New 350 room DVC tower coming to Disneyland Hotel

TP2000

Remember, the PPH is not part of the DLR Specific Plan, where Disney has a lot more freedom to do things. The PPH is its own Island, and part of the Anaheim Resort Specific Plan, which has a lot more rules, including much more city oversight and say. It has to have its own parking, besides other things. And yes, TP2000 brings up something I am not allowed to talk about, and haven't for decades.

So the PPH is a weird little situation. To be honest, every wish list I have heard from DLR folks is to tear it completely down (Parking included) and start from scratch. Of course, that is not currently in the cards.

You may not be able to talk about it, but I can.

Unlike Las Vegas or a SOAR meeting, what happens in Villa Park doesn't have to stay in Villa Park. ;)

That's a great point on how the Paradise Pier Hotel does NOT appear within Disney property on the Anaheim Resort planning documents, because of that weird agreement with the Japanese developer who still gets a cut of all the profits from that hotel. The Paradise Pier Hotel land shows up that way on official planning documents available via Anaheim's city website, like the updated 2017 map seen here where the Paradise Pier Hotel is shaded in red... http://anaheim.net/DocumentCenter/View/2474/Anaheim-Resort-Specific-Plan-Map?bidId=

And yes, GardenWalk and a few other chunks of land are not shaded in red. There's a property development firm in Dubai that is not happy about that, while Paul Kott ordered a bottle of very good champagne over that, but then that was fodder at another cocktail party that Disney wouldn't want you to know about. :cool:

Last edited:

Franklin47disneyguy

Actually they can't. If they demo the hotel they owe even more money to the Japanese property owner. It's cheaper for Disney to keep it running as-is and pay off their 8% annually.

But they can build rooms on that parking lot right? I can see a revival of the eastern gateway, now that the relation with the city is better.

TP2000

But they can build rooms on that parking lot right? I can see a revival of the eastern gateway, now that the relation with the city is better.

They can do whatever they want with that parking lot, but they are saving it for future use. It's prime real estate.

But the eyesore that is the 1980's Paradise Pier Hotel is a major roadblock, both literally and figuratively, to any development there for the time being.

paradise-pier-hotel.jpg

Last edited:

Robbiem

Wasn’t Paradise Pier hotel (and Disneyland Hotel) originally going to be knocked down as part of the westcot plans? How would this have affected the Japanese contract or was it at a time when Disney didn’t care so much about what it would cost?

lazyboy97o

Wasn’t Paradise Pier hotel (and Disneyland Hotel) originally going to be knocked down as part of the westcot plans? How would this have affected the Japanese contract or was it at a time when Disney didn’t care so much about what it would cost?
The WestCOT plans predate Disney's acquisition of the Pan Pacific Hotel. If you look at the WestCOT master plans you will see that the Pan Pacific Hotel is actually a little untouched island.

TP2000

The WestCOT plans predate Disney's acquisition of the Pan Pacific Hotel. If you look at the WestCOT master plans you will see that the Pan Pacific Hotel is actually a little untouched island.

Here's the Westcot plan from the early 1990's. Look at that little island at center left just above the number 6 on this map, where the Pan Pacific is (now the Paradise Pier Hotel).

ec89157b3a29a897a1b6c91fd8902c37.jpg

Robbiem

Here's the Westcot plan from the early 1990's. Look at that little island at center left just above the number 6 on this map, where the Pan Pacific is (now the Paradise Pier Hotel).

Thanks I always assumed Disney owned the hotel when westcot was planned, would have been interesting to see a third party hotel surrounded by a Disney resort kinda like the bonnet creek area in Florida

buymeanapple

I wonder when the PP hotel will finally be out from under that contract. Sucks that it is just being allowed to sit there stuck in time especially since it has such a great view of DCA....

TP2000

What's also interesting about that circa 1990 Resort map is the big ride warehouse they built beyond the berm where half of Star Wars Land is now. They knew that was expansion area even then, but were still thinking kind of small compared to Star Wars Land. While the Disneyland Railroad maintains its circa 1966 route, the Rivers of America maintains its 1955 layout, and the Skyway and PeopleMover still exist.

And the Indiana Jones complex was also slotted in as an existing building, while Toontown was still not quite fleshed out.

I bet those designers circa 1990 would be amazed at the massive physical changes made to Disneyland park by 2020, while the "Resort" expansion that grew up around it all looks rather mundane and only a shadow of their bold plans from 1990. That's the ongoing fallout of Paul Pressler's dark era.

EPCOTCenterLover

What's also interesting about that circa 1990 Resort map is the big ride warehouse they built beyond the berm where half of Star Wars Land is now. They knew that was expansion area even then, but were still thinking kind of small compared to Star Wars Land. While the Disneyland Railroad maintains its circa 1966 route, the Rivers of America maintains its 1955 layout, and the Skyway and PeopleMover still exist.

And the Indiana Jones complex was also slotted in as an existing building, while Toontown was still not quite fleshed out.

I bet those designers circa 1990 would be amazed at the massive physical changes made to Disneyland park by 2020, while the "Resort" expansion that grew up around it all looks rather mundane and only a shadow of their bold plans from 1990. That's the ongoing fallout of Paul Pressler's dark era.
You mean WESTCOT? There's a plan and decision I'd love to hear more about!

DanielBB8

Actually they can't. If they demo the hotel they owe even more money to the Japanese property owner. It's cheaper for Disney to keep it running as-is and pay off their 8% annually.
Is Disney a bad negotiator? They buy up everything and proceed to ruin it. Hmmm. Galaxy’s Edge, Star Wars, Disneyland Resort, Fox.

Ismael Flores

I wish they would go ahead with those plans for that property. That hotel with the water feature would be a welcome addition to that area and at least give the Paradise Pier hotel a sense of belonging to the resort.

Disney Analyst

I wonder if they’ll build a grander lobby with this tower, to replace the former? Kind of like what they’ve done with other tower expansions at WDW.

Then they could slowly demo and rebuild new towers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom