New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And one that doesn't (didn't) serve burgers and fries, hot dogs, etc. Maybe spring rolls, chicken satay, vegetarian stir fry, different rices, kabobs (Aladin's Flying Carpets are close by), couscous, etc.

When it was open, we ate there at least once every trip. And that's when it was just Americanized Chinese/Polynesian.

Burgers and Fries would not be so bad if they were GOOD burgers and fries. The current WDW burgers and fries make me wonder whether their shipping containers would be tastier.

I also miss this restaurant the Chicken satay was VERY good and the Kabobs are sorely missed.

Monkee Girl

Haven't posted in a while but this news irked me. It does seem like Disney is going a little overboard on the FP+ junk. I do like the system for it's convenience but people should have the freedom to opt out if they choose. Especially regarding meals.

I agree with the one poster talking about the times. My family usually books early meals (between 4 and 5) for dinner...so when I choose to each lunch, I usually skip breakfast and get lunch when they open (10 or 11). I want to eat by noon at least....not at 1 or 2! I wouldn't be able to eat my dinner! :( 180 days wasted.

I never had an issue waiting at Beast's either... I started going to Beast for my meals because one day I wanted lunch and went into my go to place; Pinocchio's for the amazing chicken parm they had only to find it was all replaced with cheap pizza...excuse me...'flat bread'. I said 'nope! don't want flat bread.' so I went to check out Gaston's and all they had to offer was pork shank. 'Nope! Don't like eating stuff off a bone like a cave man (I'm a lady :p) so instead of walking all over the park to get a burger or chicken nuggets, I chose to just stand in line for Beast and was amazed at how fast it moved. So I have done that at least once a trip and have been very happy. To find out I don't have this option is just nuts and a bad choice in my opinion.

They really need to fix up the rest of the eateries in the MK. I love Pinocchio's and wish they would update that horrible menu.

Last edited:

Sped2424

Agreed^ The only place I actually think is worth the money for lunch in fantasyland is be our guest, as their turkey sandwich is AMAZING.

Monkee Girl

Agreed^ The only place I actually think is worth the money for lunch in fantasyland is be our guest, as their turkey sandwich is AMAZING.

Mine is the roast beef sandwich...though it was originally the steak sandwich (they got rid of it:arghh:), it's still good.

And you are right; it's the only one worth the money and worth the wait. I think if the staff/powers that be can't handle it being a normal 'wait in line' quick service, than just turn it into a full table service and fix the regular quick services they have. All that new Fantasy Land planning and they couldn't add a Mermaid themed restaurant or something. I mean, come on....Loui's! It was right there in front of them! lol It's very sad.

I think Disney is giving families more opportunity to enjoy the parks instead of waiting in lines. I am not staying on site and was dreading this line. This new procedure is making it possible for us to eat at BOG. Hopefully the "test" is still going on August 16.

Sped2424

Mine is the roast beef sandwich...though it was originally the steak sandwich (they got rid of it:arghh:), it's still good.

And you are right; it's the only one worth the money and worth the wait. I think if the staff/powers that be can't handle it being a normal 'wait in line' quick service, than just turn it into a full table service and fix the regular quick services they have. All that new Fantasy Land planning and they couldn't add a Mermaid themed restaurant or something. I mean, come on....Loui's! It was right there in front of them! lol It's very sad.
You remember the steak sandwhich too! It was a skirt steak sandwhich and I was in HEAVEN with that option! Louis's could have been inside Ariels castle! Perhaps that could have made it the more intimate of the two resturants and make the be our guest the people eater
Littlemermaid_644.jpg

Have the windows be project a moving ocean effect and you have a cool place to eat!

Sped2424

I think Disney is giving families more opportunity to enjoy the parks instead of waiting in lines. I am not staying on site and was dreading this line. This new procedure is making it possible for us to eat at BOG. Hopefully the "test" is still going on August 16.
Unless you arrive and they tell you there are no more return time tickets, lunch ends at 2 or 3 every day. So it wouldn't be hard at all for them to run out of those return tickets every day. It would be rather easy.

actaeonus

Unless you arrive and they tell you there are no more return time tickets, lunch ends at 2 or 3 every day. So it wouldn't be hard at all for them to run out of those return tickets every day. It would be rather easy.

They do, they did- got as far as the bridge. I asked if we could look at the exterior and take pictures- and were told no. We did not ask to go inside.

actaeonus

In all honesty... if anyone has any sense, they will make an ADR. However, this policy of issuing FP- for popular rides is unacceptable because we expect the wait times for these type rides.

So most WDW visitors don't 'have any sense'? Seems an elitist comment. Wasn't the concept that we'd all play together, and no one 'more equal' than others? It's a Small World... From the little I know, Walt's concept that it was an opportunity for everyone to be equal. He even told his executives to get out of the cubicles and have lunch in the parks, to stand in line, to experience it all- in effort to know what the right choices are.

That comment aside- you're suggesting that we tell first-time visitors to WDW that they are 'stupid' for not making dining reservations and that they should accept the fact that they will be standing in long lines for popular rides?

FP and FP+ have been heavily marketed, and on my most recent trip, I had the opportunity to FP+ Philharmagic and a Parade. Any regular visitor would know that FP was useless.

Apologies if I missed your point, but I guess I missed the point.

AEfx

You are missing the entire point.

Unless you mean aimlessly walking around, which, granted, can be nice at WDW, everything comes with a line. If you aren't waiting in this line, you'll be waiting in other lines. Without MM+, you are a second class citizen to begin with, and now they are taking away the privilege of even being able to still be a second class citizen and stand in a line to at least have the same experience even if you have to wait for it.

This is the point where they are jumping the shark, folks. Anyone who thought all this militaristic, almost psychotic level of planning required to enjoy the basic experiences at WDW was a good idea and a good use of a couple of billion dollars, has to see the insane path this is going down now, unless you've swallowed so much pixie dust you think that trying to get a fast food lunch should require waiting in one line to get a return ticket so hours later you can wait in another line to get a sandwich is a rational thing, in which case I recommend getting yourself to the emergency room ASAP to have your stomach pumped, because I'm truly afraid you might just OD and no longer be able to enjoy breathing, much less WDW.

Sped2424

I think they want to phase out lines before you know it we will just wait in open spaces for our return times to experience anything. Kidding.....I think.

SoccerMickey

Yeah this sounds like a step in the right direction for me. It's keeping people out of lines where they're not having fun/spending money.
It's either a step in the right direction or someone high on the operational food chain trying to make a name for himself by being known as the one who came in to make MM+ finally work and fixing something that wasn't necessarily broken. The truth is lines and wait times are just a necessary evil when it comes to theme parks.
The comparison within theme parks that people should be making is what is Walt Disney World doing to be more like Tokyo Disneyland, not Universal. The Tokyo Disney parks are just as crowded as the Florida parks are, maybe even more so but you usually don't feel those crowds because there's so much more to offer within those two parks than Disney has in four, with lots of opportunity for guests wanting to hand over their money. From each popcorn stand selling unique popcorn with a special (refillable at a discounter price) popcorn bucket, to collecting all the charms, unique food stands, and the shops at World Bazaar are as crowded as Walmart on Black Friday ALL DAY!! I understand that a lot of it might be cultural and that American park guests either might not be interested in the same things that the Japanese guests are, or American guests might not have the financial means of a Japanese guest but Tokyo Disneyland is not trying to reinvent the wheel, they're just taking a page from Walt's play book by giving the guests what they want, throughout the whole park, and the guests want what they have!

DVC91

Think of it this way:

They're testing a new system so that the line doesn't scare people off. Think about how many guests have seen that line (for a quick service meal, mind you) extending out of the building, across the bridge, around the corner and more than half way to the Little Mermaid, and just thought, "Nope! We'll try later". Little do they know "try later" means diddily, because the line will either be exactly the same, or it will have switched over to dinner.

I think they're attempting to increase the intrigue. "No line? Let's check it out". Will it work? Who knows. That's just my 2 cents, and it's pure speculation

mm52200

Original Poster
Think of it this way:

They're testing a new system so that the line doesn't scare people off. Think about how many guests have seen that line (for a quick service meal, mind you) extending out of the building, across the bridge, around the corner and more than half way to the Little Mermaid, and just thought, "Nope! We'll try later". Little do they know "try later" means diddily, because the line will either be exactly the same, or it will have switched over to dinner.

I think they're attempting to increase the intrigue. "No line? Let's check it out". Will it work? Who knows. That's just my 2 cents, and it's pure speculation
But people will see no line, be intrigued, walk up and be told return tickets have been gone since 11 am and they can only get in if they have a Fastpass they can use only of they're staying at a resort and they happened to get an email about it....

SoccerMickey

Think of it this way:

It honestly could also be when surveying guests at the end of their meals they could have gotten a lot of responses saying, it was good but not worth the wait. And instead of making it good enough for the wait, they are taking away the wait...in a sense.
The biggest problem with the restaurant is they are married to this technology with the rose and the tracking chip that really doesn't get people through efficiently. Maybe by the time the newness of this restaurant peters off, which if the average guest comes every 3.5 years, should be early 2016, and the crowds die down we can see if this restaurant setting is a hit or not. It will also be curious to see if they replicate this system in any of the shanghai Disneyland restaurants too.

Grotto123

I'm pretty sure this is illegal. I remember when mm+ was first being introduced senators were stating that disney can't say to their guests if you stay at one of our hotels will give you a better experience then our day guests will get. If I'm paying the same price as everyone else is to get the same experience I should be aloud to wait in whatever line I want. This scares me because whose to say this idea won't be incorporated to rides, meet and greets, whose to say that disney won't say since are most popular rides waits are so long it's just going to be mm+ with a few paper fast pass available. It's coming to the point day guest (florida residents, people staying of property) won't get the same experience as people staying on property. Boo to you disney walt would be upset

willtravel

Well one of the things that was speculated a while ago was the ability to order your food from your phone at any quick service location and have it ready for you at some point in the future. You can do that through the Be Our Guest Fastpass service that was offered prior to this (it's still offered, but good luck getting availability). That would definitely be a convenience for some.

More specifically, there aren't enough dining options in the Magic Kingdom. It needs one additional large quick service and one additional large table service. If only there were existing facilities in the park that could easily remedy this situation...
There are other quick service restaurants that could help that are in place right now, but they are opened seasonally. I would be concerned if they were to build more, others would go seasonally. I do think one more table service would be nice w/o characters.

Dwarful

When we went the first week of June we had the FP+ for lunch at noon. We walked in and were one of only three families in the library. Four families spread out in the entire library. By the time we left maybe two more families had joined us. We couldn't figure out the line outside when seats were available inside...unless the kitchen/ waitstaff was under staffed and they couldn't keep up with the crowd.

The lunch options are nice, but not for TS sit down credit for those on the dining plan...although we don't do the DP so I guess that shouldn't concern me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom