New Attraction and Country at Epcot World Showcase

Pepper's Ghost

By that standard, the British pavilion renders Canada and even the US superfluous, not to mention such theoretical additions as India and Australia.

To be clear, I don't actually think that. My point was only that being a former colony doesn't make a country superfluous to World Showcase.
Sorry, it was meant in jest. I henceforth withdraw my joke/comment regarding South Africa. 😁

Beacon Joe

Is it too soon to say I still wish they had actually put in a Russia pavilion in EPCOT? Because now at least we'd have the Magic Pike ride to satisfy our longings for the Maelstrom.

Karakasa

My desire would be to use the space between Morocco and Japan for an attraction for Japan. There's even space for a queue in the existing Japan pavilion, so the space itself could all be a big ride. The question is of course - what could it be? Disney actually completely lacks IPs with strong ties to Japan, the country, that are usable at Epcot.

Big Hero 6, the movie, doesn't even take place in Japan - it takes place in "San Fransokyo". They could arguably do a thing like they do with other Marvel properties in the parks and have it be its own universe and put the team back in Japan like in the comics. However, given BH6 is also a "Disney animated classic" and they don't tend to retcon the movies to that extent in any of the other rides, I don't know about that one. The excuse for Frozen is "well, Arendelle COULD be a Norwegian kingdom"; San Fransokyo is American even with heavy Japanese cultural influence. I guess they could do a thing where the team visits Japan, but at that point, you could make a Cars ride or any take other IP that could "visit Japan" and plop it in there - not really reflective of the culture.

I could speculate about an original attraction, but, what are the chances? I have a few ideas for that but are they anything Disney of today would go for? Not likely.

The only other thing that might be possible is Disney licensing an IP - Iger, after all, did not plan on buying 20th Century Pictures at first and still went through with Pandora. But what would they go with? They've soured relations with Ghibli so a Totoro, Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away ride wouldn't be in the cards. A Godzilla ride like was planned in the 80s/90s would advertise WB's Monsterverse unintentionally. There's not a lot of currently popular anime set in Japan that Disney could conceivably make a family-appropriate ride for; Demon Slayer, for instance, is very violent. Disney doesn't take video games seriously so any popular Japanese-set video game as a basis is not likely either.

They could use the space for a Morocco attraction, but, the France-Morocco expansion pad still has space left too. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure Morocco is one of the only pavilions that still has a sponsor ... the government of Morocco itself. Adding in any attraction with artistic depictions of humans might not go over well, given the mosaics in the pavilion intentionally avoided such depictions out of respect for Moroccan culture's adherence to aniconism. Disney would have to weigh cost-benefit to the government potentially pulling out in protest vs. throwing in an Aladdin ride or something.

LittleBuford

Adding in any attraction with artistic depictions of humans might not go over well, given the mosaics in the pavilion intentionally avoided such depictions out of respect for Moroccan culture's adherence to aniconism. Disney would have to weigh cost-benefit to the government potentially pulling out in protest vs. throwing in an Aladdin ride or something.
Attitudes have varied across the Muslim world over the centuries, but I assure you that figural imagery is very abundant in Morocco. Moreover, it's already there in the Morocco pavilion:

IMG_8642.jpg

The tilework (not mosaic) that decorates the pavilion is a traditional artform that never featured figural imagery to begin with.

I don't know if the Moroccan government still has any sponsorship role, but either way, Disney clearly isn't that worried about offending cultural sensibilities given that the pavilion currently hosts belly dancers and an Aladdin and Jasmine meet-and-greet.

Karakasa

Attitudes have varied across the Muslim world over the centuries, but I assure you that figural imagery is very abundant in Morocco. Moreover, it's already there in the Morocco pavilion:

IMG_8642.jpg

The tilework (not mosaic) that decorates the pavilion is a traditional artform that never featured figural imagery to begin with.

I don't know if the Moroccan government still has any sponsorship role, but either way, Disney clearly isn't that worried about offending cultural sensibilities given that the pavilion currently hosts belly dancers and an Aladdin and Jasmine meet-and-greet.
Oh well, dang! I didn't know that was there.

Thank you for correcting me. I was going off of what I had read, I wasn't aware.

And.... yeah, you're right about that.

LittleBuford

Oh well, dang! I didn't know that was there.

Thank you for correcting me. I was going off of what I had read, I wasn't aware.

And.... yeah, you're right about that.
No worries! It’s a really widespread misconception that figural imagery is a no-no in Islamic cultural contexts, so I’m not surprised you read that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom