New 350 room DVC tower coming to Disneyland Hotel

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disney has shared a special look at The Villas at Disneyland Hotel.

There will also be a virtual livestream of the grand opening event on September 28, 2023 at 10:30am PT / 1:30pm ET at the link below.

Disney Analyst

I always thought they would bulldoze the other towers for the new look. Since they just updated them, I doubt that will ever happen.

Hotels have to be updated regardless, I don't think that would deter them from slowly demolishing an old tower and replacing it, especially as Disneyland Forward comes into focus.

DrAlice

I'm no designer, but I just don't like the color scheme. I don't think it blends well with the blue of the other towers. If they'd painted the other towers something warmer (or this was in cooler tones), I would be fine with this.

Again, what do I know? 🤷‍♀️

And, at these prices, I will never stay in any of the towers, so my opinion really doesn't matter. 🤪🤣

TP2000

I genuinely don't understand this reaction. This is orders of magnitude uglier and more generic than the Poly tower but it's getting heaped with praise while Poly tower is getting dumped on.

Disneyland fanboiis are truly a different breed.

I think it's because the rest of the Disneyland Hotel is so incredibly generic and ugly, that by comparison this new Kansas City Sheraton DVC Tower seems overwhelming to some fans who don't travel much.

The Disneyland Hotel was built in the 1960's and 70's, and not by Disney. It is a generic complex that has not aged well and looks very bland and dowdy this far into the 21st century. So by simply plopping a modern Sheraton onto one side of the complex, it seems like a huge upgrade. AMAAAAZING!!! 🫤

But then, I'm likely extra cynical about the ugly towers of the Disneyland Hotel because I just spent the weekend at the Fairmont in Banff, which actually deserves the adjective "amazing" in honest English usage...

Not only was it physically gorgeous, the service was impeccable. Employees were polished, well trained, sharply groomed and uniformed, elegant demeanors, not a tatted up hostess or greasy haired host in sight. Out in the middle of nowhere.

canadian-rockies-train-tour-grand-circle-8.webp

Fairmont_Banff_Springs_golf_simulator.jpg

Last edited:

mlayton144

I think it's because the rest of the Disneyland Hotel is so incredibly generic and ugly, that by comparison this new Kansas City Sheraton DVC Tower seems overwhelming to some fans who don't travel much.

The Disneyland Hotel was built in the 1960's and 70's, and not by Disney. It is a generic complex that has not aged well and looks very bland and dowdy this far into the 21st century. So by simply plopping a modern Sheraton onto one side of the complex, it seems like a huge upgrade. AMAAAAZING!!! 🫤

But then, I'm likely extra cynical about the ugly towers of the Disneyland Hotel because I just spent the weekend at the Fairmont in Banff, which actually deserves the adjective "amazing" in honest English usage...

Not only was it physically gorgeous, the service was impeccable. Employees were polished, well trained, sharply groomed and uniformed, elegant demeanors, not a tatted up hostess or greasy haired host in sight. Out in the middle of nowhere.

canadian-rockies-train-tour-grand-circle-8.webp

Fairmont_Banff_Springs_golf_simulator.jpg
As beautiful the facility and surroundings are of that postcard picture, did you have even a moment where you saw out of the corner of your eye Jack Nicholson with an axe in his hand ?

TP2000

As beautiful the facility and surroundings are of that postcard picture, did you have even a moment where you saw out of the corner of your eye Jack Nicholson with an axe in his hand ?

Nope. That's Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood, down in Oregon.

I'm in Alberta, hundreds of miles away where he can't get me. But it was also reassuring to have plenty of people here. 🤣

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I genuinely don't understand this reaction. This is orders of magnitude uglier and more generic than the Poly tower but it's getting heaped with praise while Poly tower is getting dumped on.

Disneyland fanboiis are truly a different breed.
It looks nice. By Anaheim hotel standards it’s elite (very low bar). The visual effects on the building ARE very cool and unique. The dramatic lighting is fun. It doesn’t match the other towers, which are hideous, so that’s fine.

It’s a huge upgrade to the Disneyland hotel. It would be a downgrade to like the Boardwalk area at WDW but that’s not where it is.

Disney Analyst

It looks nice. By Anaheim hotel standards it’s elite (very low bar). The visual effects on the building ARE very cool and unique. The dramatic lighting is fun. It doesn’t match the other towers, which are hideous, so that’s fine.

It’s a huge upgrade to the Disneyland hotel. It would be a downgrade to like the Boardwalk area at WDW but that’s not where it is.

It also fits the Disneyland vibe quite nicely IMO. If they slowly redo the entire Disneyland Hotel property like that, it would be a nice redo.

mlayton144

It also fits the Disneyland vibe quite nicely IMO. If they slowly redo the entire Disneyland Hotel property like that, it would be a nice redo.
How does it fit the Disneyland vibe? A nondescript glass tower mismatching the other buildings on the same property. adding 1000 guests to common amenities that are already overcrowded matches a Disneyland vibe?

Disney Analyst

How does it fit the Disneyland vibe? A nondescript glass tower mismatching the other buildings on the same property. adding 1000 guests to common amenities that are already overcrowded matches a Disneyland vibe?

I've already previously shared why I like the design :)

I do not see a nondescript glass tower, if anything the original towers are far more nondescript. This is a nice upgrade, mid-century modern, good vibes, looks really nice at night. It's the kind of place I'd like to hangout, and it photographs quite nicely in the images I have seen. The interior looks nicely designed, with unique Disney touches.

ETA: Not that I can afford to stay, I would never pay for a Disneyland Hotel due to the pricing. But I really enjoy the new tower, and I hope they transform the rest of the Disneyland Hotel property to match. :)

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I don’t know how you can call a building that is practically screaming with yellow accents “nondescript”. Are we looking at the same thing? You don’t have to like it but it’s annything but inert.

mlayton144

I've already previously shared why I like the design :)

I do not see a nondescript glass tower, if anything the original towers are far more nondescript. This is a nice upgrade, mid-century modern, good vibes, looks really nice at night. It's the kind of place I'd like to hangout, and it photographs quite nicely in the images I have seen. The interior looks nicely designed, with unique Disney touches.

ETA: Not that I can afford to stay, I would never pay for a Disneyland Hotel due to the pricing. But I really enjoy the new tower, and I hope they transform the rest of the Disneyland Hotel property to match. :)
I agree that the interiors are nice

mlayton144

I don’t know how you can call a building that is practically screaming with yellow accents “nondescript”. Are we looking at the same thing? You don’t have to like it but it’s annything but inert.

Hmmmm , I would say that more goes into the structure than it’s colors - it fits in a way that it is also 14 stories like the other towers are >10 stories :)

TP2000

It doesn’t match the other towers, which are hideous, so that’s fine.

Well, that's a valid point. The rest of the hotel does look bad, I agree. And this looks better, at least. So there's that.

Faint praise, to be sure, but I think that's about as good as it will get for Disney's current standards.

If they slowly redo the entire Disneyland Hotel property like that, it would be a nice redo.

That's an interesting selling point.... "Check back in 2034 and this hotel is going to look great!"

Disney Analyst

Livestream for grand opening has begun:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom