New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

I'm going to start by saying we only ever go in the off season, so my experience doesn't account for the long lines most people face on every ride. We usually only wait at Soarin' and TSMM

I don't mind this policy with a restaurant. Soarin' seemed a bit silly, just because of the walk to get there, though that is my least favorite line in the park. This makes sense to me. It clears out a line that there isn't really a place for and still lets people go eat there. For those who know about the policy, you know to wander over there sometime in the morning to get your pass (I have a hard time believing they're all gone in 10 minutes after park opening). I feel bad for those who don't know, but at the same time, they're the people who miss the parades or have to stand in the back because they didn't arrive early enough. If you want to wait in line to eat there, you could always get your paper and then just stand nearby like you're in line, but I'd rather be out and about having a little extra fun.

John

Thinking this thing thru a little more a previous poster is right....this should have been reservation only to begin with. No mater what they do now you will have unhappy guest. How could TDO not know this would be a popular destination for a meal?

RayTheFirefly

I'm going to start by saying we only ever go in the off season, so my experience doesn't account for the long lines most people face on every ride. We usually only wait at Soarin' and TSMM

I don't mind this policy with a restaurant. Soarin' seemed a bit silly, just because of the walk to get there, though that is my least favorite line in the park. This makes sense to me. It clears out a line that there isn't really a place for and still lets people go eat there. For those who know about the policy, you know to wander over there sometime in the morning to get your pass (I have a hard time believing they're all gone in 10 minutes after park opening). I feel bad for those who don't know, but at the same time, they're the people who miss the parades or have to stand in the back because they didn't arrive early enough. If you want to wait in line to eat there, you could always get your paper and then just stand nearby like you're in line, but I'd rather be out and about having a little extra fun.
Theoretically, what if every attraction practiced this? What "extra fun" could you even have while you waited for your time? Shopping or using the bathroom?

Theoretically, what if every attraction practiced this? What "extra fun" could you even have while you waited for your time? Shopping or using the bathroom?
While I can't argue with you there, I doubt that theory would ever come into practice. If it did, perhaps they would determine a way to make it so you can just go from one to the next bouncing around with narry a line to be seen. Maybe we'd even watch a parade since we currently skip those for our 7th or 8th ride on space mountain in a row.

Do I want Disney to dictate my whole vacation? No. For lines over 90 minutes long, would I rather be handed a pass to come back later so I could do something else with my time, even if that is find a nice bench, sit down and rehydrate? Yes. I can see the qualms and downsides people are stating, but I'm taking the positive side of this. I much prefer this answer to waiting in line when we go in September (that's if I haven't gotten my fp+ reservation).

The Mom

Premium Member

Many are afraid that that is exactly what's going to happen. Increase the number of FP+, but no more stand-by lines. The FP+ lines apparently are getting as long as stand-by lines used to be (or so I've read - I'm not going near WDW until all of these "tests" are over) so it is unfortunately conceivable that someday you will need a FP+ or ADR to do anything, or eat anywhere.

WDW will know exactly how many meals need to be prepared at each restaurant, and will be able to manipulkate wait times for all attractions. Which will delight the bean counters. I hope this isn't really what will happen, but we're getting closer. look what happened to Epcot when they figured out that WS was empty in the morning, but FW was slow after dinner. They opened WS later, and closed FW early. I used to go directly to WS upon arrival - to escape the crowds in FW, and to make dinner reservations. I haven't been able to do that in decades.

tribbleorlfl

Here is my take on the whole thing. IMO the problem is there isn't enough CS restaurants and attractions to serve capacity. We have been over this a million times. The MM+ is an instrument not to make your experience so much better ( that's what they want you to believe) but to spread out capacity. The obvious answer is to build more attractions and CS restaurants in MK. What is amusing is that these "test" is just the old FP system. Could it possibly be that it was a better system? FP+? So now we have to use one of our three FP+ choices for a ADR? REDICULUS!
Can't disagree with you on attractions not meeting demand, but there are plenty of QS restaurants at MK. The only reason we're having this discussion with BoG is that it's not just a QS location for obvious reasons. It's practically an attraction in its own right.

mm52200

Original Poster
I guess my biggest lament is that although the line could seem long for BoG it never took an outrageous amount of time, yes maybe longer than the line at Cosmic Rays or Casey's Corner, but it was worth the extra wait for a much better experience. Also one of the big "features" of BoG was that it was a flex service restaurant, quick service for lunch and table service for dinner so if you weren't lucky enough to get a dinner reservation 6 months out you could still get it. Now it seems they're wanting to take that away. The quick service lunch was just something really neat that my family loved doing and it'll just be disappointing to see it become harder and harder to do.

scoobygirl39541

Apologies for my ignorance, but I haven't been following this as well as I should have. I know that only resort guests can get a FP+ for BOG, but where does this FP+ come from? Does it subtract out from your daily MK count of 3? Or is this something additional? If so, do you book it 60 days in advance on their website like you would a FP+?

flynnibus

Premium Member
FP+ where you normally would make reservations? Makes sense
FP+ for something that is a 'must see' for your trip.. to ensure you do it without a huge commitment? Makes sense
FP+ where you normally would want to make an adhoc decision on what you are hungry for.. and are willing to adapt for? NO SENSE

You shouldn't apply advanced planning to all elements... Disney is getting coo-coo with the idea that "lines mean I should do return times!" - No... if you have an adhoc service with lines.. you need more adhoc service!

We'll normally walk up around 11 or or 11:20 and wait in line and then eat lunch. However the other day we walked up at 11:20 and they gave us a return time for 12:50.

I might have missed this answer, but what happened when you came back at 12:50? Did you get seated immediately or have to wait another 30 minutes?

ninjaprincesst

My biggest issue with this is they need to get the BOG lunch fastpass working correctly first. There is no rhyme or reson to the BOG fastpass, some people can make them at 20 days out, some at 10, some at 5, some have to have an invitation, some don't, some have to wait until they arrive at the resort, they need this system working and working correctly and with consistency before they go messing with the stand by line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom