New Boats on Pirates

Tom

Beta Return
Yeah, I agree. I understand why they don't, but it sucks when you're 5'7 (and fancy yourself short) and your legs slam into the bench in front of you... it makes for an uncomfortable ride. Even worse is the Mexican pavilion ride (sorry, name is eluding me at the moment)

They don't because those boats were all designed and built in the 70s (or rather, earlier, since they used them first at DLR), and I'm sure they used then-appropriate design standards while also trying to maximize ride capacity.

And they haven't added leg room because, as I mentioned in a post above, they would have to eliminate a row and re-work every boat....while also re-doing the load and unload platforms so the queue stalls lined up with the new rows. Huge expense to add a couple inches of leg room to each row.

However, and this may just be coincidence since I usually go when it's not busy, but often times CMs will partially load a row if there's a "big and/or tall" person in that row, giving them horizontal space for their body, or to sit with their legs sideways.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They don't because those boats were all designed and built in the 70s (or rather, earlier, since they used them first at DLR), and I'm sure they used then-appropriate design standards while also trying to maximize ride capacity.

And they haven't added leg room because, as I mentioned in a post above, they would have to eliminate a row and re-work every boat....while also re-doing the load and unload platforms so the queue stalls lined up with the new rows. Huge expense to add a couple inches of leg room to each row.

However, and this may just be coincidence since I usually go when it's not busy, but often times CMs will partially load a row if there's a "big and/or tall" person in that row, giving them horizontal space for their body, or to sit with their legs sideways.
Legroom standards have definitely increased over the years. We frequent a theater built in the the 1920's and there might be 4"-6" between my knees and the chair in front of me when I am sitting and I am a whopping 5'-9". The spacing is so tight you actually have to shuffle from side to side to get down the aisles when no one is sitting in the seats.

Tom

Beta Return
Legroom standards have definitely increased over the years. We frequent a theater built in the the 1920's and there might be 4"-6" between my knees and the chair in front of me when I am sitting and I am a whopping 5'-9". The spacing is so tight you actually have to shuffle from side to side to get down the aisles when no one is sitting in the seats.

Yeah, people today are....in general.....bigger :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I assume it's behind a regular door then, because I've never noticed it. Of course, I have never really paid much attention to the unload area.

Where does it come out up at park level? It would have to be well behind the gift shop. Is it back by that restroom?
At park level its a backstage but themed corridor if you understand. One option is indeed to enter via the shop/bathroom area. The other takes you out almost into Frontierland.

Tom

Beta Return
At park level its a backstage but themed corridor if you understand. One option is indeed to enter via the shop/bathroom area. The other takes you out almost into Frontierland.

Interesting. I'll have to scope it out next time we're down there, just so I can put an end to my oblivious-ness.

tnemgif

I was on Pirates yesterday and it seems like they're having some problems with water collecting in the new boats. About every 4 boats, they would stop the ride. Then a CM would take a bunch of soaked towels from the floor of an empty boat, then replace those with fresh towels. A LOT of water was coming out of these boats.

It looked like the boats are bowing around the fourth row, causing water to puddle very badly. My boat, though open to guests, had over half an inch of water in it (leaving my flip flops very wet)!

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
This has sparked a question in my mind....how do immobile guests experience Pirates, or do they? ECV's and wheelchairs can't go up the speedramp at unload, and I don't think there's an elevator. I guess I've never in my life seen someone transferring at PotC. And given these parameters, I don't think a wheelchair boat is even worth addressing, given the inability to unload and leave the building safely on anything but feet.

There is an elevator at the exit for wheelchairs, ECVs must transfer to a MK wheelchair in the queue and then to the ride.

MissM

I assume it's behind a regular door then, because I've never noticed it. Of course, I have never really paid much attention to the unload area.
It's surprisingly obvious. There's a little alcove and an elevator. I only noticed it because there was a lady very slowly crossing in front of all of the other people unloading to get over to it once. Usually, you're focused on off loading and getting on the ramp, so there's really no reason to notice it.

image.jpg
Here is a picture of the new boats!:)

Tom

Beta Return
It's surprisingly obvious. There's a little alcove and an elevator. I only noticed it because there was a lady very slowly crossing in front of all of the other people unloading to get over to it once. Usually, you're focused on off loading and getting on the ramp, so there's really no reason to notice it.

It is my mission to intentionally look for this in February. I honestly don't think I've ever gotten out of the boat and looked anywhere but at the ground, and then toward the ramp. In all the friggin time I've ridden PotC, I have never even looked back toward the ride. How insane is that?

TimeTrip

It is my mission to intentionally look for this in February. I honestly don't think I've ever gotten out of the boat and looked anywhere but at the ground, and then toward the ramp. In all the friggin time I've ridden PotC, I have never even looked back toward the ride. How insane is that?
IIRC you don't even need to look back toward the ride. It's just on your left after you get out of the boat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom