New backdrop at Fantasmic! today

kap91

I have also seen both shows and each have their pros and cons.

First off I like the MGM soundtrack much more than the Disneyland version. Obviously this applies to the parts of the soundtrack that are different, specifically the climax where Mickey was supposed to walk on water (I really wish they would bring that into the show like it was originally planned) and the death of the villians.

Second, yes the peter pan scene on the ship is cool but depending on where you stand around the lagoon you don't get to see all of it and it also hard to concentrate on since it is moving around the lagoon.

On the other hand I hate how MGM's version uses the water screens more than live action (at least that is how it seems).

I also really like having the Mark Twain in the show versus Steamboat Willie, I don't know why I guess it's because the Mark Twain looks less cartoonish and more elegant.

So all in all both shows are good in their own way. My personal preference is the MGM version but I wish it had more live action.

Anyway are there any pics of this new background?

Also this matter of the dragon. It is my understanding that the Disneyland version is puppeteered while the MGM version is animotronic, this might have something to do with why the dragons look different(different requirements in the structure etc). This also brings me to the point that WDW's dragon was only built to last 6 or 7 years, could this be another reason for the rehab?

Tigger Time

Kontra said:
I've been working at Fantasmic! for the last few days and noticed today that a new backdrop has replaced the old army netting that borders the mountain. The new façade is mostly a curtain painted to look like a whimsical forest. We were joking that it looked like something out of the Smurfs, maybe a little darker. I don't mind it one way or the other, by the time the show starts, it's hardly noticeable anyway.

Yesterday was the first time I ever saw Fantasmic! It was very, very good. I'll be back his evening, thanks for putting on a great show!

comics101

themack618 said:
Im thinking a little off topic...but what show do you think will come after Fantasmic! ends its course?

you didn't hear? they're redoing the stage for the new Harry Potter show. That's the only reason the backdrop was replaced.:lol:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
elpirataman said:
Ok I am getting a little Hostile without pics ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:goodnevil :fork:

-Breathes deeply and calmly-

OK people, enough bashing about no pictures.

What's better: news without pictures or no news at all ? :brick:

Craig & Lisa

Nut4Disney said:
Aren't they also closing Fantasmic down for a week beginning Nov 1st, for more refurbishments?

I would like to repeat this question because the family and I,( all 11 of us, 7 of which have not been to WDW) will be there the 4th to the 11th, please say it won't be!!!!!!!:(

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
themack618 said:
Im thinking a little off topic...but what show do you think will come after Fantasmic! ends its course?

I don`t think it will. It may be plussed and have scenes swapped, but it`s a custom built ampitheatre with fittings specifically for the show. Even the name could change, but I doubt the format would.

S.E.A.

CThaddeus said:
I'm fine with clones. I'm usually thrilled whenever Disneyland gets something Disney World (or other Disney Park) already has. My beef with clones is that in the process they usually come out degraded, cheapened. It's happened at Disneyland with Tower of Terror. Not that I think it's all that great of an attraction to begin with, but the 5th dimension part was the one thing that impressed me about it. When they put it in here, they eliminated the forward motion to save themselves some bucks. Similarly, when they put in Fantasmic! in Disney-MGM, not only did they reduce costs by putting in the Pocahontas scene, but they decided to rely more heavily on the mist screens (there's now an entire sequence devoted to "bubbles" of characters rising out of the water, and they've added way more villains than they needed - the screaming seems to drag on forever!), eliminated the Ursula float, dropped the Pinocchio scene, and built a rather sad-looking steamship for Mickey to drive. I realize Disney used a lot of pre-existing elements at Disneyland to do their version of it, but they managed to do it in a way that truly works.
If you've never seen the Disneyland version, then yes, Disney-MGM's Fantasmic! is probably pretty amazing. Maybe I'm simply jaded because I've seen what the parent can do and am always extremely impressed. The child just doesn't follow in the footsteps closely enough, and comes across looking rather cheesy. If Disney is going to clone something, then any changes should be for the better (plussing, to use Walt's term)...and not just to cut costs.

Edit: Nowhere do I state that I hate the show because of the Pocahontas scene. I love Fantasmic! the show. I just don't feel this version is as good as it could and should be based on Disneyland's precedent. And getting back on topic, I'm once again happy the tarps have been replaced. May it be a sign of things to come.

well that's a pretty unfair judgement considering that The Columbia and the Mark Twain already existed prior to Fantasmic!. You don't actually expect them to build a gargantuan actual-sized steamship just for a single show do you? Sometimes you just gotta be practical, after all, this was at a time that WDW was getting a lot of things and money was being poured elsewhere.

And don't you be accusing them of reducing costs since they had to build an entire stadium for the show as opposed to modifying DL's pre-existing river.

And mind you, the Pocahontas segment was supposed to be added into the DL Fantasmic! back when it was planned that it would change show scenes every now and then.

themack618 said:

I doubt we should be thinking of that yet. F! is an incredibly popular show which most normal visitors seem to love. I highly doubt they would want to replace it any time soon. Even so, there had better be major events within the Disney company (like maybe another Animation renaissance) that would lead them to tinker with the show.

CSUFSteve

kap91 said:
First off I like the MGM soundtrack much more than the Disneyland version. Obviously this applies to the parts of the soundtrack that are different, specifically the climax where Mickey was supposed to walk on water (I really wish they would bring that into the show like it was originally planned) and the death of the villians.

This element was removed before the show even premiered to CM's due to protests when people heard about this and felt Disney was "idolizing" (in the religious sense) Mickey too much. I thought it sounded cool too.

kap91 said:
Second, yes the peter pan scene on the ship is cool but depending on where you stand around the lagoon you don't get to see all of it and it also hard to concentrate on since it is moving around the lagoon.

I completely respect your opinion here but I personally don't quite get this, and you're not the only who's said it. The very thing that I like about it is, BECAUSE it's moving, everyone eventually gets a good view of the ship, whether you're toward Big Thunder, Pirates, or Haunted. And they've made sure to have the guy swing in all 3 spots so everyone can see that. Anyway, to each his own, I just can't picture what you're saying is all.

kap91 said:
Also this matter of the dragon. It is my understanding that the Disneyland version is puppeteered while the MGM version is animotronic, this might have something to do with why the dragons look different(different requirements in the structure etc).

Haha, no, MGM's dragon is NOT an Animatronic. Now, it may have animated movements, but it's definitely not a true animatronic. Both dragons suck, IMO. MGM's is no better, at least IMO. To me our dragon simply looks like a crane with Hefty trash bags draped all over it. Ugh! I would, however, LOVE to have had Disneyland Paris's dragon (but bigger obviously and more Maleficent-y), which is a true Animatronic dragon.

Kontra

Original Poster
Tigger Time said:
Yesterday was the first time I ever saw Fantasmic! It was very, very good. I'll be back his evening, thanks for putting on a great show!

Unfortunately I have today off, otherwise I could have said hi. I too still love the show, especially the grand finale (I hate it when ppl leave early, usually when the steamboat comes out). I will try to snap a picture for you all tomorrow when I visit the park as a guest.

aim

kontra, man, whats up!? long time no see! thanks for the news! i was there today, but didn't stay for fantasmic *tear*

Kontra

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay. These are taken right as soon as the theatre opened for seating.

Image-37B10740FE2E11DA.jpg

Image-37B127FAFE2E11DA.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom