Nervous! Booked a flight for the first time!

Britt

Bring STUFF. Bring games, movies, coloring books, BOOKS, maps of Disney and your plans. (how long is your flight?)

We brought snacks (sealed original packaging), and then bought water on the other side.

Check your AND MCO's airport security policies and make sure to follow them to a TEE if you want to make it through quickly.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
Bring STUFF. Bring games, movies, coloring books, BOOKS, maps of Disney and your plans. (how long is your flight?)

We brought snacks (sealed original packaging), and then bought water on the other side.

Check your AND MCO's airport security policies and make sure to follow them to a TEE if you want to make it through quickly.
It's only a 2 hr 15 min flight.:) Thanks Britt!:D

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
Bring gum for take off and landing to help with adjusting to the different pressures. I generally bring a book but you'll usually catch me just looking out the window! (Love doing that. Our world is beautiful from above.) Flying is safer than riding in an automobile. I have every confidence you'll do well.
Thank you bubbles.:D I told my boys they could chew gum, and they were happy.:) Ah... the little things in life!:)

Upvote 0

Alison1975

Bring gum for take off and landing to help with adjusting to the different pressures. I generally bring a book but you'll usually catch me just looking out the window! (Love doing that. Our world is beautiful from above.) Flying is safer than riding in an automobile. I have every confidence you'll do well.

can we bring our own gum? I havent flown since pre-9/11 and have to look into what we can and cant bring through security

Upvote 0

PUSH

I've only flown once in 2006 or 2007 to Disney. I took my iPod and some gum for pressure changes. My ears still felt goofy after we landed. If one of your boys is nervous, put him in the window seat. I know it seems weird, but it helped me when I was nervous for the flight.

Also, allow for plenty of time to get through security. It's even tighter now than it was a couple of years ago.

Upvote 0

Bethypoo

I have flown many times since 9/11 and it is a bit more of a hassle, but I don't mind their taking precautions. Even though I have flown dozens of times, I like to have a glass of wine or something before the flight to relax me. It seems to help. Unless it's an early morning flight. Then I would choose a mimosa, of course. Everything will be fine and your boys will love it. It's funny how we feel safer in a car even though it's a much more dangerous form of transportation than flying!

Upvote 0

Clamman73

Hello everyone! I booked our flights today through WDW Travel. I added onto our reservation. It was easy over the phone! It'll be our boys' first flight!:) We haven't flown since 1997 ( pre 911).:eek: I am excited, but a bit scared. I have only flown that 1 other time ( honeymoon to Hawaii). Any advice?

Whaaat...you haven't been on the Orlando airport tram/monorail before???? You know it's Disney time once you get on it...

But the advice...
Have a print out of ticket and license handy
Easy on and off shoes
Try not to have any metal on you so when you walk through the scanner so it doesn't go off
Laptop goes in separate bin through the scanner / iPad can stay in bag
Bring some extra snacks for everyone.

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

Gum is fine. Just pack any liquids/lotions/creams into your checked luggage. Anything under 3 oz is okay but I always through that stuff into our checked stuff or onto our garden grocer order to be safe. Just stay calm, don't stress. Bring stuff to keep the kids busy for the flight and let them have the window seat, it's more distracting.
I never flew before 9-11 so it's all I know. My first flight ever was in 2006 and I was a mess. I'm not a big fan but it's worth it to get there faster with kids for me now. Making sure that they are happy and busy keeps me calm and distracted.

Upvote 0

luv

It's a short flight. What is it for you? 2, 2.5 hours? 20 minutes going up and 20 minutes going down takes a chunk off. :)

I have trouble reading on planes and am not sure why. I always put off reading the latest National Geographic until I'm on the plane. It's easy reading and has loads of pictures. It's my go-to for flying. I also watch TV sometimes. If you aren't sure if your plane will have screens, you can always bring something along. DVD players are cheap now.

Gum is fine. I don't know that it helps any, but I chew all the time, anyway, so always chew on the plane.

You can bring food and drink on the plane, you just can't take it through security. So if you wanted, you could buy something for the boys and feed them during the flight, which would take up time. They'll probably be so excited about looking out the window that it won't matter. Mountains look beautiful from the plane. Hope they get to see them!

Birds fly every day and aren't scared...and they have bird brains!! Be as smart as the birds and chill out. :)

I won't even wish you luck because you don't need it. It'll be fine.

Eta: Orlando's airport is exceptionally well marked. You would almost have to be brain-dead to get lost. Giant letters up on the wall. Giant numbers. They all glow. And when you get off, if you don't know where to collect baggage, just follow the crowd. They do. :)

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

My flight from Columbus, Ohio is a shade under 2 hours. It goes by so fast. Your kids will be so excited looking out the windows and the plane will be chock full of other families traveling to WDW. Bring something for the kids to do...ipods, hand-held games...something to pass the short amount of time they'll need it. For a couple years I used to have a copy of the Orlando airport's layout, but really, you either head left or right (A or B) after the "monorail" to claim your bags. You can go to the airport's web site to find out if your bags will go to A or B by your flight (Southwest, Delta, United, etc.) I always wear sandles that I can kick off easily. Just think of how quickly you will be at your Happy Place from the moment you take off!

Upvote 0

MouseDreaming

If anybody doesn't like gum, other chewy things work, too. Jellybeans, Starburst is what comes to mind.
The tram ride to the main terminal is fun, too. By the way, after that, I have managed to go the wrong way to get to Magical Express...third time was the charm. If you feel like you have been turned around, so to speak, feel free to ask someone.
By the way, they take the 3 oz thing very seriously at MCO. I was behind a woman in line in security, and she was very upset with the TSA agent who threw out her very expensive mascara. It was over the allotment. So, if you are in doubt, put it in your suitcase. If you collect snowglobes, don't think you are taking it on the plane. Ship it home.
Sit back and relax. Nobody will be too exhausted when you get to the world to enjoy it right away. Take advantage of DME and let them get the suitcases for you (remember to pack what you need right away in a carry on, as your suitcases might not make it to your room for a while).

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

While I haven't flown in a while, I used to fly pretty regularly and still had moments where I'd get nervous. Honestly, flying with the kids makes it easier b/c I spend so much time keeping them entertained that I often forget to be nervous. Thankfully, your flight isn't too long, but if you plan in enough distractions...you'll be golden. And while I don't know all of the approach routes...maybe you'll get lucky and be able to see WDW from the air. I also make sure I have a book I can quietly read to them when electronic devices aren't OK to be on as well as coloring options. Beyond that, just give yourself enough time for security at the aiport and read up on the rules so you don't have any issues.

Upvote 0

Amanda Ross

I generally bring a book but you'll usually catch me just looking out the window!
2a3.jpg

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom