New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

DisneyDebRob

I will repeat what I said in the soaring thread. If I am paying close to 100 bucks to get into a theme park, any theme park, I have the right to ride or stand in any line if that's what I want to do. If I want to wait a hour and 30 minutes to get a lunch then I should be able to do it. I never would but I know people that may never come back to the park ever again, or where lines don't bother them as much might do it. We see it every day at Disney.
By cutting off lines at rides or anywhere else. Is saying you can't ride or participate in this and that's wrong.
I should be able to wait 10 hrs a day, if I wanted to to keep getting in line for soaring after I ride it if that's what I want my day to be. Just hope BoG isn't going this way also.

AEfx

Sounds good to me. I would never in a million years stand in that line, so it was already FP+ or bust for me.

Lining up outside a QS is just bizzare IMO.

Well, to most people, the entire notion of scheduling a fast food lunch is bizarre, LOL.

I know that you are coming from inside the Disney bubble, but let's remember here - to most folks in the "real world" it's absurd to have to book almost any restaurant six months in advance, period - just a little perspective here.

That said, standing in line to buy fast food is actually the norm, even if it's a long line. That's how fast food works, even if you fancy it up by calling it "quick service". People line up every day for an hour at Shake Shack in Central Park for a burger, as well as many other places across the country. Not to mention, at WDW in particular, eliminating the standby line is insanity - because you've just replaced the really long stand by line with a really long FP+ line (making a "fast pass" nothing of the sort - it only works when it's exceptional, not the norm).

This issue is the epitome of what is going wrong at WDW right now. Essentially, the eatery will go Resort Only - how long before that slips down to new attractions? "Sorry, the first three months of Avatar land will be FP+ only, come back in three months". I know some would be just fine with that, but seriously - it's simply going to harm the average guest experience more than enhance the lifestylers and mommy bloggers who think this whole system is the best thing since sliced cheese.

prberk

I don't understand...

If you're HUNGRY at 11:10... why would you "hold off" for an HOUR & FORTY minutes?!

If I walk up... and the waits 30mins... usually it's a quick "what do you want to do" discussion. Some will wait... some will move on... but we're all hungry and would like to eat!

I don't mind waiting for 30mins... but 100mins? What does this accomplish? ...
What if that return time is smack in the middle of your SDMT or A&E return window?
...So ridiculous Disney... the only place where you'll pay $75+ day to be told you can't stand in a line...

First, for the day visitor, you mean $100 a day. Second, what about your 4:45 dinner reservation for which you have made a credit-card guarantee (and which you could not get at a later time because the on-property visitors with free dining had them all booked up)? That might be why you are eating at 11:10 a.m., having skipped breakfast and planned to eat an early quick-service lunch so that you would be hungry at 4:45 for the big dinner.

I think quick service should always be waiting in line. Can you imagine McDonald's (or even Arby's or Boston Market) turning you away or giving you a card to come back in 90 minutes?

Captain Chaos

My take on this is slightly different. To me, WDW obviously does not want people standing in line for 60, 90 and 120 minutes etc., for one main reason: guest spending.
The more they force me to no longer control how I want to visit and "tour" the parks, the more they keep me from accessing the rides/attractions/restaurants, at times that are convenient to me, is time I no longer spend in their theme parks, which means less money I spend in their theme parks, and more time and money spent elsewhere... I don't need WDW. They need me. They seem to be forgetting that the customer is the most important part of their business. off the customer, that customer and their money goes elsewhere.

kap91

So... what should Disney do when it's faced with such high demand for restaurants/attractions/etc.?
Clearly the only solution is for them to build more stuff. (Sarcasm) That's at least what most here would say.

Personally this all seems to hinge on the implementation. If the card they give out is for a time 15-30 minutes later then it's really no different than standing in line - I just don't have to stand in the hot sun. What could be more brilliant? Restaurants have been doing this with pagers for decades and no one complains. Really that's all it is.

If the time is two hours from now then it's just annoying and a terrible idea and I'll want to eat someplace else. The only risk I see is that by having no visible line you'll in affect make the virtual line longer. But who knows if that will be true.

As for making it fastpass only- I call malarkey on that. It's a terrible idea, the lines don't justify it, and would be a guest relations nightmare. I could buy the idea they're thinking of making it table service at lunch, and therefore reservation only, but not quick service and fp only. Disney ain't that crazy.

jencor

I just visited my local McD's for lunch and it was really crowded, but no worry, I got a piece of paper saying I can come back in an hour and stand in a separate line. Sounds like a good marketing plan.

I really feel sorry for those people who do not live and breath Disney and stay up with these changes that seem to happen daily, but they have saved for a couple of years to bring their family and is so confused and lost. They are thinking, wow this is not what I remember last time I visited 3 years ago.

I am going in 80 days and my head is spinning. Does it matter how much I plan cause game is changing so much.

dreamfinder

Why are they not utilizing the MB for this? I think it is hilarious that TWDC spent $2B on this technology yet are back to handing out paper again.

And in the long run they most likey will. Based on the info in the thread this is a test. Just like the A&E and Soarin'. Heck, even like the virtual queue they set up at RnRC ages ago. It costs next to nothing to have the graphics department spit out a template for a return ticket. But more importantly, it comes with a minimal chance of screwing up something else. Integrating something into any software system isn't easy, and takes time. Not only does it typically go through a testing and lock down period (meaning it's hard to make changes on the fly), it also can screw up the entire system. Added BoG? Whoops, Dumbo disappeared. It's not something any IT person wants to do on the fly and definitely not just for a test. Using paper allows them to try different ratios, hand out more, hand out less. If today they find out that they are passing out 25 too many per time slot, tomorrow they just use less. No need to have a programmer make a change at 2 AM once they analyze the data. Run it for a few days, see how it works, get a grip on numbers. Then pass it over to the coders and let them properly test and integrate the changes. Or decide that it's not really needed, and move on having only spent an hour of the graphics department time.

randyrut

I can't imagine how anyone can think that there is any other reason for this other than the execs wanting people in the stores and spending money as much as possible rather than standing in a line with their wallets in their back pockets. It is about as obvious as anything can be. Get the people out of line. They will wander around waiting for a return time and venture through stores and wind up blowing cash they didnt plan to spend.

Only thing I find amusing, which was brought up earlier, is the fact that FP+ was supposed to end the days when people ran through the park at rope drop to attain a fast pass. Now they will be sprinting through the park to obtain a return time at BOG.

crispy

Part of the problem with BoG is that the ordering system is completely inefficient. The line wouldn't be nearly as long if you didn't have to go through computer screens to order. This is a problem they could be alleviated by a large amount by actually have enough cashiers to run people through quickly.

What I imagine will happen is people will end up eating somewhere else for lunch and then go grab a cupcake at BoG so they can see the inside and take pictures which will affect their bottom line.

CDavid

A severe amount of the restaurant's capacity has been switched over to the resort only Fastpass + system, which can only be utilized if you are staying at a resort.

Well, this just has guest relations debacle written all over it. Many Magic Kingdom guests are staying off-property.

Sounds good to me. I would never in a million years stand in that line, so it was already FP+ or bust for me.

Lining up outside a QS is just bizzare IMO.

Making a reservation for a quick-service restaurant is just bizarre. A reservation makes sense (and guests are accustomed to) for table service facilities, but the very idea of return times or reservations is completely foreign to the very concept of quick service. How would you expect such a policy to go over at Chick Fil-A or McDonald's? If it doesn't make sense there, it doesn't make sense at Be Our Guest either.

Now, should Disney choose to make the restaurant table-service all day long, then that would make sense (and perhaps even a good idea).

And they haven't switched to all reservations. So what is the problem exactly? Go that day and pick up a card. Now people that may not have been physically able to stand in the sun can also enjoy the "higher quality" quick service.

All of these recent discussions about lines seem to imply that being able to stand in a line for hours is some virtue that is more worthy of being rewarded than other touring methods. "I know you other people got here in time to get a card (to see A&E...or eat at BOG...or whatever), BUT I AM WILLING TO STAND AROUND AND WAIT."

(And this is not directed at you personally.)

As pointed out already, people are accustomed to waiting in a line, particularly at crowded venues such as theme parks. You go to the grocery at checkout, you wait your turn. Go to the movies or a sporting event and wait in line to get in. Wait in line to board a bus, monorail, or enter the park. But now, suddenly, Disney proposes to tell people "sorry, you aren't allowed to wait in line for a fast-food restaurant".

Who comes up with this stuff, and what were they possibly thinking??? Many guests still find the idea of ride reservations strange enough.

Well, to most people, the entire notion of scheduling a fast food lunch is bizarre, LOL.

I know that you are coming from inside the Disney bubble, but let's remember here - to most folks in the "real world" it's absurd to have to book almost any restaurant six months in advance, period - just a little perspective here.

That said, standing in line to buy fast food is actually the norm, even if it's a long line. That's how fast food works, even if you fancy it up by calling it "quick service". People line up every day for an hour at Shake Shack in Central Park for a burger, as well as many other places across the country. Not to mention, at WDW in particular, eliminating the standby line is insanity - because you've just replaced the really long stand by line with a really long FP+ line (making a "fast pass" nothing of the sort - it only works when it's exceptional, not the norm).

This issue is the epitome of what is going wrong at WDW right now. Essentially, the eatery will go Resort Only - how long before that slips down to new attractions? "Sorry, the first three months of Avatar land will be FP+ only, come back in three months". I know some would be just fine with that, but seriously - it's simply going to harm the average guest experience more than enhance the lifestylers and mommy bloggers who think this whole system is the best thing since sliced cheese.

Quoted for truth. But has anyone within Disney even thought of the guest impact of making a very popular restaurant - in your most popular park - largely (or totally) off-limits to all but resort guests? That's not going to go well...

So... what should Disney do when it's faced with such high demand for restaurants/attractions/etc.?

Increase capacity. I know people say this around here all the time, but there is a reason for that - it's the truth! If only there were a large, currently unused dining facility within the Magic Kingdom which could be reopened to meet guest demand. Hmm, maybe somewhere in Adventureland...

I think quick service should always be waiting in line. Can you imagine McDonald's (or even Arby's or Boston Market) turning you away or giving you a card to come back in 90 minutes?

Only in Disney would we see such nonsense. I find it absolutely amazing there are a few (pixie-dusted!) guests who actually think this a reasonable idea. It's just dumb.

Mawg

The difference with this and Soarin' is that people at soarin could just get back in line and keep getting standby tickets thus making all standby tickets gone very early or earlier than they would have if they had the real line that would deter some guests from getting in the Standby line over and over. With a restaurant, people aren't going to get multiple reservations. It's really no different than walking up to a restaurant and they hand you a vibrating buzzer to come back. At some point though they have to stop giving out vibrating buzzers because the restaurant has to close for dinner. I don't mind this idea of return passes for restaurants but for rides I am strongly against it.

landauh

A couple of issues:

1. Why does everyone keep on harping that Disney is only doing this to get guests to spend more money. Even if you believe that the Executives are the most incompetent human beings on Earth you can't really believe that they feel that all guests not in a long line will spend money.

2. As for the large amount of testing: How else do you simulate 1000s of guest interactions without live tests? I have worked with models for things like this and the model is only as good as the programmers that set up the algorithms. Live testing provides far more factual data in a shorter amount of time than 100s of hours of modeling. It is possible that by doing it this way Disney will be able to have a better system quicker (or even decide that the way MM+ is configured is not correct).

3. As for standing in line when you want too. You are on private property and really do not have the right to do what you want even if you spend $1M.

4. I honestly believe that Disney is trying (maybe not 100% the correct way) to find out what is the best way to reduce wait times and increase guest satisfaction. (And maybe even get guests to spend a little more - which I doubt that the guests will do.)

Try to give Disney a little leeway as they try to sort things out. If it really causes you massive heartburn don't spend the money on a Disney vacation until the tests are completed (or ever). This is referred to as free will.

I'm done ... flame on!

Last edited:

Roakor

..Having an extra hour or so to look in the stores doesn't matter when people have seen the same stuff time and again...

Here is my take on Disney trying to get people out of lines so they can spend more money in stores. I am at MY to see attractions not shop. We will go to the Disney store in Down Town to shop. And as you pointed out since all the stores have pretty much the same thing there really isn't anything you can get at parks that you can't also buy at the Disney store. It also worked well with kids as we just told them, don't ask the answer is no. When we go to Down Town then you can get something. Which also meant we spent less as the younger kids have forgotten all about what ever sparkly thing it was that they just had to have right then.

randyrut

Ill be at MK in 13 days. Will be glad to report anything I see or hear while there. Should be interesting to see the reactions. Thankfully I got dinner reservations there 180 days out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom