Nervous! Booked a flight for the first time!

meklein

I fly with my two kids by myself fairly often. Both girls had their first flight before they were a year old. If you are nervous and upset about flying, they will be too. You've received good advice here, so be happy and relaxed about it - they will follow your lead! Don't overpack (esp. your carry-on). I pack each girl a small, light backpack with a few crayons (cheap ones in case they drop them/lose them), a coloring book and something to read and perhaps a light jacket/blanket and/or stuffed animal. I find a two hour flight is usually not worth it to bring tons of entertainment for the kids. I've brought the dvd player a couple of times, but I find it not worth the bulk because by the time you are at an altitude to be able to use it, figuring in the landing time as well, that usually doesn't leave enough time to watch a whole movie. Goodness knows you won't need the dvd player once you are at Disney!:) Once you ace the flying thing with your kids this time, you will think you were insane to not do it this way every time! There really is no better way to get to the fun!

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Thank you bubbles.:D I told my boys they could chew gum, and they were happy.:) Ah... the little things in life!:)

Gum is OK, but if you don't normally chew gum, it's absolutely OK to hold your nose and gently blow air into the e-tubes in your ears until you feel/hear them pop. This will not hurt. Many doctors recommend this puffing exercise if you are having problems in the spring/fall with ears having a feeling of 'closing up'.

Upvote 0

bubbles1812

LOVE the Skymall catalog!
Sky mall is awesome. I can't believe some of the things they sell in there. Personal favs include the wine glass holder necklace, day of the week clock, the dog poop vacuum, and the inflatable pillow tie... Yes you read that right. A tie you can blow up for you know naps during the middle of meetings. Honorable mention to the protein fortified ketchup. And the toilet training set for cats, complete with multiple sized rings.

Upvote 0

journ116

Hello everyone! I booked our flights today through WDW Travel. I added onto our reservation. It was easy over the phone! It'll be our boys' first flight!:) We haven't flown since 1997 ( pre 911).:eek: I am excited, but a bit scared. I have only flown that 1 other time ( honeymoon to Hawaii). Any advice?

I was hoping to get my post in yesterday, but it was my "day off from the computer" ;)! I can feel the OP's sense of uncertainty, because I feel it every time we fly (and as a family, we fly 1-2 times a year). But, so long as I am prepared and generally know what to expect from the whole airport/airline process, I become somewhat more flexible for the 'unexpected' situations, if any. Here's what has worked for me and my family of 4 time and time again:

1. As someone else mentioned, check your airlines checked baggage and carry-on policies before you start packing: we typically fly AirTran and know that for each paid seat, we get 1 carry-on and one personal item (i.e. purse, coat, small backpack, etc.). And, for a week-long trip, I pack 1 large bag and 1 medium-sized bag which act as our checked baggage.

2. Review what items are acceptable to take thru security on TSA's website: The "3-1-1 Rule" for ANY liquids, gels and creams (includes hand lotion, sanitizer, chapstick, Banaca, etc.) you would like to pack in your carry-on: item must be 3 oz. or less, must fit in 1 quart-sized bag, and each passenger gets 1 baggie. As a courtesy to the travelers around you AND to make your experience with security swifter, have these baggies in a very accessible area in your carry-on. Gum and dried goods are acceptable items. I take 2 packs of gum, a few lollies and a decent amount of snacks in their original packaging. PB&J sandwiches (and others of the like) are prohibited to make their way with you thru security.

(*Oh, if you want to take batteries, like AAA, lithium-ions, etc., they must be placed in your carry-on and not your checked baggage, because they are considered a fire hazard. Either keep the batteries in their original packaging or in the electronic that it powers (i.e. camera).

3. Getting thru security: Because you have an early morning, non-stop flight out BWI, you should find the lines at security manageable; but before we even get into line, here's what I do:

-Remove everything from everyone's pockets, belts, 'unseen' jewelry, coats, sweatshirts, blazers, and hats; and empty the kids' cups. I then put those items in our carry-on tote right after we check-in our luggage. I also make sure everyone in my group is dressed in stretchy material (think leggings, sweatpants, t-shirts, etc.). The less metal on our persons, the better!! Oh, and so long as a TSA agent can see that lovely necklace, pretty earrings, or shiny ring, AND you haven't over-accessorized (including your hair), you'll be fine to just leave that jewelry on.

-Have everyone's airline ticket and ID's out (except for the kids). Because our children don't have ID's yet, I practice this with them: "What's your name? How old are you? Who are the people with you (i.e. mom, dad)? Where are you going today (unless you're making it a surprise trip)?" A TSA agent will ask your child at least one of these questions and don't be tempted to answer for them right away. My girls know that when either mommy or daddy are there, it's OK to answer a strangers question.

-Once you've passed the ID/ticket check, you'll be asked by another TSA agent to get in line for the security screening AND stay together. First thing I do, remove our quart-sized baggies and place them in their own bin. Then, grab a couple of more bins and place your shoes (except for kids: any child under the age of 12 can now leave their shoes on), ID's, tickets, and any other loose items in them (i.e. that coat you just couldn't fit into your carry-on). Much like your cellphone, iPads, iPods, or other tablets DO NOT have to be removed from your carry-on; laptops and portable DVD players MUST be removed and placed in a bin. Finally, put all your bins, carry-ons, stroller, car seat, etc. onto the belt to be screened. You cannot be carrying anything thru the detector (save a small child who is sleeping, cannot quite walk yet, or is wary of his/her surroundings). Lastly, my DH and I are in charge of one child each, while walking thru the detector: I go first, followed by my oldest DD, then our youngest DD (unless she's scared, then we're permitted to carry her), followed by my DH...this order lessens the chances of us being split up or someone getting the body scan.

-You made it thru security: collect your items, find a nearby bench, and re-organize yourselves. Put your ID's away, but not your tickets, you'll need them to board your flight:rolleyes:.

-Go to your gate and THEN do your potty breaks, pick up bottles of H2O, magazines, etc.:Better to know where your gate is first before getting sidetracked by the aroma of Starbuck's.
-At the gate: you'll probably remember what goes on here from year's past...but if not, here's a quick review: check your ticket to see what "ZONE" you're sitting in; grab a "GATE CHECK" tag if needed (i.e. for a stroller, etc.); about 30 minutes before your flight is scheduled to take off, boarding will begin (be sure to listen to the announcements, because sometimes they'll permit 'guests who need extra time' to board first...this includes families with young children).

4. Once on the plane: I make sure that my carry-on tote is not over-stuffed, this way I can place it under the seat in front of me. In this tote, I have our electronics, cups, gum, some snacks, and activity books with crayons. Please make sure all your electronics are turned off and ALL your items (except the snacks,cups, a coloring book, and pieces of gum) remained stowed until you've reached your cruising altitude (when one of the attendants makes an announcement that it's "safe to remove" said items). Before we take off, I make sure my DD's cups are full of H2O, they each have a crunchy snack, piece of gum, or lollipop, are occupied with an activity pad and crayons, and my DH and I are chewing our gum.

5. In the air: If it's an early morning flight, chances are one or both of our DD's takes a nap! If not, I practice the fine art of distraction.

6. You've made it to MCO: If you're partaking in DME and tagged your luggage, you'll exit into a bigger terminal, hop the airport monorail to "SIDE B" and make your way down to "LEVEL 1." Exit to your LEFT out of the elevators; DME is located at the very end. Have your DME booklet handy and follow the signs to be checked-in. Know this: DME makes up to 4 stops and can take up to an hour to make it to your resort.
After all that planning and stressing over airline travel, you can finally breathe a sigh of relief: you've made it to your happiest destination!! :D

Upvote 0

journ116

Thank you so much journ16. Very informative!:D

You're welcome! I realize it was a bit lengthy, but I find being thorough has really helped other first-timers I've assisted with flying! Just remember to breath and know that there are probably several first-time flyers surrounding you! Oh, and smile; reminding yourself what's at the end of the tunnel should garner a grin!

Last thing: BWI is one of the nicest airports I've flown in and out of...from the ticket agents, to the TSA agents, to the overall 'feel!' Although MCO is nice (but forever 'under construction'), the security lines there can be maddening! No tips here for that.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom