New 2013 WDW Ticket Prices

Goofyernmost

Cast members only get a raise if there is a provision within the contract from the labor union. Disney does not willingly give raises on its own like most companies.
Whenever a union contract is involved they cannot give raises on their own. They follow the agreed to rates. That is true of any union based business. Some that I have worked for even follow those guidelines for management. If the union contract calls for a 5% increase, that's exactly what management gets. No merit based raises are even considered. I guess it's easier that way.

ParentsOf4

As much as I don't like this, maybe they are planning to use the added profit to make some new additions to the park.

I know that's very optimistic thinking these days but you never know.
Disney CEO Bob Iger received an $8M raise. Add in Disney's several hundred senior executives and I think I know exactly where a lot of the ticket price increases are going.

Krsta Richline

I think Walt would be turning over in his grave if he new how much tickets cost to get into the parks he created. He built these parks for everyone at an affordable rate. And its sad that its getting to the point that only the upper class will be able to afford to go. Disney should hang their heads in shame. I guess if people keeping paying these absurd prices, then Disney will keep raising prices every year. They don't realize that alot of people don't get cost of living adjustments in their pay checks each year. I know I certainly don't see an adjustment or raise in our paycheck each year. But I guess to Disney they are living in their own "Fantasy Land."

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
alot.png

This is all I see when confronted with that word...

PhotoDave219

Disney CEO Bob Iger received an $8M raise. Add in Disney's several hundred senior executives and I think I know exactly where a lot of the ticket price increases are going.

Drug. Dealer. Profits.

They neither care about their customers nor their employers. They only care about lining their own pockets after getting stock options as part of compensation. The stock price goes up, they cash in the options and get rich.

My analogy stands.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Drug. Dealer. Profits.

They neither care about their customers nor their employers. They only care about lining their own pockets after getting stock options as part of compensation. The stock price goes up, they cash in the options and get rich.

My analogy stands.

Where are McNulty and Bunk when you need them?

captainkidd

"Screwing us over" please...

It's a good, we place value on it, we pay for it... Not forced on us. If we do not value the product then we can simple choose to not participate

I was referring to the gas companies. Should have separated that. We need gas.

Disney we don't need. So, no, they're not "screwing us over". I'd say a better term is taking advantage of us.

Maerj

If they kept their rates at a reasonable level, we would go there more often and stay longer. Thus, they'd be making more money if they'd stop raising their prices. If more people can afford to go, the more people will go. The more they will spend on food, souvenirs, etc. But having an Iger is expensive...

I tell non-Disney fans about the prices, and this has been for years, and their jaws drop. They say they'll never go there because they can't afford it. I know Disney wants to be ahead of Universal due to the perception of value but I think they are just getting to the point where they are scaring the average person away and frustrating their fans who are on a budget.

RWilliams

Premium Member
Drug. Dealer. Profits.

My analogy stands.
As a cast member and lifelong Disney fan I couldn't agree with your statement more. The corporate culture of the company over the past 7-8 years has been so disheartening. I realize that the main goal is profit and big payouts for the stockholders but they could at least attempt to give the appearance of caring about their guests and cast. As a cast member I go above and beyond to make my guests feel special because its just so blatantly obvious that all the company cares about is wringing every last penny out of them- someone needs to care about the guest! It's sad! Quality product for a premium price? not these days!

Polydweller

The problem is, profit reports are made public.
We've known for years that the oil companies are screwing us over. And we know the same about Disney.

And why shouldn't it be discussed? It's a Disney topic and this is a Disney message board.
When UNI follows suit, and they will, please come back and rant how they are screwing us over. The percentage will be the same.

Goofyernmost

I think Walt would be turning over in his grave if he new how much tickets cost to get into the parks he created. He built these parks for everyone at an affordable rate. And its sad that its getting to the point that only the upper class will be able to afford to go. Disney should hang their heads in shame. I guess if people keeping paying these absurd prices, then Disney will keep raising prices every year. They don't realize that alot of people don't get cost of living adjustments in their pay checks each year. I know I certainly don't see an adjustment or raise in our paycheck each year. But I guess to Disney they are living in their own "Fantasy Land."

The above is the price for WDW in 1983. Cheap isn't it? Well, consider this. At the time the average person was making $350.00 per week or much, much less (minimum wage was $3.35 per hour). Out of that we had to pay for housing, in my case two cars, utilities, food for a family of four and necessary clothing, etc. for two young children, health insurance, life insurance, car insurance and vacations. It was more of a chore to come up with the money for those above shown prices then it is for me to pay for it now. All things are relative. It may seem like things are extremely expensive and if you compare it with what it costs for other venues, Disney is practically giving it away. 12 or more straight hours of rides, entertainment, spectacular sights and sounds, parades, fireworks and all for, at most, $100.00 per day. (almost no one pays that actually)

That said...the one place that they do indeed gouge the public is for hotel rooms. There is not any possible way to justify those rates. None! The parks are just reasons to get you to stay in a resort, those are cheap, it's everything else that is over the top. That includes meals.

bubbles1812

When UNI follows suit, and they will, please come back and rant how they are screwing us over. The percentage will be the same.
I think people see a difference between Uni and Disney at the moment. While Disney seems to be raising prices just for the sake of raising prices (sorry but I don't think anything in NFE justifies a price increase), Universal is at least offering/will offer new big things that are pushing the limits of theme park entertainment. So I think the price increases there are much easier to swallow because at least you can see Universal is trying to offer more than a crappy new website.

BoarderPhreak

Here's an idea... Instead of WDW, take a vacation to some place like... Costa Rica. Dominican Republic. Mexico. Timbuktu. Doesn't matter. Do you know how much the average week-long Disney vacation for two adults ($3-4k) would buy in such places?! You'll be the prince and princess instead of gawking at them in a parade.

I know, sacrilege right? ;)

ParentsOf4

Sorry about that, typo, I'll fix it.
I was one of those who bought the 3-day passport ticket in 1983 for $35. (Price included tax.) At $3.35/hour minimum wage, that means it took about 11 hours (ignoring income tax) to pay for a 3-day ticket. Today, adjusted for inflation, that 3-day ticket would be about $82.

With the latest increase, a 3-day hopper costs $341.87, or about 47 hours of work at today's minimum wage of $7.25/hour.

You might find WDW more affordable today because of your circumstances but, as you can see from the above prices, most do not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom