New Article on EE

utrythinkinof1

Original Poster
I hope no one has posted this already but I found this article dated from today: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-everest2206jan22,0,2295934.story?coll=orl-news-headlines

Disney's $100 million gamble
Expedition Everest roller coaster reaches sky-high for fresh thrills
Scott Powers
Sentinel Staff Writer

January 22, 2006

Walt Disney World called it nahtazu in its TV ads -- striving to define its Animal Kingdom as anything but a plain old zoo.

But now, Disney is about to try a shot of steel-railed adrenaline to drive home that message in an attempt to attract more -- and younger -- visitors who want a little more of a rush along with the lions, tigers, shows and themed rides.

It's called Expedition Everest, Disney's first large outdoor roller coaster that opens to annual- and seasonal-pass holders late this week and other guests intermittently for the next month.

With a reported price tag of up to $100 million, Everest needs to be more than just a must-ride new attraction, industry observers said.

It must be enough to entice visitors to tack an extra day onto their Disney stays. And by staying longer at Disney -- a key strategy for the company -- those visitors may opt to skip a trip or shorten a visit to crosstown rivals SeaWorld Orlando or Universal Orlando, each of which has added new attractions or rides in recent years.

"It's the whole function of how you get your money back. You don't just get it from the gate," said Orlando-based consultant Steve Baker, president of Baker Leisure Group. "You get it through extended stays in hotel rooms. People who plan to come when something is new, they'll get them. Now it'll take an extra half-day to see everything, and they'll get that extra night in the hotel."

And right now Animal Kingdom -- Disney World's most passive and least popular park since it opened in 1998 -- may be the one that vacationers most likely try to squeeze into a few hours, or simply skip on a tight schedule, Baker said.

While agreeing that Everest should extend visitors' stays at Animal Kingdom, Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak dismissed the idea that the park now is often a quick visit that people fit in around the other parks.

"Animal Kingdom, in and of itself, is a full-day experience. It doesn't have the nighttime appeal the other parks have. It typically closes around 5 o'clock," she said. "But it certainly . . . offers an experience that the other theme parks don't have here at Walt Disney World."

Animal Kingdom's popularity has grown the past two years, but the park still has not recovered from the steep drop in attendance it suffered earlier this decade. Attendance fell after the novelty wore off in 2000, and in the following two years because of the international tourism scare.

Animal Kingdom's attendance of 8.2 million last year still was far ahead of all non-Disney theme parks in North America, according to data published by Amusement Business magazine. But that gate was bolstered by the major celebration tied to Disneyland's 50th anniversary -- and the trick is staying popular, Baker said.

"It's critical," Baker said of Everest. "You can't maintain your market share . . . without new inclusions every so often, maybe every 18 months or every two years."

Yet big new attractions don't guarantee more customers. Last year, Universal Studios Orlando opened its Fear Factor Live show but saw a 6 percent drop in attendance compared with a big 2004, when its Revenge of the Mummy ride opened. Likewise, attendance fell at Kings Island in Ohio and Knott's Berry Farm in California despite new coasters.

On the other hand, Mission: Space, which also reportedly cost $100 million, helped turn around Epcot's falling attendance in 2003. The last time a major new roller coaster was added to an existing Central Florida park was 2000 with Kraken. SeaWorld saw an 11 percent increase in attendance that year.

At Animal Kingdom, Everest also may be key to capturing the attention of teens and young adults who can grow tired of animal safaris, shows and slower rides, industry observers said.

"I think they're trying to open the demographic that would be interested in that park," said Jerry Aldrich, president of Amusement Industry Consulting in Orlando. "They have probably . . . determined there is a void in a certain age they want to appeal to."

Spokeswoman Polak and other Disney officials insisted the ride's main appeal would be familywide, driven not by the physical thrills but by the story line and an adventure conveyed through details and special effects.

In fact, Disney officials normally don't even refer to Expedition Everest as a "roller coaster," and the words don't appear in promotional materials, other than with a promise of "coaster-like thrills." It's a "runaway train adventure."

"I guess I would focus more on these storytelling parts," Polak said. "We want to immerse our guests in the experience of the attraction."

The story has riders traveling into the Himalayas, where the mythological yeti -- as the Abominable Snowman is called there -- protects the region.

Yet in some circles, it's still a coaster. And people who love coasters say it's about time.

"When you think of the king of the parks, you think of the roller coaster," said Carole Sanderson, president of the American Coaster Enthusiasts. "This is very important. Especially putting it in the Animal Kingdom."

That means appealing to a generation known for self-avowed adrenaline junkies such as Gus Diaz, 22, of Fort Lauderdale and several other visitors seeking thrills last week at Universal's Islands of Adventure.

Diaz, along with Matt Svacha, 23, of Detroit and Eric Copeland, 25, of San Antonio, said they like Animal Kingdom all right. But thrill rides such as Islands of Adventure's Incredible Hulk are the ones they keep riding over and over.

"We are always thrill seekers," Diaz said. "We like anything that punches our adrenaline. . . . Anything, man. We look for the rush."

Disney says the Everest train tops out at about 50 mph with a maximum drop of 80 feet and that at one point it rushes backward.

A database on roller coasters, rcdb.com, compiled by Duane Marden of Brookfield, Wis., reports that the ride will be 4,400 feet long, with a maximum height of 112 feet, figures Disney did not confirm. Disney is setting the minimum-height limit for riders at 44 inches.

None of those features would place Everest among the top 10 coasters in the United States for speed, drop, length or height.

But American Coaster Enthusiasts' Steve Gzesh, who watched test runs in November, declared Everest "a very respectable ride."

"And it goes forward and backwards," Gzesh said. "That ought to be pretty cool."

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

Copyright © 2006, Orlando Sentinel

Computer Magic

Spokeswoman Polak and other Disney officials insisted the ride's main appeal would be familywide, driven not by the physical thrills but by the story line and an adventure conveyed through details and special effects.

In fact, Disney officials normally don't even refer to Expedition Everest as a "roller coaster," and the words don't appear in promotional materials, other than with a promise of "coaster-like thrills." It's a "runaway train adventure."

"I guess I would focus more on these storytelling parts," Polak said. "We want to immerse our guests in the experience of the attraction."

The story has riders traveling into the Himalayas, where the mythological yeti -- as the Abominable Snowman is called there -- protects the region.
and this is why Disney stands above the rest...

Great article, thanks for sharing

orlandorealtor

Now it's really going to be packed for the previews next weekend.

On another note: "The Slantinel" and their drama headline .. "Disney's $100 Million Gamble. Almost every E-ticket is around 100 million.

CTXRover

Thanks for the link to the article. :) Like many stories run in the Orlando Sentinel about Disney, I'm not a big fan of how it was written. Basically they tried to convey the message that AK was an unsuccessful park in need of big-time thrills to increase its attendance to match the thrills that the competition, such as IOA, give. Attendance at these parks shows that isn't necessary, but I digress. That said, AK did need a big adventure ride that does punch some thrills and Everest delivers that. Why it would have to rank in the top 10 for speed, drop, length or height to be good and why they make it seem that Disney has to defend itself with the "it's about the story" line is beyond me.

ToTBellHop

I agree...I'll take Everest over Kingda Kaa any day...tallest and fastest means nothing if it lasts 20 seconds and its story is...who even knows? Mythical god that morphed into a rollercoaster? Since when are any of the coasters in Florida record breaking--none of them are the tallest, fastest, or longest on the planet. They are, however, some of the most fun.

jrobinson424

If you build the coasters, they will come. I know some of the folks here will hang me again for this one. They will say "IOA has had a drop in attendance and they have thrill rides." Or, "Thrill rides are just not Disney." I say Bull Sugar. Disney is what it is. Anything they put their name on is already a hit before it ever premeirs. Being a movie, a theme park, a ride, or clothing. Once again, I believe they need to take a chance and build a Thrill Park. I don't buy into the idea that you can't tell a wondeful story with thrill rides. Look at Duelin Dragons at IOA. By far, that is one of the best ques ever. Disney is a gold mine and every thing they touch turns to gold, expect Stitch's Great Escape.

Computer Magic

orlandorealtor said:
Now it's really going to be packed for the previews next weekend.

On another note: "The Slantinel" and their drama headline .. "Disney's $100 Million Gamble. Almost every E-ticket is around 100 million.
:cry: My little baby AK has grown up. It was such a nice secret the park empty and all to our selves.

The questions becomes do I go to EE or Safari when the park first opens

Computer Magic

ISTCNavigator57 said:
I agree...I'll take Everest over Kingda Kaa any day...tallest and fastest means nothing if it lasts 20 seconds and its story is...who even knows? Mythical god that morphed into a rollercoaster? Since when are any of the coasters in Florida record breaking--none of them are the tallest, fastest, or longest on the planet. They are, however, some of the most fun.
tallest, fastest, or longest on the planet only last so long before someone tops it. A story can last a lifetime :D

peter11435

jrobinson424 said:
If you build the coasters, they will come. I know some of the folks here will hang me again for this one. They will say "IOA has had a drop in attendance and they have thrill rides." Or, "Thrill rides are just not Disney." I say Bull Sugar. Disney is what it is. Anything they put their name on is already a hit before it ever premeirs. Being a movie, a theme park, a ride, or clothing. Once again, I believe they need to take a chance and build a Thrill Park. I don't buy into the idea that you can't tell a wondeful story with thrill rides. Look at Duelin Dragons at IOA. By far, that is one of the best ques ever. Disney is a gold mine and every thing they touch turns to gold, expect Stitch's Great Escape.

The problem with a thrill park is that you limit your audience. And for the most park the thrill audience is not the biggest spending audience. Lets not forget as ISTCNavigator57 says that Disney has the most popular theme parks in the world even though they do not have any of the worlds tallest, fastest, or scariest thrill rides.

dandaman

Computer Magic said:
:cry: My little baby AK has grown up. It was such a nice secret the park empty and all to our selves.

FP for KS, than standby for E:E. :wave: :lol:

yensidtlaw1969

Computer Magic said:

Fast Pass for EE, Run to safari (I mean it, RUN!) Then stop at Flight's of Wonder to wait out your Fastpass Time (assuming there is time and that a show is about to start).

Atleast, that's what I would do :wave:

Yensid "I should become a vacation planner . . . maybe not" tlaw1969

1disneydood

They say that they want EE to make visitors stay another day? :lol: Yeah, mmmmkay. One ride dosen't add another day. It means I'll just skip chesters and hesters and ride EE instead.

SirGoofy

ISTCNavigator57 said:

Plus, Kingda Ka NEVER WORKS! EVER! I live in Jersey and go to Great Adventure many times each year. I visited 4 times this year and the ride was operating once, and I didn't even get to ride it that time. I waited in line for 1 1/2 hours, and it broke down right before I was about to ride. Talk about a disappointment. Yea, and it has no story, although the area around it is very well themed.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
1disneydood said:
They say that they want EE to make visitors stay another day? :lol: Yeah, mmmmkay. One ride dosen't add another day. It means I'll just skip chesters and hesters and ride EE instead.

Most people skip 1 of the 4 at WDW. This makes AK a "must-do" so that will bring up the attendance, and in some cases, up the total number of days. However, this will probably also hurt MGM.

Epcot has staying power with TT, M:S. and Soarin - and if you've got kids Turtle Talk is a big draw too - but MGM's rides like Tower and RnRc are getting "old" and repeat visitors will say "been there, done that - let's try AK."

Of course, most folks don't skip ever skip MK ;)

imagineersrock

Computer Magic said:

No kidding! I went back to previews today hoping to ride a few more times around 3pm... The entire AK lot was full (they were even using the grass to park cars.)

By 4:30pm the park was actually still full, the entire parade route was lined with guests, and EE had a 115 minute standby wait(only got to ride once today--thanks to the temporary single-rider line they made out of tape on the ground)

.......... I'm really starting to get the feeling Everest will change the way we know AK forever!:)

mousermerf said:
Most people skip 1 of the 4 at WDW. This makes AK a "must-do" so that will bring up the attendance, and in some cases, up the total number of days. However, this will probably also hurt MGM.
yeah, when I went to WDW in 2001, My family thought about going to AK, but there wasen't any interest. Next time we go, I will say, "We can go to whatever...BUT WE HAVE TO RIDE E:E!!!!!":wave:

Computer Magic

imagineersrock said:
thanks to the temporary single-rider line they made out of tape on the ground)

You mean they didn't plan a single rider or it's just not ready yet?:lol:

I'm really starting to get the feeling Everest will change the way we know AK forever!:)
That's how I feel :cry:

JMelrose

I think this article totally neglects where I think E:E will make back some of its 100M: locals and APs. It's not just about making people add an extra day onto their stay... most people's stays are locked into school schedules, 3-day weekends, vacation time. However, if AK, which HAS been a pretty much half-day park, suddenly becomes a place where people spend more time, then it's likely DAK will generate more money through concessions, souvenirs, etc, and there's where they'll recoup the expenses.

Next up: expansion of animal areas.

I'm still hoping they'll do a dark ride based on Timon and Pumba's "Night Safari" from the Lion King DVD. That sure seems like an idea that could become the next Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. And DAK could use a good dark ride that doesn't involve dodging meteors and dinosaurs.

(Or, alternately... a "Buzz Lightyear"-style ride with the theme of Bambi? KIDDING!!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom