

But you are right, not all rides are able to be experienced by those in wheelchairs. Something that people who think that disabled individuals get advantages in the parks should remember.

Hmmm. Maybe there is an elevator behind a door down at unload. I've never paid any attention, or maybe it's just a door that says CM's only.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Would be nice if they had a little more leg room.

Yeah, I agree. I understand why they don't, but it sucks when you're 5'7 (and fancy yourself short) and your legs slam into the bench in front of you... it makes for an uncomfortable ride. Even worse is the Mexican pavilion ride (sorry, name is eluding me at the moment)

MerlinTheGoat

Ha!

But really, I'm sure the wheelchairs are lashed down in the boats that do accept them - I've just never studied one in person. A sudden change in speed and direction of travel could still be dangerous for someone sitting up in a wheelchair. The center of gravity changes and there would be additional "thrashing" at the head-level of the guest.

Some rides just aren't meant to be accessible to everyone, and that's OK. If it goes upside down, it's not accessible to my "handicap" of motion sickness :hungover:
I could be mistaken, but I don't remember the wheelchair boats having any sort of harness to keep them in place. My mom has used those handicap boats before a few times when she needed a wheelchair and I don't recall them having any sort of tethering. As far as I can remember, when riding Small World you just wheel the chair onto the boat and put the brake on.

We only did this a couple of times though as far as I recall. She told me she didn't feel entirely stable or safe even with the brake on. I think sitting so high in such a small and shallow boat (which already has a fair bit of sway to it due to the nature of boats) was disorienting and made her feel nervous. So even when she needs a wheelchair now, she gets out and uses a normal boat. Even if it's more difficult for her.

Tom

Beta Return
I could be mistaken, but I don't remember the wheelchair boats having any sort of harness to keep them in place. My mom has used those handicap boats before a few times when she needed a wheelchair and I don't recall them having any sort of tethering. As far as I can remember, when riding Small World you just wheel the chair onto the boat and put the brake on.

We only did this a couple of times though as far as I recall. She told me she didn't feel entirely stable or safe even with the brake on. I think sitting so high in such a small and shallow boat (which already has a fair bit of sway to it due to the nature of boats) was disorienting and made her feel nervous. So even when she needs a wheelchair now, she gets out and uses a normal boat. Even if it's more difficult for her.

Wow, that makes it even worse. I too would feel uncomfortable sitting up that high, in a wheelchair that's not tethered down. I think it's safe to say they won't ever have wheelchair boats on PotC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom